Selling an old ring

I have a ring that was given to me years ago by a (now) ex. It is white gold with a diamond (about 0.25ct). Where is the best place to sell this? I know it's a bit mercenary but, well, times are hard!

Comments

• LADY_A_5
    LADY_A_5 Posts: 249 Forumite
    a jewellers?
    try looking for something simular online to see the value

and theres always ebay :)
    :cool:
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi,

well to could ebay it....
    or to get the best price take it to a jelwers one that buys second hand.
    most high streets have them.
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • shely33
    shely33 Posts: 139 Forumite
    my jewelly valued a ring at£625 then i while later when i asked if they wanted to but it they offered £16. i said no
  • shely33 wrote: »
    my jewelly valued a ring at£625 then i while later when i asked if they wanted to but it they offered £16. i said no

I was thinking if you try to sell at a jewellers it might be a good idea to go to another jewellers (or two) to get it valued first, so you know you aren't being ripped off when you do sell.
  • Some of the birds down my way sell their old rings on a saturday night but I think that's a different kind of thing.....
  • babyg100
    babyg100 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Hi, I sold a similar ring last year (from an ex too) I got £225 from a local jeweler who sells 2nd hand stuff. Where do you live?
    I tried a pawn broker and was only offered 80, I don't think you'd get much on ebay either but you could look at similar rings on there.
    babyg
    x
    Life would be fabulous if I wasn't in debt!
  • shely33
    shely33 Posts: 139 Forumite
    i tried a pawn broker on a platinum and diamond ring that was worth £5000, they offered me £200,, i eventually sold it on ebay for £1000...it was my first thing i sold on ebay so i expect i would have sold it for more if i had some feedback .
  • I live near Reading, none of my local jewellers buy second hand jewellery so when I go into "town" to do my xmas shopping I will take it with me! I have looked on ebay and to be honest, jewellery doesn't seem to sell that well. If I get no joy at the jewellers than I will probably put it on there.

Many thanks
  • If the diamond is less than .5 carat it will be a chip rather than specifically cut, ranged and polished. They are set in complicated mounts to make the diamond chip look its best. The ring will have only scrap value (£15-20) or you would probabky be better trying Ebay for £30-50. The stone will be worth next to nothing.
  • If the diamond is less than .5 carat it will be a chip rather than specifically cut, ranged and polished. They are set in complicated mounts to make the diamond chip look its best. The ring will have only scrap value (£15-20) or you would probably be better trying Ebay for £30-50. The stone will be worth next to nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure