joint electric bill

Options
hi,

i'm not entirely sure which part to post this in, but here go's.........

i split with my partner last year, we had bills in joint names, i paid most of them, but one left if the electric bill. He kept saying he would pay his half, but didnt. I called the electric company to see if i paid half of the amount would they take my name off - naive i know! obviously their answer was no, but the girl advised me to hang out until he paid his half.
Well he hasnt & now i am receiving debt collectors letters without his name. i have asked why his name isnt on the debt but they have not repsonded.
why arent they chasing him as well?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Because you are the easy one to chase. Joint means you are both liable for the full amount until it is paid - not 50% sadly.

Do you have contact details for him??? Do you get on? If you do then ask him for the money - if you do not then write to them to tell them you are unable to settle this debt due to your personal circumstances but the joint account holder will be able to help.

The chasing is likely to continue until its paid in full by either one of you. It may be easier for you to just pay it and be done with it.
  • thepinkladez_2
    Options
    i agree with skylight on this one!sorry! you are probably best to pay it all if you can, horrible and unfair as it isi personally would rather that then the stress of it going to court? if you know where your ex lives then you could by all means pass on his details to the electricity company for them to chase him, but this may not mean he pays the debt.
  • tkblueyonder
    Options
    How much is his part of the debt?
  • vikkih110
    vikkih110 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks for the quick replies guys.

believe me....if i had the money i'd pay it to get it & him out of my life. but i am currently setting up a debt management plan because he also kindly spent money on my credit cards & now i cant afford the repayments. i know it was stupid of me but at the time........you know.

we dont get on at all, i have tried talking to him, but all he did was send his mum round! thats how mature he is!
  • tkblueyonder
    Options
    vikkih110 wrote: »
    thanks for the quick replies guys.

believe me....if i had the money i'd pay it to get it & him out of my life. but i am currently setting up a debt management plan because he also kindly spent money on my credit cards & now i cant afford the repayments. i know it was stupid of me but at the time........you know.

we dont get on at all, i have tried talking to him, but all he did was send his mum round! thats how mature he is!

looks like you will have your work cut out with this one , does he owe you lots of money?
  • vikkih110
    Options
    its just this electric bill i want to get sorted.
    i know theres nothing i can do about what was spent on the credit cards
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi If he has spent money on your cards can't you ask for the goods he bought? Tell him you will accept them in lieu of his share of the electricity bill.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • moodydonkey
    moodydonkey Posts: 5,218 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I had same sort of situation, I switched to a pre payment meter so that I could pay the debt off bit by bit, took a look at my own leccy spending too cos it does make you cut down! You could do this and stil keep going after him for his share. I know you pay for having a meter but I preferred it to the stress of being chased for a debt. Good luck.
    Sadly, you don't have any badges yet but keep trying! See what you could get........... oh boo hoo I am crying into my wine. :D
  • vikkih110
    Options
    thanks guys.
    i hate being chased for money, i cant sleep at night & cant relax.

i have tried asking him to return the things he took which i paid for, but again, he just sends his mum round to my house

I cannot understand why they have removed his name. when i asked them to remove mine, they wouldnt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure