🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Question about flights

Options
I'm in the process of booking flights for our French hols in the summer.

It sounds a bit odd to me as I'm used to return flights, but the best deal pricewise is for us is to fly Ryanair from Stansted to Carcassonne one way and return on an easyjet flight from Toulouse to Gatwick (the destination in France is equal distance from both airports pretty much). We would get the train to and from the airports this end, and in France would hire a car with pick up Carcassonne airport and drop off at Toulouse.

This is a saving of about £60 on the return flight with easyjet Gatwick-Toulouse-Gatwick, plus the time of the ryanair flight is much better. Another plus is that we wouldn't need airport parking if we go by train, so another big saving there - it wouldn't be possible to get a train if we went solely with easyjet as the flight is way too early in the morning.

Other than the disadvantage of having to lug suitcases on the train, can anyone spot any reason why doing it this way wouldn't be feasible. My husband is a bit dubious about it, but I'm feeling quite pleased with myself for spotting this moneysaving alternative :cool:

Comments

• velocity_boy
    Options
    i can't see anything major (and i am a trained travel agent- although i dont do it for a living).
    there are some great deals to be had if you look hard enough and by the looks of things purplepatch, you have done exactly that.
    well done to you i say
    If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.

What has four legs and an arm? A happy pit bull
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    just allow plenty time in case of train delays.An xtra hour or 2 at the airport is better than missing check in due to train hold ups/cancelations
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in the process of booking flights for our French hols in the summer.

It sounds a bit odd to me as I'm used to return flights, but the best deal pricewise is for us is to fly Ryanair from Stansted to Carcassonne one way and return on an easyjet flight from Toulouse to Gatwick (the destination in France is equal distance from both airports pretty much). We would get the train to and from the airports this end, and in France would hire a car with pick up Carcassonne airport and drop off at Toulouse.

This is a saving of about £60 on the return flight with easyjet Gatwick-Toulouse-Gatwick, plus the time of the ryanair flight is much better. Another plus is that we wouldn't need airport parking if we go by train, so another big saving there - it wouldn't be possible to get a train if we went solely with easyjet as the flight is way too early in the morning.

Other than the disadvantage of having to lug suitcases on the train, can anyone spot any reason why doing it this way wouldn't be feasible. My husband is a bit dubious about it, but I'm feeling quite pleased with myself for spotting this moneysaving alternative :cool:

No reason why you shouldn't do it that way. I've fown from Liverpool to Europe in the past and returned to Leeds/Bradford airport, using different carriers for both legs. I've done it a couple of times that way.
  • cruyff73
    cruyff73 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Easyjet, Ryanair and all other 'low-cost airlines' price their flights on a one-way basis so there's no problem doing it this way. What you normally find is that it's really cheap to get from the UK but pricey to get back. If you've managed to get this then well done you!!
    All opinions are my own and in no way contain official advice or guidelines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport