tax back on professional fee

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
2 replies 615 views
rascalpaskellrascalpaskell Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
I pay a professional fee of £450 and wondered how I go about claiming tax back on it as my employer doesn't cover it. Also does anyone know how much I'm entitled to?


  • LittleVoiceLittleVoice Forumite
    9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Is it essential that you pay this fee in order to be able to carry out your employment?
  • bristol_pilotbristol_pilot Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    If it is on the list of professional bodies approved by HMRC (see link) then you can reclaim the tax paid on it. If in doubt, claim.

    You claim either by filling in a tax return at the end of the tax year or just by writing a letter to the tax office telling them how much you have paid and to which body and they will adjust your tax code accordingly. (To extract the full saving you may need to fill in the tax form anyway, as changes to tax codes are not applied retrospectively and we are already quite a way through the current tax year).

    You can claim the tax paid, which will be £126.92 if you are a basic rate taxpayer or £300 for a higher-rate taxpayer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals