credit card at 16 ?

Options
kurjam
kurjam Posts: 1,342 Forumite
is it possible for a 16 year old to get a credit card ??
most places seem to be 18 years. thank you

Comments

• KayJ066
    KayJ066 Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt it very much, most companies only offer credit to those aged 18 or over.
    I could be wrong,so there will be someone along in a minute!
  • co123456
    co123456 Posts: 368 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not possible I think....... that said, when I was 16 (in 1989) I lied about my age on the application and managed to get one. I didn't have a cheque book, and wanted to order stuff by mail. Postal orders were a pain in the rear.
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not sure what happens these days , but years ago when 17 I managed to get a credit card , but it had to be guaranteed by my parents. In other words they were liable if I did not pay. (I never actually used it it was simply a fall back, but useful in an emergency.) So it may be possible, but with a guarantor. Not sure though.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • kurjam
    Options
    Not possible I think....... that said, when I was 16 (in 1989) I lied about my age on the application and managed to get one. I didn't have a cheque book, and wanted to order stuff by mail. Postal orders were a pain in the rear.

my friend thought of that but i told her its a bit dodgy these days as i am sure with computers they can check.
    they want it for bying over the internet. thanks
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    Credit isn't enforceable if you're under 18, I thought. So the company wouldn't be able to get their money back if you ran off, so they won't give it to you in the first place.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are not legally allowed to entered into a credit agreement until you are 18. If a lender disregards this and lends to an under 18 year old the debt is automatically unenforceable.

If someone lies about their age then I would still doubt that the lender has got a leg to stand on as the borrower would still be under 18 in reality so the above rule applies and it would be said that they should have made more thorough checks at the time of granting the credit.

Related rambling: Didn't stop me having a Barclaycard when I was 16 (many many years ago ;)). There was no credit limit and it was just a means of me being able to guarantee my cheques. It's most useful purpose, however, was to help to get me served in pubs :rotfl:
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ........though submitting a false application (dob) could be considered as a fraudulent application and leave you open to a whole host of problems.
  • kurjam
    Options
    yes i think i will tell her to wait it only just less than 2 years..... she will have to borrow her mums and pay mum....
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    No bank will give you one until you are offically 18, but the legal age for being able to enter in to a contract is not that simple. In Scotland a girl can get a mortgage at 12 and a boy at I think 15. We have many ancient laws still in place.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    savagej wrote: »
    No bank will give you one until you are offically 18, but the legal age for being able to enter in to a contract is not that simple. In Scotland a girl can get a mortgage at 12 and a boy at I think 15. We have many ancient laws still in place.
    Are they saying that women are better with their money than men - they obviously don't know my wife :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure