🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

British Gas Cut Prepayment Charges And May Reduce All Bills Next Spring.

Options
billsavings
billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
"British Gas will reduce the premium that customers on prepayment meters are charged for their power and gas compared to other payment methods from Dec. 18 and may cut all bills next spring, the subsidiary of Centrica said on Tuesday.

Householders who pay for their electricity and gas using prepayment meters are charged more by energy suppliers because of the higher costs associated with running them.
But Centrica said on Tuesday that thanks to cost savings in running pay-as-you-go meters, the average customer getting both power and gas from British Gas will now pay about 22 pounds ($33.26) less per year.

The company also pointed to possible across-the-board price cuts early next year.
"While wholesale gas prices are still high, they are falling," Phil Bentley, managing director of British Gas, said.
"If that continues, we are hopeful we'll be able to reduce prices for all our customers next Spring."

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSLP3975020081125

Comments

• bristolleedsfan
    Options
    [quote=billsavings;16193239
    http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndustryMaterialsUtilitiesNews/idUSLP3975020081125[/quote]

"and utilities have warned that moves to cut profits from prepay meters could mean other bills rising." :(
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    "and utilities have warned that moves to cut profits from prepay meters could mean other bills rising." :(

If they do that I genuinely think the Govt should re-nationalise them. Not a totally ridiculous idea, Darling and El Gordo are borrowing up to a trillion pounds so why not borrow a bit more? ;)
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    If they do that I genuinely think the Govt should re-nationalise them. Not a totally ridiculous idea, Darling and El Gordo are borrowing up to a trillion pounds so why not borrow a bit more? ;)

It was obvious that any reductions and/or price increase freezes to pre paid meter customers would be paid for by other customers. ;)
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was obvious that any reductions and/or price increase freezes to pre paid meter customers would be paid for by other customers. ;)

Not correct. The reason the Customers with PP meters are having there prices decreased is due to the fact the PP section of British Gas have become more cost efficient due to things like the systems performing without so many problems amongst other things. Many things have been put in place over the last year which are now coming to fruition. This means problems can be turned around much faster therefore costing less money.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Joyful wrote: »
    Not correct. The reason the Customers with PP meters are having there prices decreased is due to the fact the PP section of British Gas have become more cost efficient due to things like the systems performing without so many problems amongst other things. Many things have been put in place over the last year which are now coming to fruition. This means problems can be turned around much faster therefore costing less money.

There was me believing that the Energy Companies had been TOLD by the Government and Ofgem to reduce the rates for those on Prepayment Meters.;)
    https://www.homeadvisoryservice.co.uk/miliband-and-ofgem-warn-firms-about-pre-payment-meters.html
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure that will come into it too!
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing