Help Please!

Hello everyone im after some advice -

It looks as though a friend of mine is going to be 'away' for a while, the problem is he has a car on finance and the address that is registered with the finance company is his mums house. Obviously he wont be able to keep up repayments on the car whilst he is 'away' so what are the options / what can his mum do to ensure that her credit rating is not affected by this?

Any advice will be muchly appreciated
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Comments

• Tayus
    Tayus Posts: 313 Forumite
    ....ttt....
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not sure what his mum can do, but surely the sensible thing is for him to contact the finance company and ask for advice, rather than leaving the problem in his mum's lap?

How long is left on the deal, and how long was it for? Isn't there some system where if you're half way through paying for it you can just say "thanks, take it back I don't want it any more?"
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    He needs to spek to the finance company, he may be able to do a voluntary termination but there may still be some finance outstanding on it if the car is worth less.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If he defaults on the loan or finance on the car it won't affect his mothers credit rating so long as her name is not on the agreement. Just because you live at the same address does NOT mean your credit rating is linked - you need to have joint financial products for that to happen.
    Black listing addresses etc is an urban myth - it's a person who gets a bad credit rating - NOT the address.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you friend is going to be 'away' for some time, depending 'where'

is it prison? if so tell him to speak to his probation officer who can offer and organise help and advice.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Tayus
    Tayus Posts: 313 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I have another question although its not strictly moneysaving related - Someone visited my friend today and although the exact duration of the time he will be away for has not been confirmed yet is it correct that he will only serve half (depending on good behaviour) or is it depending on the type of crime that he has committed?
  • I think that it is something like sentences under 6 months you can get a 1/3rd off and over 6 months it's a 1/2. That doesn't count for murder so there must be some crimes to which it doesn't apply. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sometimes the judge will state a minimum term that he must serve - that can depend on the crime, if he's a serial offender, his attitude in court and so on.
    I don't think there is a real "rule of thumb" but I could be wrong... I'll try to speak to my neighbour later when he's back from his night shift as he's a copper ;)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Why not just say he's going to prison in the first place?
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Tayus wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I have another question although its not strictly moneysaving related - Someone visited my friend today and although the exact duration of the time he will be away for has not been confirmed yet is it correct that he will only serve half (depending on good behaviour) or is it depending on the type of crime that he has committed?
    What is he going in for and how long has he been told to expect?
    There are many factors, alot of sentences under a certain amount of time will automatically be halved, then he could get out on a tag for good behaviour even earlier but that all depends on a number of circumastances and is not guarunteed.
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport