EON Door to door salesman - help I've messed up

Options
Hi guys,

Had my first ever door to door gas/electricity salesman visit tonight. Seemed harmless enough, it's freezing outside so I let him tell me why I should change. He asked me for my signature to "confirm that I've spoken to you".

Asked him at the start "so I'm not signing up for anything, I'm just going to get sent details?", he said that was correct and that if I didn't do anything then I would just stay on Scottish gas.

Now, after reading the information he gave me when he left it turns out that I have just signed up to transfer my supply to EON. I have my 14 day cooling off period so I'll just call tomorrow. However, I'm concerned that in the info it claims that they will contact my current supplier to arrange the transfer within 5 days! I'm worried that this is going to affect my supply from British Gas.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I know I really need to tell these people to go away but I'm too soft! A quick phone call should sort this out!

Comments

• Keeping_Positive
    Options
    Aquick call should sort it out and if you want to a letter of complaint to follow. It does take a few days for things to start moving so as long as you call nothing should happen. The paperwork should give a number to ring to cancel.

Thankfully I havent been caught out but they do try just about anything so I can see how easy it would be especially when your guard is down and if you are like me I want to be able to trust people.
    :j
    May 2013 new beginnings:j
  • faraday_2
    Options
    Aquick call should sort it out and if you want to a letter of complaint to follow. It does take a few days for things to start moving so as long as you call nothing should happen. The paperwork should give a number to ring to cancel.

Thankfully I havent been caught out but they do try just about anything so I can see how easy it would be especially when your guard is down and if you are like me I want to be able to trust people.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it will be fine, just very annoyed with myself for not telling him to go away.

One thing I've been thinking about is that all I did was sign his electronic device thing. Surely that doesn't count as signing a contract?
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    faraday wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sure it will be fine, just very annoyed with myself for not telling him to go away.

One thing I've been thinking about is that all I did was sign his electronic device thing. Surely that doesn't count as signing a contract?
    Even if it does you still have a cooling off period to cancel within.
  • space_rider
    Options
    As everyone has stated just ring tomorrow to cancel. Because it was only done today it may not show on their records but I would keep ringing just to make sure.

I never open the door to anyone that I don`t know. I just say through the door that I am not interested and go back into the living room!
  • ghosty123
    Options
    Simply say two words. Fixed price. They go straight away and it does not matter if you are on a fixed price or not.
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    faraday wrote: »
    all I did was sign his electronic device thing. Surely that doesn't count as signing a contract?

Yes it does, but even if you were not missold to you would normally have 14 days from the date you entered into the contract to stop the switch.

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=61883&u=pg_dtl_art_news&m=pg_hdr_art

"Surprisingly, energy supplier E.on says it is unhappy that doorstep sales play such a crucial role in getting people to switch supplier.
    Chief executive Dr Paul Golby says he would prefer that the industry did not have to sell in this way, although a spokeswoman adds: “When we stopped field sales a number of years ago, we lost a considerable number of customers to our competitors.”
    Golby says E.on’s sellers are above reproach in this area. “All of our sales staff carry a handheld device with tariff information on it. If customers won’t get a saving by switching to E.on, we tell them that,” says a spokeswoman."
  • Nigella_2
    Options
    My last supplier sent a "Sorry you are leaving and get in contact if not switching after all"
    Also new supplier sent a welcome postcard.

I wouldn't worry as the industry knows about these problems and also you have your cancellation rights.
    You could report them to trading standards as been in the news before.
  • faraday_2
    Options
    Nigella wrote: »
    My last supplier sent a "Sorry you are leaving and get in contact if not switching after all"
    Also new supplier sent a welcome postcard.

I wouldn't worry as the industry knows about these problems and also you have your cancellation rights.
    You could report them to trading standards as been in the news before.

Yup, quick phone call confirmed things. I have signed on for EON (despite the what the guy said). I should have known better, but I'm too soft to tell them where to go!

Cooling off period to the rescue!

Thanks for the reply guys, was really tired last night and started panicking!
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are real sneaky gits. Is it any wonder we are distrustful of anyone coming to our doors with people like this using every tactic in the book to get a sale?

Glad you got it sorted anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport