Looking for SMA Gold

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
10 replies 8.9K views
PhilWales_2PhilWales_2 Forumite
59 Posts
Hi,

My little boy (3 weeks old) is currently feeding on SMA Gold, quite a lot I might add !!

Does anyone know of a good cheap place to buy it? Or any offers/promotions I can use etc to get it cheap?

I heard boots in Cardiff were doing 3 for 2 but doesn't seem to be down in my local one.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil
They call me Mr Pig!

Replies

• SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    21.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Phil

you'll probably find that the 3for2 in Boots was actually for their follow on milk Progress. shops are not allowed to promote infant formula, if you have a loyalty card for eg Tescos you'll find you don't get points when you buy baby milk.

I only breastfed my first for a few days, i didn't get on with it for various reasons, anyway the cheapest place to buy baby milk for him was at a baby clinic. Your health visitor should be able to advise.

When i had my son 4 years ago, the tins of SMA worked out £1 cheaper than anywhere elso.
    When i had daughter last year SMA was only a few pence cheaper, but other makes noticeably milupa was several pounds cheaper.

best wishes :)
  • Thanks Spendless :)

What a bummer eh !
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found wilkinson's was the cheapest for SMA.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Thanks Ssaver - I will check it out :)
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • Some ones selling it on ebay for 2x900g tins for £8.99 By the time you add the postage of £4 its not worth it - Adsa were the cheapest for me
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watch out for people who sell it privately - make sure it is sealed and that it is well within current usage date!

Shops are not allowed to discount artificial milks for babies under 6 months and no coupons are allowed either. I think that the baby clinics are the cheapest, but some baby clinics will not keep it outside the cupboard and you will need to ask the nurse or health visitor for it.

I am not sure whether this is right but I think that people on benefits may be able to get some formula milk for free - anyone here knows anything about this?

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Families in receipt of qualifying benefits (including Income Support) or Child Tax Credit and have a family income of less than £13,480 can get milk tokens. Babies under 1 get vouchers sent for 4x900g infant formula every 4 weeks ( which can also be used to get 4x7 pints of milk for breastfeeding mothers). Children aged 1 to 5 get vouchers for 4x7 pints of milk sent every 4 weeks. Liquid milk tokens can be exchanged at supermarkets, but infant formula tokens can only be exchanged at certain places, usually health clinics.

Tokens are issued by the Token Distribution Unit - 0845 850 1032. I'm not sure what info they can give over the phone so its probably best to call the Inland Revenue helpline on 0845 300 3900 who should be able to confirm if you qualify.

HTH
  • shays_mumshays_mum Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I always get my milk from the local baby clinic. To date (3 yrs & 2 kids later!!) they have never asked me if i am on any benefits (i'm not) to qualify for cheap/free milk. I get Actimel first, the most expensive there for £4 something in the shop its £6+,SMA is even cheaper.
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
  • bylromarhabylromarha Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Boots are currently offering extra advantage card points and/or discounts on all their follow on milks (6 months +). I don't know how common these discounts are as I breastfeed, but may be worth stocking up if the dates on the tin meet your baby's age.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • jockettukjockettuk Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    have you not got a clinic at your local gps surgery if not ask your midwife/health visitor were the nearest one is.. ours do milk on tues and thurs and its cheaper by quite a bit than the shops...
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals