🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Why don't they want our money???

Options
Newbie and thought someone would be able to help.

After being refused a mortgage, (March) we looked into our credit history. Hubby had about 10k worth of debt that he haad "forgotten" "knew nothing about".

Anyway we've cleared 3k, already. 1 has been written off as they couldn't prove it was owed.

Well we have 4 o/s debts, and the companies just won't get back to us.

Written once to request verification of debt, and then again (recorded mail) to chase this up. Still not heard anything. Some of these debts are 5-6 years old, and at addresses hubby never lived at (and don't exist) so thought it was maybe ID fraud.

But to be honest we just want rid of them, and to build a clean slate (luckily between us we have a little but to pay off them).

How can I get them to respond to us? and to pay them off?

Thanks T

Comments

• angelflower_2
    angelflower_2 Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    Options
    sorry maybe i am being thick but if they are not his debts....why on earth would you want to pay them rather than fight it? Not exactly a small amount of money?

Perhaps if they havent got back to you its because they cannot prove they are yours and I def dont understand how debt can be taken out using a bogus address??

Can you try phoning them in this instance if only to see if they have received your letters (dont admit to debt and dont agree to anything except in writing)
    DFW 228 LONG H 68
    DFD 2017 :eek:
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    And you should be able to get them removed or a note added to your credit file. Sorry I don't know how, but I know others here have done this.

Good luck - and please stop paying debts that aren't yours, it just encourages the Dc's in their [STRIKE]bullying[/STRIKE] work. ;)
  • thepinkladez_2
    Options
    when you wrote to them did you request a cca?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport