edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
16 replies 1.5K views
rjh090384rjh090384 Forumite
2.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi
I moving house and the pepps who lived in house before us are taking their cooker with them which is a big double gas range. i am now buggered casue these cost about £1000. does nayone know where i could get one any cheaper, they also taking the hood. i am thinking it might be chepaer just to get a new kitchen. what does everyone else think.

i also need everything else
washing machine, dryer etc

and all furniture. i am moving from a 1 bedroo mapartment to a 3 bed house with dining room and conservatory so i need a lot fo stuff. anyone know anywhere with cheap furniture. wil lneed it for end february
any advice appreciated

thanks
love you lots like jelly tots :o

Replies

• SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest you look at Ikea's website, or get hold of a catalogue (though not everything is in the catalogue) then once you've moved in hire a van and pop over to Glasgow for a day. It can be infuriating if they haven't got what you want in as you can't reserve items, but Ikea is hard to beat for getting loads of things in one place.

I'd suggest popping along to an auction house too to have a look at the variety and the price things go for, you might get some bargains that way.

Regards the cooker and hood, have you tried to negotiate with the vendors, ie make an offer on the items? Getting a new kitchen might sound cheap especially if you price up cabinets etc, but the price of labour is the most expensive bit, so it's important to look into that before you commit yourself. Could you fill the gap with an extra cupboard then replace the whole worktop?

• RikkiRikki Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would sort your cooker and washing machine first. These are essentials.
    You can use the furniture from your flat to start with and add to it as and when.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • rjh090384rjh090384 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    gd advice snow unfortunately i tried with the vendors but as they are moving they cant afford to buy a new cooker either the gap is just too vast to attempt the wrok top hoo ha and the extra cupboards etc..i got my old kitchen table at an auction for 30 which was excelletn cause it was £150 new in index wil definately head to beersbridge auctionsin new year they are excellent. can anyone advise any other auction houses?
  • I think there's an auction on the road between Bangor and Newtownards. You could also join the Belfast Freecycle.

You should be able to pick up second hand furniture very reasonably because it is very difficult to get rid of it. Most people just want to get it out of the way and will often give it free rather than go to the trouble of advertising and having people calling at their houses.

Everybody wants to buy new on interest free credit so it is not as easy to sell second hand furniture as it used to be.

You could also look in the free ads papers. I think they have a "freebies" section. http://www.buyandsell.ie/ Also Ads For Free which is owned by Belfast Telegraph, but I don't think they are online.

Good luck with your move. :xmassign:
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to get priorities in order. Your priority is to get something you can cook on ... personally I would buy the cheapest cooker I could find and shove it in the gap and make do with it for a while until I could afford the proper size one. I am very surprised that they are taking the cooker hood - normally that is considered to be part of the kitchen (however I suppose they have covered themselves by telling you - although they are still responsible for ensuring that the kitchen is in no way damaged during the removal of these items).

I have no idea of the size of your kitchen but to replace it is likely to cost significantly more than £1000 (x5 or x10). One other tip is have a look at kitchen suppliers up around the Ballymena and Coleraine area - I have often found them to be significantly cheaper than in the Bangor/Belfast area.

Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not try the Belfast branch of Frecycle??
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thks I Will Google Them Does Anyone Else Know Where To Contact Them In Case I Cant Find Them
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Found Them!! Thanks Guys
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay is good for furniture as people don;t want ot collect it so it goes cheap - save searches as favourite searches so you don;t miss anything.

Ref Freecycle - you are supposed to offer stuff before you ask for/take stuff. Be aware it is a two-way street otherwise it doesn't work.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey there

Theres a shop in Portadown called Multifix who refurbish kitchen appliances and have new ones with dents or scrapes on the fronts who sell cheaply, I got a new washing machine, tumble drier, cooker and under counter fridge and freezer for £400 with a hoover thrown in, they have dents in the sides and stuff but sure I didnt mind they still had a warranty as they where new! I've never had any problems with them either

Otherwise try wilsons auctions or the buy and sell paper (yellow one)

HTH
    Cath
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda