best way to use??

Options
cady
cady Posts: 668 Forumite
hi im a bit confused to which is the best way to use my appliences so i save as much £££ as possible...

Electric oven - is it best to be on a low temp for longer or a high temp for short period of time

Gas centeral heating - is it best to turn the heating on full blast for half an hour to get warm then turn off or have on a low temp for 2+ hours? )its a combi bolier if that helps)

gas hob - is it best to have high gas on or let pan simmer on log gas for longer

???? i appreciate it may be a silly question for some but not long lived on our own and was wondering which is best ..... and tips or advise is very welcome

Cady x

Comments

• unhappybuuny79
    Options
    Speaking from experience…

The central heating works best when kept on all the time on low, or on low for as long as possible, as when its warm it uses less gas. Obviously if the house is warm the thermostat will turn it down anyway so that’s a first priority to make sure your house is warm. If you can afford to have it serviced this also can save you money by ensuring its working to the best possible.

As for ovens and hobs, ensure whatever your cooking you use maximum available i.e., if you’re cooking potatoes’ in a pan, steam your other veg in a steamer pan above, that way your only using one jet for multiple uses. The same applies for the oven, get as much in there as you can, if you’re cooking one thing you might as well stick a cake in there or something…. Obviously doesn’t help if you’re cooking smelly food, but it is possible.
  • cady
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, how about the washer does that use more elec on a higher temp and will it use less on a shorter wash? Thanks
  • unhappybuuny79
    Options
    Higher temp = more gas/elec dependent upon the washing machine. ensure your doing a full load and with the decent detergents these days a 30 degree wash is sufficient for normal day to day washing.

AND ITS GOOD FOR THE ENVIROMENT TOO!

:T :T :T
  • cady
    Options
    cool does anyone know about the oven as its an electric one and i was wondering if its best on a low temp or quick high temp???
  • cady
    Options
    can anyone answer this please?
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    cady wrote: »
    can anyone answer this please?

It depends on what you`re cooking. If you baking a cake then if you used the higheste temperature it would just burn.

If I`m roasting potatoes I always put them in the microwave for a bit to half cook them then I finish them off in the oven. I generally cook twice as much food as I need and then freeze the rest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure