Water Meter Problems

i've posted a note on the Water board Chat page on "help with Bills"

My mother is 84 yrs old and I am in dispute with Yorkshire Water over her meter. she has been happily paying bills of £70 a quarter for a one person one bedroomed flat. When I found out in September I complained to YW. they sent someone out to check for leaks and after me writing to ask what was happening two months down the line they say no leaks pay outstanding bills which now amount to £200,I've gone back to try and ask if they would check mum isn't paying for upstairs family flat (two flat block) and they have just dismissed that idea. Mum is worried to death that she is going to be cut off or worse still sent to prison for none payment. does anyone out there know if Help the aged or Age concern or any body could help in this situation. Even YW own table for one bedroom meter use is £112.00 a year . Mum paid £300 last year, £100 more than me in a 4 bedroomed 2 bathroomed house with 3 adults. and YW say there is nothing wrong with the meter.

Replies

• margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

I think this is much too much for one person's water use.

Is it actually metered, or tied to the council tax band (the old system)?

I pay £11.92 a month for water use (metered) for 2 of us in this 2-bed bungalow (Anglian Water) and we use showers rather than baths, washing-machine on perhaps twice a week. I also pay £8 a month for sewerage.

See your local CAB and ask their advice.

Best wishes

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Thanks Margaret thats a good idea. YW don't seem interested and I'm trying to prove the point for them.
  • brm_2brm_2 Forumite
    119 Posts
    Nellie wrote:
    i've posted a note on the Water board Chat page on "help with Bills"

My mother is 84 yrs old and I am in dispute with Yorkshire Water over her meter. she has been happily paying bills of £70 a quarter for a one person one bedroomed flat. When I found out in September I complained to YW. they sent someone out to check for leaks and after me writing to ask what was happening two months down the line they say no leaks pay outstanding bills which now amount to £200,I've gone back to try and ask if they would check mum isn't paying for upstairs family flat (two flat block) and they have just dismissed that idea. Mum is worried to death that she is going to be cut off or worse still sent to prison for none payment. does anyone out there know if Help the aged or Age concern or any body could help in this situation. Even YW own table for one bedroom meter use is £112.00 a year . Mum paid £300 last year, £100 more than me in a 4 bedroomed 2 bathroomed house with 3 adults. and YW say there is nothing wrong with the meter.

The water/sewerage charges your Mother has been asked to pay are far,far too high for a single person in her position unless she has internal water leaks in her flat! or in the pipework past the meter to her flat.
    The water board needs to establish firmly, and in writing, to you and your Mother that she has an independant water supply from the outside mains stoptap* to her flat and not coupled with any other premises.
    Be aware that all utilities make mistakes, in all areas of their operations, and normally in their favour. Keep onto them until you and your Mother have a satisfactory conclusion.
    Follow the 6 'Ps' principle.
  • Agreed £300 seems far too high.

It is easy to check if she is paying for the upstairs flat, an outside tap?, or has a leak.

Simply take an accurate reading of of the meter at a time when she will not be using any water - preferably if she is going away for a day or 2 but even overnight will do. When she returns the reading should not have changed.
    Robert
  • brm_2brm_2 Forumite
    119 Posts
    Robert5988 wrote:
    Agreed £300 seems far too high.

It is easy to check if she is paying for the upstairs flat, an outside tap?, or has a leak.

Simply take an accurate reading of of the meter at a time when she will not be using any water - preferably if she is going away for a day or 2 but even overnight will do. When she returns the reading should not have changed.

Good advice
    But how do you know the meter is working correctly?
    5-9-88
    Follow the 6 'Ps' principle.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide