ICESAVE ISA - When I get my money back...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
28 replies 3.7K views
Incredible-plodIncredible-plod Forumite
29 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
When I eventually get my £3200 back from Icesave can I invest it in another ISA even though I already have one?

i.e I had First direct ISA and Icesave ISA and invested £3000 in each, £6000 total.

Now Icesave is no more can I put my Icesave money back into another ISA with another company despite having used £6000 of my £7200 yearly allowance opening the other two?

Replies

• StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I eventually get my £3200 back from Icesave can I invest it in another ISA even though I already have one??

I believe so, the email we are supposed to receive next week will hopefully explain exactly how this will work.
    i.e I had First direct ISA and Icesave ISA and invested £3000 in each, £6000 total.

Presumably the FD ISA is a stocks & shares one?
    Stompa
  • BaldurBaldur Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Not quite clear what you are saying here, perhaps you could clarify.

Were your First Direct & Icesave Cash ISAs opened in different tax years?

You don't have a £7,200 annual Cash ISA allowance - the allowance is a maximum of £3,600 into ONE Cash ISA per tax year.

£7,200 is the maximum combined Cash ISA/Stocks & Shares ISA allowance.
  • Hi there - I have a similar question relating to an ISA I set up last year with Icesave. When the money comes back over the next few weeks can I put that (transfer) into a Natwest ISA even though I also have an HSBC e-ISA for this year?

I assume that if it keeps its tax free status then there should be no problem?
  • BaldurBaldur Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    reidtom wrote: »
    Hi there - I have a similar question relating to an ISA I set up last year with Icesave. When the money comes back over the next few weeks can I put that (transfer) into a Natwest ISA even though I also have an HSBC e-ISA for this year? I assume that if it keeps its tax free status then there should be no problem?
    There should be no problem - hopefully the forthcoming e-mail from the FSCS will give clear information about the continuing tax-free status of former Icesave ISAs and the transfer process.
  • Thanks for that.
  • I'm starting to panic, no to rephrase been pulling my hair out over the Icesave ISA refund/compensation for weeks. I am leaving the country on a trip of a lifetime (while I can) in 2 weeks. The Cheque? is supposed to arrive in our linked bank but in what form, will it still be in a tax free wrapper? How do I sort things after 2 weeks when I'm not in the UK? I cannot pre open another Isa as I've used all my tax free allowance this year. I cannot put £1 in.:mad:
    I have asked a few ISA providers, they say the initial application becomes void if you don't put money in 30 days. If the whole fiasco is not sorted out very very soon I might be up !!!!!! creek and loose out 5 months of interest, as thats how long I will be away. The whole Iceland dealings (because I'm in KE too) has took all the pleasure out of going away and what should of been a positive change of life for me. It has filled me with worry of the financial loss of money I needed to survive during my trip.:mad:
    Someone said put someone on a power of attorney but can they sort my ISA:confused:
  • BruceyBonusBruceyBonus Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    When one ISA provider transfers money to another, they send a certificate with the cheque to confirm the money is an ISA from a specific year/s.

I would have thought that the FSCS/HMRC will be sending something similar to this to allow people to reinvest their money.
  • bryanbbryanb Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Transalper wrote: »
    I'm starting to panic, no to rephrase been pulling my hair out over the Icesave ISA refund/compensation for weeks. I am leaving the country on a trip of a lifetime (while I can) in 2 weeks. The Cheque? is supposed to arrive in our linked bank but in what form, will it still be in a tax free wrapper? How do I sort things after 2 weeks when I'm not in the UK? I cannot pre open another Isa as I've used all my tax free allowance this year. I cannot put £1 in.:mad:
    I have asked a few ISA providers, they say the initial application becomes void if you don't put money in 30 days. If the whole fiasco is not sorted out very very soon I might be up !!!!!! creek and loose out 5 months of interest, as thats how long I will be away. The whole Iceland dealings (because I'm in KE too) has took all the pleasure out of going away and what should of been a positive change of life for me. It has filled me with worry of the financial loss of money I needed to survive during my trip.:mad:
    Someone said put someone on a power of attorney but can they sort my ISA:confused:

The internet is worldwide.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • ScarletBeaScarletBea Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing, but from everything I've read, we will be allowed to put our Icesave ISA money into another ISA account without loss of the tax-free situation.

Just to be on the safe side, I've just gone to my bank (Natwest) and opened a cash ISA with zero balance, and the customer service lady said that once I receive the instructions from the FSCS, then I'll go back and we'll see how to transfer the money properly there - since I'm not sure if the totality of our icesave money will be transferred in bulk to our nominated account.
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • The internet is worldwide.

Sorry, I should have mentioned where I'm going.
    I'm off to places that don't all have telephones let alone internet. I'm going backpacking to S E Asia. Some of the towns may now have internet cafes/shops or there may be wifi. But it's well known about the security problem with keyloggers and wifi bandits and carrying a laptop or mac would just be more potential thief fodder.

I guess I will have to wait until the next episode of info comes via FSCS on Monday but if they don't include full details of the ISA transfer then I could be stuffed.:eek:

The reason I'm getting impatient is, as well as the ISA, I have tried to tranfer most of my savings out of K. Edge, once on 17th, the result;- not even logged. 2nd time on 24th, result;- still waiting for my money now even after many phone calls and promises tby them to give it "special attention":mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals