EDF having a laugh

Options
cgre
cgre Posts: 12 Forumite
just moved in to a 1 bed maisonette, it has no gas so was expecting the electric to be higher than normal as its the only source of energy (plus has storage heaters etc) but EDF just sent me a letter saying my bill will be £90 a month which they will take by DD. :eek:

Am going to call them to discuss this today but £90 a month!?! I live alone, work all day and am generally careful with switching stuff off not using standby have all energy saving bulbs etc etc

Anyone else getting these outrageous bill calculations?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Not outrageous if you're using storage heaters and an immersion heater/electric shower. You can always reduce it after the winter if you build up a credit balance.

This was posted yesterday - there are many similar on this board:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1329939
  • cgre
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    Not outrageous if you're using storage heaters and an immersion heater/electric shower. You can always reduce it after the winter if you build up a credit balance.

really? seems mad to me, couple of people I've spoken to said its like the bill they have for a 3 bedroom house with 4 people living there.

Would rather ring up with a meter reading every month and pay for what I've used than have credit build up with them tbh.
  • cgre
    Options
    its all on economy 7 as well
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    cgre wrote: »
    really? seems mad to me, couple of people I've spoken to said its like the bill they have for a 3 bedroom house with 4 people living there.

Possible. But with storage heaters, it's quite possible to use £90 a month.
    Would rather ring up with a meter reading every month and pay for what I've used than have credit build up with them tbh.

Ask if you can pay be standing order. That way you can fix the amount. If you calculate your bill every month, you can pay the extra. You may or may not get the DD discount. Won't hurt to ask.

As for Economy 7 - it's essential for storage heaters.
  • cgre
    Options
    thanks Magentasue will have a chat with them about it, never been in a place with storage heaters before but will be avoiding like the plague in future!
  • paceinternet
    Options
    EDF seem to have one of the lowest (maybe the lowest) cost E7 tariffs in their online version through the switching sites.

Have you taken some meter readings at 24 hr intervals to know what you are using?
    Only then can you reasonably say if the ddbt is wrong.

As a rough guide, you should estimate at least a £1 per night per storage heater.
  • gaz_jones
    gaz_jones Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    We moved into a massionette this time last year and it has storage heaters. We've been paying just shy of £80 a month via DD. NEVER again will I use storage heaters. Pile of poo if you ask me!!
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • cgre
    Options
    EDF seem to have one of the lowest (maybe the lowest) cost E7 tariffs in their online version through the switching sites.

Have you taken some meter readings at 24 hr intervals to know what you are using?
    Only then can you reasonably say if the ddbt is wrong.

As a rough guide, you should estimate at least a £1 per night per storage heater.

actually no havent done that yet but I think I will now
  • cgre
    Options
    well I got a bill through finally, was £74 but was estimated so I took readings and phoned them in, my bill for one months electric is now £168, looking at the rates and readings its all down to the bl**dy storage heaters I cant believe they are costing so much, have tweaked them down a bit now but its by no means warm in the place anyway (15 degs in the bedroom)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure