No gas bill for a year!!!!!!

Options
We're a duel fuel customer for Eon and recently recieved a bill for 1 years worth of gas. Yes, we should have chased them up over it, however as we were recieving regular bills from Eon the gas slipped below the radar!!
Meter reading appear correct, so we now have a £450 bill for Christmas......
Our concern is due to the various price increases over the last year that we are being charged at the current (highest) rate. We have contacted Eon who have promised to get back to us regarding this (still waiting......) however wonder if any one has been in the same situation and how was it resolved?

Comments

• siren13577
    Options
    I'm surprised they let this linger on so long without contacting you, usually utility companies are keen on shoving everyone on direct debit. I had a look here:
    http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/EnergySupplyandPost/energysupply/managingbills/

and it says that after a complaint the energy companies have been told they should longer bill customers after two years (of non billing) but before this, if no bill had not been provided or produced it can be paid back over the period which it was used.

So your bill of a year could theoretically be paid back over a year, I presume on top of your monthly or quarterly direct debit. I'd arrange this asap so that you're not left wanting and perhaps get charges on the account. Either set up a direct debit or regular payment scheme, I think if it would be difficult for you, you could get the the debt put on a repayment meter and have a card or key to top it up.

I'd speak to the energy company as soon as you can to get this sorted and have no worry over christmas or the new year. Hope this helps and you get the result you need.

Happy Christmas!
    :A :

Siren

Keep Smiling:D

Eight words ye Wiccan Rede fulfill - An’ it harm none, Do what ye will.

• Icy1
    Options
    Thanks for the details, however we are reluctant to go to direct debit with the current horror stories of the increases in DD payments! Also where does this leave us with regards to the variations in prices?
  • savers_united
    Options
    Icy1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the details, however we are reluctant to go to direct debit with the current horror stories of the increases in DD payments! Also where does this leave us with regards to the variations in prices?

You say the meter readings are correct, so unless they actually read the meter then their estimates are pretty good.
    The bill they sent should have a breakdown of charges and when they were applied, if for example you have had no bill since Nov 07 to Nov 08 then you / they have a number of options.

1, If you were with them Nov 06 - Nov 07 they could copy that years usage pattern

2, Average the usage throughout the year i.e 20,000kWh / 12 = 1666kWh per month and then adjust it for the colder months, Nov - Feb + 60%.= 2665 kWh PM Mar - Oct - 60% = 666kWh.PM
    This will not work out exactly but you get the idea, other than this its their word against yours and with no records / regular readings it will be hard.

However with prices rising in Jan/Feb and Aug there is not much chance of avoiding the rises, especially during the colder months, it would seem a little strange to use less in winter than summer.
  • oldMcDonald
    Options
    Icy1 wrote: »
    We're a duel fuel customer for Eon and recently recieved a bill for 1 years worth of gas. Yes, we should have chased them up over it, however as we were recieving regular bills from Eon the gas slipped below the radar!!
    Meter reading appear correct, so we now have a £450 bill for Christmas......
    Our concern is due to the various price increases over the last year that we are being charged at the current (highest) rate. We have contacted Eon who have promised to get back to us regarding this (still waiting......) however wonder if any one has been in the same situation and how was it resolved?

Icy1, please, please, please come back and say how this worked out. I have posted here before regarding Eon not sending bills. I have been with Eon since February and they have the wrong meter number to our account and will not change it or send us a bill! We have phoned and phoned them and they say they will get it sorted but as yet have not. I am also concerned that we will get a huge bill, charging us at higher rates than we should have paid back at the begining of the year. I would really appreciate you letting us know how this works out.

Thanks, and good luck with getting it sorted without too much trouble :)
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Icy1 I have been with Eon since February and they have the wrong meter number to our account and will not change it or send us a bill! We have phoned and phoned them and they say they will get it sorted but as yet have not.

This sort of thing may be best resolved by a complaint to Consumer Direct (used to be Energywatch). They provide a complaints resolution service and in my experience this should get the matter resolved.

If they have the wrong meter number on their systems then this is actually a problem with the regional electricity supplier's data and this will need to be amended (probably including a visit to you by a metering person to confirm)

Good luck in getting your problem sorted. I hope you are keeping records of your meter readings on your meter so you know how many units should be charged at each batch of prices!
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • ukclarkkent
    Options
    i've just had the same thing myself, sorta.

switched over my elec-only meter to them back in april, kept paying my dd monthly but not getting any bills. i was asked for a meter reading back in oct so i gave one online but still no bills. i called them up myself about 4 weeks ago and they said i had to wait in one day to give the meter# to someone so i did and a week later i've got my 1st bill.

i've got a month's worth of money in credit at the end of it all so it was good news.

sounds like a common thing then...
  • ukclarkkent
    Options
    ah and as for the price increases since switching, someone from a call centre told me they'd average out over the term. it's not a true picture but i've got a similar amount of credit now as i did with swalec last year so i'm not going to go through their calculations. i can't be 4rsed really.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it happens with any supplier - we had no bill for over a year with npower.

It can be for any number of reasons, but sometimes is when a wrong meter reading has been entered so the billing system can't use it to bill, or if there is some problem with the setup of the account or the metering information.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I rang Eon when our bill arrived 3 days ago as the readings were wrong.
    Chappy on the phone said oh dear we've no readings from you since last December. Told DH that evening cause I thought I must have imagined people coming through the year. He went nuts and said that he'd let in at least 3 in the last 2 months when he was on lunch break!
    Thankfully we weren't miles out but it's still annoying. Why bother reading the meter and not submitting it?
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Icy1
    Options
    Icy1, please, please, please come back and say how this worked out. I have posted here before regarding Eon not sending bills. I have been with Eon since February and they have the wrong meter number to our account and will not change it or send us a bill! We have phoned and phoned them and they say they will get it sorted but as yet have not. I am also concerned that we will get a huge bill, charging us at higher rates than we should have paid back at the begining of the year. I would really appreciate you letting us know how this works out.

Thanks, and good luck with getting it sorted without too much trouble :)

Will do, back on the phone tomorrow............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure