Edinburgh - 3 & 4 December

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
2 replies 889 views
SCOYASCOYA Forumite
207 Posts
100 Posts
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
I'll be visiting Edinburgh this coming weekend, with my neice. We have a tour booked on Satuday evening with Mercat tours 8pm, and will obviously be visiting the Castle, and I understand there is a Christmas market this weekend. So what I'm hoping for is some suggestions on where to eat (I've heard Jimmy Chungs (sp?) is good food and good value), as we'll be eating early on Saturday, together with other must see places and we want to cram as much in as possible.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks, Scoya.

Replies

• Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can read about the German Christmas Market here and its held at the Mound on Princes Street.

Can certainly recommend Jimmy Chungs try having a late lunch, early tea as its only £5.99 for the buffet provided you are finished by 5.00 pm at the one near Waverley Station just off Princes Street. Last time we went at 3.30 ish and you can always have a bag of chips when you finish your Mercat tour, try Bennys in the High Street icon10.gif

Have done both a Mercat Tour and the Witchery Murder and Mystery tour, read about the Witchery Tour here. The Mercat Tour tended to be a bit more serious.

I would suggest perhaps taking an open topped bus tour on the Saturday morning which will give you a reduced price on entry to the Castle depending of which company you use. Your ticket last for 24 hours so you can use it again the next day and you pick up the buses from opposite Waverley Station and can get on and off at various stops.

Might help to read through the daft thread here on the last Edinburgh meet which might give you some ideas on what the visitors thought of their visit to Edinburgh.

Also for eating near the centre is a newish complex the name of which escapes me but Pink Winged might remember, where they ate twice at the Tapas bar and there are a number of italian, pizza and chinese restaurants and bars icon7.gif

Hope this helps and sing out if you need any more help.

icon7.gif
  • Hi,
    it's hard to add to what Edi_lass has suggested, but I do agree with the open top tour, but wrap up ;)
    I think the new complex is the Omni Centre, it's at the top of Leith Walk (head east to the end of Princes' St then follow the road down to the left) there's a cinema and lots of places to eat, the chinese buffet place (China China) is good value and have a slightly more varied menu than Jimmy Cheungs (especially at night)
    Camera Obscura on the royal mile is worth a visit (you can pop in on the way to the castle)
    I'm only here for the banter
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides