job for students/declined for sainsburys job

hi,

I applied online last night to sainsburys and this afternoon they have come back saying that "my skills are not a good match for the job role I have applied for" I've no idea how they have come to this conclusion as I only gave them basic info (all they asked for) and filled a questionaire giving scenerios. I have tried to reply to the email asking for feedback but its come back and I realised its a noreply addy ...

I'm pretty gutted to be honest as I truly hate my current job and there doesnt seem to be many jobs around at the moment. I only want part-time (16 hours) as I'm at university. Where I am currently working puts an unbelievable amount of pressure on me (to work more hours, do more, wont allow toilet breaks, often dont give meal breaks etc) and I already have a history of depression.

Any ideas?

Jen

Replies

• bestpudbestpud Forumite
    11K Posts
    top_drawer wrote: »
    hi,

I applied online last night to sainsburys and this afternoon they have come back saying that "my skills are not a good match for the job role I have applied for" I've no idea how they have come to this conclusion as I only gave them basic info (all they asked for) and filled a questionaire giving scenerios. I have tried to reply to the email asking for feedback but its come back and I realised its a noreply addy ...

I'm pretty gutted to be honest as I truly hate my current job and there doesnt seem to be many jobs around at the moment. I only want part-time (16 hours) as I'm at university. Where I am currently working puts an unbelievable amount of pressure on me (to work more hours, do more, wont allow toilet breaks, often dont give meal breaks etc) and I already have a history of depression.

Any ideas?

Jen

I don't know about Sainsburys but the list you give closely resembles what Tesco employees round here say about the job!

Except for the meal breaks that is, but then a dot.com driver apparently worked 11.5 hours one day last week without any kind of a break! Not because he was told to but because he didn't want to leave any customers out. (Silly man was soon put straight by his colleagues!!!)

Unfortunately it seems all to common and it will likely get worse if people start fearing for their job.
  • top_drawer_2top_drawer_2 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    geez!! its the general ethic of the place too which gets me too ... people who slack are never dealt with leaving others to pick up after them, rubbish managers, being nasty and gossiping about others (its the only way you can do something about someones behavior in that place), favoristism (I have never known a place employ so many managers children etc), high turnover/sickness levels which they then ASSUME you will do more hours than you are contracted for. The list goes on and on ...

Jen
  • I have worked in a number of call centres and can give you the extremes of 2 call centres. The first one - we were only allowed to have 35 mins break every day during a NINE hour shift. Even going to the loo or getting some water, we had to use that time. We worked on the ground floor. On a number of occassions the only toilets and water fountains which were working were on the 2nd floor. We got told off for exceeding our breaks. How is one supposed to go up 2 flights of stairs, go to the toilet, get a drink and walk down 2 flights of stairs in 2 mins?

The other call centre, we had to be logged on the phones for at least 85% of the day - so could be off the phones for 9 mins every hour. On an eight hour shift, with 30 mins break, we still had up to 42 mins to go to the loo etc.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol so im not the only one who has a rubbish job then...

any suggestions on how to go about changing it though? as this week I have been rota'd for 4 shifts when I am only contracted for 3 and I really need to reduce my hours as I am not managing my course plus this job.

Jen
  • omen666omen666 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Maccy D's it is then
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol no they wouldnt have me back again.....

seriously though has anyone else completed the application and has any ideas.

Jen
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the jod description or what job was it for, i dont understand why they turned you down
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was for a Customer Service Asst, there wasnt really a job description just a blurb on how good they are and do I want to join their team ...

I'm guessing it was down to the questionaire as I didnt give them any more information about myself.

Jen
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    top_drawer wrote: »
    It was for a Customer Service Asst, there wasnt really a job description just a blurb on how good they are and do I want to join their team ...

I'm guessing it was down to the questionaire as I didnt give them any more information about myself.

Jen

Could you have added any extra information,
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, it was very specific ... I had to read a scenerio and then answer by selecting the best and worst actions to take ...

Jen
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News