CHEAP CIGARETTES ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
41 replies 8.3K views
RAM1_2RAM1_2 Forumite
57 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi,Anyone know where on the internet to buy cheap cigs.Ihave tried a few and they either took too long,or did not deliver the full quantity.The one company that was honourable was taken off the net.i am feed up with paying high taxes and being ripped off in this nanny state.   ram1.

Replies

• IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAM
    Can't help you but we can't really complain about rip-off. The taxes on ciggies are very high (probably one of the highest in Europe) but then we have other taxes that are much lower. I have had this discussion on other boards and we had various suggestions to reduce the tax on cigarettes (highlights included)
    - you must purchase a licence to be allowed to smoke
    - increase the duty on alchohol
    - ban smokers from the National Health Service
    - do away with child benefit
    - add 2-5% onto income tax
    - increase the VAT rate
    - only buy stolen cigarettes
    - reduce dole and incapacity benefits
    - (my favourite) add high taxes onto the use of mobile phones

I know most of the above are tongue in cheek (as is this posting meant to be) but the only certainities in life are that you are born, you will die and in between you will pay taxes. I have found 'rip-off' sites for many countries throughout the world (including Britain, Eire, Cananda, USA, Australia and various European ones - but I can't verify that because I don't speak any foreign languages). The one thing in common is that they pick on a tax that is high in their country and compare it to other countries while totally ignoring those taxes that are much lower in their country.

Good luck on your search (although I do feel guilty about wishing somebody luck in finding something that will kill them ;D ;D)
    Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • GOOD REPLY IVAN AND POINT TAKEN.SORRY I AM FATALISTIC IN MY APPROACH TO LIFE,WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE SOME DAY WITH SOME DISEASE OR OTHER.I BELIEVE IN FREE WILL AND I ENJOY MY CIGS AND COULD BE DOING WORSE THINGS IN LIFE.YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A NON SMOKER WHICH IS FINE.ANYWAY I WILL KEEP LOOKING FOR A BARGAIN AND IF THERE ARE ANY SMOKERS OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. JUST REMEMBER THOUGH SMOKERS PAY OVER 7 BILLION IN TAXES.THE COST TO THE HEALTH SERVICE IN SMOKING RELATED DISEASES ACCORDING TO GOVERNMENT IS 1.7 BILLION!A HEALTHY PROFIT I WOULD SAY.ANOTHER POINT IF EVERYONE STOPS SMOKING WHERE IS THE TAX REVENUE GOING TO COME FROM?HAVING SAID THAT AND FOR THIS REASON I DO NOT BELIEVE THE GOVERNMENT REALLY WANTS EVERYONE TO STOP.THEY USE THIS AS AN EXCUSE TO HIKE PRICES EVERY YEAR. REGARDS, RAM.
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second that Ram.

I smoke, I wish that I didn't, but I do.....and I pay for it in more ways than one.

Pink
  • I'm not a smoker so didn't go to check it out but people with taking trolley loads of cigs from Makro at the weekend
  • THANKS FOR THE TIP.I WILL CHECK IT OUT BUT IT IS PROBABLY BUSINESS PEOPLE BUYING IN BULK TO RESELL.YOUR REPLY VERY WELCOME. RAM.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A NON SMOKER WHICH IS FINE.
    I smoked for almost 25 years but gave up 4 years ago (via Zyban and another little incentive ... we moved house and I could not afford the mortgage if I continued to smoke ;D).

I always said to DW that she could shoot me if I became a holier-than-thou reformed-smoker.  I believe in and will defend a smokers right to smoke as long as it is not in a designated non-smoking area (and the vast vast majority of smokers adhere to the rules ... so why is that the they have to put up with whingers).  I know it is very likely that we will see laws banning smoking in all public places in the near future ... I am actually against this draconian nanny state measure.  Smoking should be banned anywhere that serves food but elsewhere places likes bars/pubs should be able to decide for themselves.  I wonder how long it will be before people are not even allowed to smoke in their own house ?

Smokers do more than pay their way (I posted the figures you have listed below on another thread about 6 months ago).  At this point in time I think that more tax revenue should be sought from alchohol and mobile phones - both of which can be as big a nuisance as smoke.

Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • I quit smoking too ...but a friend of mine made me notice the other day that some shops have higher prices than others on same branded cigarettes.

Is that possible or should it not be all the same?
  • HI,THANKS FOR THE REPLY.IT IS TRUE THAT CIG PRICES VARY AND THAT IS FAIR COMPETITION.TESCOS IS ABOUT THE CHEAPEST THERE IS HERE. REGARDS, RAM.
  • THANKS IVAN FOR YOUR REPLY,I AM BEGINNING TO LIKE YOU NOW LOL. RAM.
  • THANKS ALSO TO PINK-WINGED FOR YOUR REPLY.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals