Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

starting to get condensation

due to the cold outside i am getting condensation on the windows and all over the front door.

i know the solutions are either keep the house heated but this means heating on 24 / 7 on low, would this cost a lot???

ventilating , well it seems a bit of a cache 22 because the more ventilation there is the more cold you are letting in and the more heating you need

dehumidifier - considering this but where would i locate it? its not just one room that gets condensation, its both bedrooms and the front door and window. does dehumidifier location matter?

cavity wall insulation - is an option, but not sure where to go for a quote and what sort of offers there are available. the flat definitely seems to lose heat quickly and its a north outside facing wall throughout the lounge bedrooms.

any tips welcome. the place is a ground floor maisonette with double glazing and trickle vents (which i leave open). heating system is combi boiler which is either on / off / timed, with TRVs on lounge and bedroom rads. currently no bathroom rad as i'm waiting to get my towel rad fitted, bathroom is warmest room as has no window and on inside wall.

Replies

• >dehumidifier - considering this but where would i locate it<

I put mine in the corner of the stair-landing, it seem to collect more water there than being in a room
  • bajangalbajangal Forumite
    538 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you can afford it, then buy a dehumidifier. They vary in price so you can buy according to your budget. I bought this one from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4151302/Trail/searchtext%3EDEHUMIDIFIER.htm a couple of months ago and it is brilliant. They save the hassle of opening windows, airing, venting, etc. The one I have you can set the humidity level and it switches itself on and off when the humidity rises.
    This is a cheaper model and getting good reviews.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150664/Trail/searchtext%3EDEHUMIDIFIER.htm
    Most of them will suit a 2-3 bed house, and as you live in a flat, it will work quicker.
  • I have to keep my heating on low even in rooms that aren't used often because of the age of my house - the draughts we have get rid of any condensation immediately! :o
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • please could i just ask about dehumidifiers?
    ive bought 1 as our 3bed semi has lots of condentsation , mainly in 1 of the bedrooms where the radiator is not under the window and in the dining room (where we put clothes maid to dry bits of washing) wheres the best place to put dehumidifier and whens best tiem to run it? had it a couple of days , it collects lots water but condensation in bedroom still the same really, ive been putting it on through the day , but seems more condendsation forms at night so would this be the best time?
    thank you
  • ladydriva wrote: »
    please could i just ask about dehumidifiers?
    ive bought 1 as our 3bed semi has lots of condentsation , mainly in 1 of the bedrooms where the radiator is not under the window and in the dining room (where we put clothes maid to dry bits of washing) wheres the best place to put dehumidifier and whens best tiem to run it? had it a couple of days , it collects lots water but condensation in bedroom still the same really, ive been putting it on through the day , but seems more condendsation forms at night so would this be the best time?
    thank you

Id ask in a bigger font and then someone may notice your question. ;)
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    it collects lots water but condensation in bedroom still the same really

If there's two of you breathing in and out during the night with no windows or door open in the bedroom you're breathing out a significant volume of damp air during the course of the night. Try a bit more ventilation.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Thinking about it, condensation must be partly caused by water evaporating from the toilet bowl.

I use a piece of clingfilm over the bowl now, so far without hilarious consequences.
  • The main reason you have condensation is the fact that the inside pane of glass is too cold or there is not enough ventialtion.
    At night you will breath out as much as 400ml of water between a couple of people and this has to go somewhere.
    Two things you could do would solve your problem.
    1) If your trickle vents are open then check they are clear. They are usually stuffed full of cobwebs and spiders blocking the air flow.
    2) You could change out your double glazed units (DGU). Not your whole window but just the glass parts. Get yourself something with "Pilkington K" or "E" (sometimes known as low emissivity glass) and Argon gas filled. This will ensure that the inside pane will be warmer than the outside so stopping condensation forming. approx £50 sqm
    Option 2 is a permanent solution and in the long run could be cheaper than running a dehumidifer for years. You could also replace the DGU's 1 at a time as money allows. These new windows will also save you money on heating in the long run.
  • thanx for replies, would love to replace the windows but only moved in this house a year ago and i hate it so as soon as house prices sort themselves out a bit more were looking to move to another new build...like i had previosly with no condensation!!!

again thanx for ur replies,, guess its just using the dehumidifier and hoping summer comes soon!

x
  • I got one of these and have to say it's great.
    http://www.dehumidifiers-online.co.uk/Amber-Dry-Brochure.pdf
    It's a bit expensive but claims to be the best, it certainly pulls a lot of moisture out of the air and there's no filters to worry about replacing. I also had cavity wall insulation thinking it would drastically help but in honesty it made little difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals