Home insurance claim problem

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
20 replies 2.6K views
BassetBasset Forumite
7 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I've spilt some paint on my kitchen floor and the insurance company says they will pay to have the damaged tiles relayed plus 50% of the price of the cost of the remaining undamaged tiles (not the cost to have them relayed). Is this correct? or should they pay 50% towards having them relayed?

Any advise would be most appeciated

Sophie

Replies

• Oscar_The_GrouchOscar_The_Grouch Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there

They should pay 100% of the cost of the damaged area (less your excess) and 50% of ALL the remaining costs, not just the tiles.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • Hi Oscar,

Thanks for the information, I'd hoped you would say that as it would have cost me an awful lot of money. Now it will cost of the remaining work is about £2000, so that will cost me about £1000 and with the run up to Xmas I haven't got that sort of money. Is there a period in which you have to get the work done by?

Thanks again for you help
    Sophie:A
  • Oscar_The_GrouchOscar_The_Grouch Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Basset

The insurer should not set a time limit on you, but it may be worth letting them know when you hope to get the work done.

I'd give them a call, agree the costs and tell them that you would like to delay the repairs until the new year. Provided the floor is safe (ie, no one is going to trip over a big hole) they should agree to it without any problems.

Alternatively, tell them you are thinking of changing the floor and ask them for a cash settlement. They will usually get about a 5 - 15% discount off flooring replacement so if you are willing to negotiate with them over the amount they pay you (don't go lower than 85% of their total contribution), you could get the money now, shove it in a savings account and wait for the sales!!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • thats great advice

so if the original contribution (damaged area (less your excess) and 50% of ALL the remaining costs) was £2000, they might give me £1700 or more cash settlement? That would suit better

Sophie x icon6.gif
  • InscoInsco Forumite
    183 Posts
    Basset wrote: »
    I've spilt some paint on my kitchen floor and the insurance company says they will pay to have the damaged tiles relayed plus 50% of the price of the cost of the remaining undamaged tiles (not the cost to have them relayed). Is this correct? or should they pay 50% towards having them relayed?

Any advise would be most appeciated

Sophie

Sophie there is an argument that the whole floor is one complement , one item and that your Insurers should pay for the whole floor to be reinstated to its pre-incident condition. If that means replacing all the the tiles then so be it ; or if it means professioanlly cleaning the paint from the tiles.

Insurers would not just "patch in" a piece of carpet which is what you appear to be offered just because you have tiles!? ( its a cost thing for the Insurer)

You would need to check your policy wording however for the exact wording of any "matching items" exclusions and definition of " matching items" if any

Why can't the paint be removed from the tiles?
  • minimike2minimike2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to say if its tiles then how come the paint wont just wash off?
  • I can't understand why they won't pay for the whole floor as we no longer can get the same tiles. But there is a clause in the policy that states
    "We will not pay for :"
    "Replacing or changing undamaged parts of your buildings which belong to a set or suite or which have a common design or use, when the damage is restricted to a specific part or clearlydefined area."

I assume i have no good grounds for complaint?
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct assumption.

Why can't you wash the tiles clean. Or is it a rude question we all are asking?
  • we had an insurance claim for carpets damaged when our radiators leaked, when we went to get the stuff from Carpet Right they said that if we paid cash for the fitting it was £5per sqm for carpet and £10 per sqm for laminate, mathmatically this amounted to a lot more than the excess we were required to pay BUT if we wanted to use the insurance voucher the costs leaped to £7.50 and £15 per sqm
    very smuggly I contacted Legal and General assuming they would be horrified only to have them confirm that using insurance vouchers incurrs extra costs!
    I contacts the FSA too and they and the insurance ombudsmen argued about whose problem it was
    the end of the story was I bought loads of laminate and got a mate to fit it!

I also quizzed a carpet fitter I know who confirmed that THEY don't get any extra
  • :o sorry its no big secret, the paint wont come off

sorry i dont understand what is this insurance voucher all about:confused:

sophie
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up