Council tax discount if working

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
2 replies 541 views
rainbow456rainbow456 Forumite
31 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
Hi my husband works a full time job and i am unemployed at the moment but looking, i wanted to know that can we get a discount on our council tax , we also own our property and have a mortgage to pay. so basically at the moment were living off whatever my husbands earn only, any help would be great


  • soozsooz Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Sadly no.

    If you move out, are under 17, a full time student, or in prison, or severely mentally impaired (few other exemptions too see here) then he might be able to qualify for a single person's discount, meaning he'd pay 25% less. Otherwise, no.
  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Sooz is correct in that no council tax discounts are applicable but depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to claim some Council Tax Benefit to pay towards your Council Tax. Contact your local council for details or see if they have a benefit calculator on their website.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals