Extra Income - Cabaret

Hi,
I'm not sure what to do. I saw an advert on Glasgow Gumtree for cabaret singers, I used to do a lot of singing when I was younger but gave it up when life got too busy! I emailed the company and they have said that they would provide everything, equipment, backing tracks and publicity, and that I could earn about £140 over a weekend. Obviously it sounds appealing, but it also says they tie you in to a contract for 2 years. I'm hoping to be out of this mess in 2 years, and have a family, so I'm not sure about this part.
Has anyone any experience of this kind of thing. If it's a possibility, I'd be able to put about £500 a month in to clearing my debts and have a better life.

Also jsut been told by my partner that he'd not be happy for me to do it, but I would appreciate any advice if you think it sounds legit.
Thanks
Vicki

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I suspect the 2 year contract would be more that "if you becaome rich & famous they will want a slice" more than "you have to sing for 2 long years"

Is there any problem with asking for a copy of the contract before you meet them?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • I thought that might be the sort of thing, along with not working for anyone else or doing private bookings!

Now just need to persuade my partner it's a good opportunity!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If your OH is anything like mine, hew might jsut have the fear you are about to run off to the circus and never come back.

If your OH dont like it, its my opinion its something you should try once, and you never know he might come around to the idea. You might not like it anyway.

Just see what the contract says, if you dont like it back out.

Shame they are not advertising down here, Id love to do it too, but I sense OH would be happier if a freind was doing it with me :D
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Sounds great if it's legitimate. Don't get me wrong, I know absolutely NOTHING about this type of work, but I have watched The Real Hustle etc - so if they should ask for any money from you up front then have your running shoes at the ready!

I suppose it wouldn't be any good to just approach venues yourself to get singing work, would it? I mean, on the upside you would get all the money and wouldn't be tied in to that contract - but on the downside, I suppose you'd have to provide your own equipment... or do pubs and clubs usually have their own equipment?

Just a couple of little thoughts, as I say, I don't know how it all works. Good luck with it, anyway.
  • This place says they provide all the equipment, I'm going to call them tonight and see, I'm suspicious they may ask for money up front in which case it is a scam and I'm off! Fingers crossed it's genuine though and I can start making money from another hobby, and one I always wanted to use!
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    good luck with that and all the best
  • Torby
    Torby Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    buy a pa system...£600
    buy a mic............£80
    Buy a minidisc player £50 second hand
    Get some backing tracks £30
    Make up a press kit and contact some agents
    get someone to drive you/roadie
    start working at the weekends....even solo you could get minimum £100
    work 2 Nights you could make £200
    Start a business....pay your taxes....don't forget your personal allowance and investment in equipment...you'll not pay out that much....

you decide when you want to work...if you get your own bookings...you have no agents fees....

but word of warning.....there's definitely a drop off in work for cabaret/clubs/bars/lounges ...but its easier for a venue to pay for a solo than a trio....why not stick an advert in Gumtree for yourself....there's nearly always someone (a guitar player usually) who has all the gear but isn't a great singer...and is on the lookout....no investment in gear required....he pays a reasonable wage....plus...and here's the BIG PLUS....you're not on your own in these venues...its a bit sould destroying working on your own....always good to have someone else....go as a duo!
    I'm now a retired teacher... hooray ...:j

Those who can do, those who can't, come to me for lessons:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family