Possible 15% discount for EDF customers.

Options
kibs
kibs Posts: 83 Forumite
I was made aware today that EDF are doing a discount of up to 15% for customers, including those on prepay, who meet their criteria.

The Tariff is called Energy Assist.

You have to call them to see if you are eligible and to set it up. The discount, becomes immediatly activated.

0800 056 3866 is the number to call

Comments

• novelli
    novelli Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how would this be immediately activated as with a prepay meter they would need to come out and reset it??
    i have a card meter not a key meter?
    thanks
  • Hek_3
    Options
    I have just phoned edf as I am a "customer" of theirs on prepayment meters. The condition to receiving an up-to-15% discount is that you qualify - ie on some kind of benefits or below certain income etc - I did qualify and it is effective immediately. However, as you rightly state they cannot get to everyone's meters to adjust them so the way it will work is this, you pay now and get a rebate in May, either in the form of free electricity/gas for a while or a letter which you take to the Post Office where you will get a cash refund. Also it is not necessarily 15% - I am assuming it is dependent on how much you spend - but that could just be my scepticism talking. They are sending me the terms and conditions and an explanation leaflet etc, so I will post again once I receive that. I have opted to go for it as it makes no difference at all, except that I may gain come next Spring and it does not stop me from changing suppliers in the interim if I so choose. Nothing lost basically - remains to be seen whether there is anything to gain, but worth a shot methinks.
    Hope that helps :).
  • novelli
    Options
    OK, i just called \EDF as i qualify fior the discount, only to be told that as i am on a prepayment token meter i cannot have the discount!!! I said wel change it to a token meter and they said that dont in this area!! So even though i am entitled to the discount because of their equipent i cant have it unless i go onto DD, which i dont want to do.
    Any suggestions anyone??:mad:

thanks
  • twiz21
    twiz21 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I asked about Energy Assist over the phone.

They said they would send me a form to fill out and would need my national insurance number.

I received a letter and leaflet the other day. No form to fill out.

The letter says I'm eligible for the scheme and I'll receive a cheque towards the end of the year. The discount is 15% off Standard energy prices.

It seems this scheme has existed since 2006, I've only just heard about it in the last few weeks.

Here is the leaflet I was sent, T's & C's.

EDFENERGYASSIST200800001-1.jpg
  • novelli
    Options
    well its turning into a bit of a joke now.

EDF say that as i dont receive income support i am not eligable. Now i do receive child tax credit, which is exactly the same rate as income support. Ive no idea why i get CTC and not income support, as i am a single parent who does not work.
    I get £117 pw CTC
    £52.00 pw Carers allowance for my disabled son

Thats my income
    She says they include council tax and housing benefit as income and says my income is over £13000. No idea how she worked that one out??
    She also said that i would have to spend at least 10% of my income on gas and electric to be eligible, i told her welll i know i do that as feeding the meters is becming a nightmare. She then said no i didnt and stated that i only paid £400 for gas and £400 for electric. Considering i put £40+ in electric and £30 in gas weekly, and thats in the summer with no heating etc, its clear that they are using old figures to come up with this, but she was not interested in the fact that they were using incorrect figures to make these decisions.
    This was the 2nd excuse in one day, as first i was told earlier today that i couldnt have the discount because i was on a token meter and not a card meter and they dont put card meters in this area apparently????:mad:

I have spent the day trying to get my finances on track by taking advantage of various schemes for those in financial difficulty, but got absolutely nowhere!!!!!:mad:

Then i went to the bank to draw out CTC only to find it hadnt been paid in!!!!:mad:
    so another couple of hours sitting on phone listening to music etc, only to be told, cant tell you as u failed the security check, aarrgghhh!!!! he wouldnt ask me the questions again, but rang back spoke to someone else giving exact same details (how could i get my name,address and DOB wrong anyway) who said oh yes thats because your son started staying on in full time education this week (no it didnt ring right with me either), so no money until monday, thats how the system works!!!!! nice of them to notify me that i had to live off fresh air this week!!!!!!!!:eek:
  • frames1_uk
    Options
    kibs wrote: »
    I was made aware today that EDF are doing a discount of up to 15% for customers, including those on prepay, who meet their criteria.

The Tariff is called Energy Assist.

You have to call them to see if you are eligible and to set it up. The discount, becomes immediatly activated.

0800 056 3866 is the number to call

Just called and got the discount, thanks for that!
  • frames1_uk
    Options
    twiz21, am very surprised they asked for National Insurance number, surely they have no access to any of that kind of information with regards to tax and income?

Sounds to be like it all goes purely on trust. The lady asked what my total income was, then asked what my outgoings on gas/electricity were and said that I qualified and would set it up now, she didn't ask any more than that.
  • twiz21
    Options
    frames1_uk wrote: »
    twiz21, am very surprised they asked for National Insurance number, surely they have no access to any of that kind of information with regards to tax and income?

Sounds to be like it all goes purely on trust. The lady asked what my total income was, then asked what my outgoings on gas/electricity were and said that I qualified and would set it up now, she didn't ask any more than that.

I was told over the phone that I would be asked for my National Insurance number on the form being sent to me, but I wasn't sent a form, just a confirmation letter.

I actually don't expect anything from them in spite of the letter I received saying I would. It just seems so vague and I haven't signed anything or filled out any forms. Or provided them of any evidence. I just told them over the phone what benefits I'm receiving.
  • frames1_uk
    Options
    twiz21 wrote: »
    I was told over the phone that I would be asked for my National Insurance number on the form being sent to me, but I wasn't sent a form, just a confirmation letter.

I actually don't expect anything from them in spite of the letter I received saying I would. It just seems so vague and I haven't signed anything or filled out any forms. Or provided them of any evidence. I just told them over the phone what benefits I'm receiving.

it's all vague isn't it? I'll also believe it when I see it! I'll just have to keep an eye on my bills.
  • twiz21
    Options
    novelli wrote: »
    OK, i just called \EDF as i qualify fior the discount, only to be told that as i am on a prepayment token meter i cannot have the discount!!! I said wel change it to a token meter and they said that dont in this area!! So even though i am entitled to the discount because of their equipent i cant have it unless i go onto DD, which i dont want to do.
    Any suggestions anyone??:mad:

thanks

Novelli, look at number 6 on the terms and conditions leaflet in my post above. It says you can still get a discount if you have a prepayment meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure