Where To Get Balloon Flights Or Others For Cheap

I want to get a memorable wedding present for my brother and his new wife.  I only have just 6 weeks to do so.  Hot air balloon ride is my ideal present for them and have been looking at:

http://www.virginballoonflights.co.uk
http://www.virgin-experience.co.uk
http://www.maximise.co.uk/default2.asp?rightcontentid=1&minisiteid=1

Do anyone know of any other sites/shops that offers similar activities for a good price?  The location of the activity area should be in london and not too far out.  I will be out of pockets after this present, but hey its a one-off wedding present (so they say :) )

ps: any discount codes for virgin or other places would be great.

Comments

• mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,020
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i think boots and argos sell activity days out too.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You might find it cheaper to contact the operators direct (I would have thought it would be more expensive via Boots etc).

The organisation for commercial ballooning is BABO and their index of commercial oprators is here

http://babo.org.uk/commercial/index.html

You should be able to find some in your area. If you ring then then also ask them how long their waiting list is as well as price (some can have a long waiting list).

Hope that helps

P.S I am a balloon pilot - but only private not commercial.
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    ;) think it also depends on the weather so dont think one can book a direct day?
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • lisyloo
    Forumite
    think it also depends on the weather

As a pilot of 16 years I can tell you this is a massive understatement.

Ballooning is extremely weather dependent.

The practical limits for wind are about 15 knots.
    We also require a certain cloud base. This is because balloons can only fly VFR (visual flight rules) rather than IFR (instrument flight rules). Balloons cannot therefore fly in fog or cloud because they are reliant on seeing and being seen by other aircraft without instruments like radar.
    Also the wind direction can be a factor. For example if the wind is blowing out to sea in Bristol then you either have to be sure you have enough wind, light and gas to get to Wales or start further in land.
    Other obstacles are large cities, prohibited areas (power stations, military areas), seas or large areas that we can't land on like large area of crops, expensive race horses or unfriendly farmers that are likely to sue.

You will be very unlikely to get the day that you chose.
    You may also be unable to fly from the exact location you chose due to the reasons above. Most operators have a selection of launch sites and will use the most appropriate for the wind direction i.e. one most able to offer likely landing sites.
    Most operators also waiting lists.
    At this time of the year, the waiting lists will be large because there tends to be less flying over the winter.
    You may therefore find that you have to wait your turn.
    This is why I suggested asking for the length of the waiting list before making a booking.

Any specific questions about ballooning and I'll be glad to help.
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Thanks very much for the link lisyloo. I have found a special offer price of £85 per person on adventure balloons and will be making a booking shortly :)
  • lisyloo
    Forumite
    I presume you are aware that this is a weekday voucher i.e. you can fly on a weekend.
  • ArsenalFC
    I presume you are aware that this is a weekday voucher i.e. you can fly on a weekend.

Yes I am aware that it's a weekday evening ride. I have already phoned the company regarding the waiting time and were told there aren't really any waiting time at the moment. Although the voucher is only valid for 5 months rather than the usual 12 months, but it should be use by this summer. Thanks again.
  • barneyboy
    barneyboy Posts: 69
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hello i booked a flight for my dad 14 months ago we have tried booking about 10 times only to be called off due to weather conditions,our voucher was for 12 months and it said when 12 months were up we would have to pay extra money but they decided to extend the vouchers untill july this year so were still waiting for perfect flying conditions.
    ps we live in scotland so the chance of perfect weather is pretty slim. hope you have more luck than us
  • lisyloo
    Forumite
    <i>and it said when 12 months were up we would have to pay extra money</i>

The vast majority of balloon companies will extend the vouchers providing you have made attempts to book the flight (which quite clearly you have).

It is simply to avoid people who don't bother using them coming back years later as that would cause them some problems with numbers.
  • ArsenalFC
    like lisyloo said the balloon companies will extend the date of the voucher if weather condition did not permit flying after booking numerous attempts just like they did with you.  I live in london and the flight will take place in the southeast so conditions will be good down here in the summer.  I have never been on a balloon flight and would loved to go on one at some stage.  I am one of those peeps who like to do a parachute jump, microlight flying for the thrill and the sheer excitement & experience of the whole thing, although I have not done any so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure