🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Proposing To Girlfriend In Paris

Options
Hi all
Just wondering if you could help me out. Am planning to propose to my girlfriend in Paris on Valentines. Have already booked the flights with BA from Birmingham (£69 each). Was planning stay in a hotel near Eiffel tower then take her on a dinner cruise in the evening and propose in front of the Eiffel tower afterwards? All the dinner cruises I can find cost at least 90 Euros each..Anybody know of any decent cheaper ones? Anybody any idea where I can find a decent hotel near the Eiffel tower? Am on a fairly limited budget but love her so much and always dreamed of making it a day we'll both never forget. Any help would really be appreciated...

Comments

• Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    no advice, but

:T
  • Liz19
    Liz19 Posts: 673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband took me to Paris for Valentines 18 years ago and proposed when we were up the Eiffel Tower. It was so lovely and romantic. We stayed at the Hotel Gare De L'Est as we too were on a budget. As it was so long ago I couldn't say what it is like now but I am sure someone will be able to recommend a nice hotel. Hope you both a wonderful time and wish you all the best for the future.
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    try clicky at Hotels.com
    There's one there that's 0.5miles from the tower for about £54.....

any closer and you're looking at the best part of £100....

(quick tip.... if you book @ hotels.com via quidco you get £10 cashback :D)
  • Scoflo
    Scoflo Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Remeber the ring will cost you loads!

I was proposed to on New Years Day at Stirling castle with the fireworks in the background. We had tickets to see Eddie Reader for Hogmany and it cost £15 a head & £20 for taxi return.

But, the ring, wedding in cyprus for October, including my (adult) children - a bomb.

But as the advert says, priceless.
    :hello: Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want:hello:

• Edna_Bucket_2
    Options
    medicman wrote:
    ...All the dinner cruises I can find cost at least 90 Euros each...

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket, but remember that the prices will also go up on that particular day - for obvious reasons!

For example:

http://www.bateauxparisiens.com/english/e_diner/Saint%20Valentin_2006_Ang.pdf

Looks lovely, but not a bargain!
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I was in Paris last year and made a point of getting a hotel near the Eiffel Tower/Arc De Triomphe. The best deal I found at the time was for the 'Kleber Hotel' which is about halfway between the two attractions (about 5mins walk to each way and near a metro stop too). The hotel wasn't too bad but nothing amazing either .... have a look on www.hotelscomparison.com to get the best prices.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • medicman
    medicman Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys!! Have been thinking about it all day and reckon I've just about got enough saved up to book a room at the Hilton Paris for 1 night. price from the Hilton website is about £135 for the night incl. breakfast. Anybody any idea of any website's offering a cheaper price? Also are the Paris dinner cruises any good?? They really do seem overpriced to me...Anybody ever been on one...What's the best way to get from the airport to Central Paris? Thanks in advance for any help...
  • astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Options
    medicman, i always use https://www.laterooms.com to book hotel rooms as they nearly always have the best prices. Good Luck :)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need to stay near the tower. The tube ride in itself is interesting because there's an above ground bit that allows you to see the tower as you approach. Get off at the Trocadero stop because that's the best way to approach it and if you time it well you'll see the light display which lasts for about 5 minutes, I think it's 9, 10 and 11 pm. You do NOT want to be on the tower for this, you want to be in front of it for the best effect...and following up with your proposal then a trip up the tower would be good. After that I'm sure she'd be happy with MacDonalds!
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Travelling from the airport to the centre of Paris is about 50 euros one way by taxi, and there is also a surcharge depending on how much luggage you have, they charge so much per item etc. Takes about 45 minutes depending on the driver. Some of the taxi drivers we encountered grew horns behind the wheel... :-)
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport