P87 Woes : TaxMan Hates All HArd Workers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
2 replies 742 views
zippydamctzippydamct Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
I have had a fuel card forced upon me, before receiving this I would submit a claim to my emplyer every month with business milage done, so I got £0.40 per mile with no deductions.

Now I have filled in a P87 form of which I have completed, stating the business milage done and proof showing this.

If from the forums I read I will not receive the £0.40 per mile anymore as the mileage I have done is calculated as follows;

7202 miles at £0.40 = 2880.80 of which I will get 40% of that amount - circa a 1000£ if they give it!

Iused to get the full amount and now with fuel card I won't that can't be right can it?:mad:

Replies

• johnllewjohnllew Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    zippydamct wrote: »
    TaxMan Hates All HArd Workers
    Don't be silly.
    I have had a fuel card forced upon me
    What's that got to do with the taxman?
    Iused to get the full amount and now with fuel card I won't that can't be right can it?:mad:
    I take it that now you've got a fuel card, your employer pays your business fuel for you? If so, you've saved the cost of the fuel, haven't you, so why should you be able to claim the full 40p a mile?
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it doesn't cost anything like 40p per mile for fuel even in a big gas guzzler, if the car in question is a company car and the employer pays all other expenses you have lost a nice little earner but you were fortunate to get so much, we get 14p per mile. If the car is yours do you get a car allowance from the employer otherwise you will be out of pocket for running costs over and above fuel.

It's not the taxman that hate's hard workers it's the government policies that ensure middle income employees pay far to much tax and miss out on the benefits in the bands below.

Having said that I prefer to pay my tax on my company car and not have to worry about tax insurance, tyres etc, it would cost more than the tax I pay per month.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals