Price compare sites wrong !!!!

Options
I have been reviewing my Gas and Electric for 1 month now. I am currently with EDF on their ONLINEv4 Dual Fuel Tarriff.
When using hte price compare sites such as USWITCH (as well as other sites ) the savings I can make are in the region of £20 or even loss of upto £125.
As I dig in deeper and use pen and paper to work out my own savings it was far greater.
MY EDF RATES ON THE COMPARE SITES ARE WRONG. !

Unit prices compared.

Gas 5.565p per kWh (correct):T 3.209p per kWh above 2680 kWh p.a (correct):T Electricity 13.13p per kWh (wrong - actually 20.39p per Kwh ) :mad: 11.08p per kWh above 900 kWh p.a (wrong - 12.65p per Kwh) :mad: BE WARNED - pen and paper can often be better and obtain figures dirct from the supplier for your current rates.

Computers can often tell you what THEY want you hear. !

Comments

• Capyboppy
    Capyboppy Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have always done my own workings out when comparing tariffs. Whenever I have used the online comparison websites, each one comes out with a different company as the cheapest. Recently when doing it I have found my Scottish Power fixed rate until 2011 isn't even listed in the drop down box. It is always best to get your last 12 months of usage for each utiltity (gas and electric) then work out what the other companies would have charged based on the kilowatt hours etc. It can get complicated with some of them that have 2 tiers, but at least you know your workings out should be correct.
  • mech_2
    mech_2 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    Capyboppy wrote: »
    Recently when doing it I have found my Scottish Power fixed rate until 2011 isn't even listed in the drop down box.

It is, it just doesn't have "2011" in the name.

Generally I find comparison websites fairly accurate, but you do need to make sure you're using kWh rather than letting them estimate your usage. And make sure you're entering the same information in each of them. Different websites tend to give different suppliers as the cheapest usually because not every website has every tariff listed.

It is interesting that BARGAIN_HUNTER found a discrepancy in the unit rates. Maybe the website had that postcode listed under the wrong supplier area or something. Probably best to notify them of the error.
  • Capyboppy
    Capyboppy Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another thing too that I can't get my head around with these comparison sites. Quite often they give you the option to choose dual fuel. When doing this you still then have to put separate amounts in the gas and electric boxes. So say you are paying £50 for dual fuel, you still have to work out what percentage you think you are paying for each one, which of course can vary throughout the year. That is why I think sometimes there is this descrepancy, and much better to get your kilowatt hours for the last 12 months. Then of course you have the hassle of when you ring up they want to know if you require the information because you are thinking of changing supplier:eek: Can't win. Yes, I know we can work it all out from the last 12 months of bills, but sometimes in life we need a little help in the form of time saving:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure