Should I Change My Boiler ???

Options
shilts
shilts Posts: 78 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi , please excuse me if i have posted this in the wrong place , but here we go .
With the price of gas currently going through the roof i was wondering whether to renew my 12 year old boiler. The trouble is that i really don't know how efficient my current boiler is . Does anyone know where i can find out the efficiency of my boiler or ideed tell me it's efficiecy . The boiler is an 'IDEAL MEXICO SUPER 2 - CF50' . Any help will be very much appreciated , thanks .

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    You can get a person out to test your boiler with some wondrous gadget. I had a Corgi registered chappie out to mine who put a probe into the flue and measured all sorts. He told me it was 85% efficient.

Might be worth trying that before deciding whether to replace or not?

Although at 12 years old it might well be time?
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • shilts
    shilts Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks aliasojo !
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

You could also search here ...... http://www.boilers.org.uk/

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Dave2112
    Dave2112 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also look at using your current boiler more efficiently. My central heating got worse and worse and when I eventually got someone out who knew what they were doing (plumbers round my area seem to not turn up when booked or are clueless so got someone off the internet who would travel) I got a blockage in the pipes fixed and the system power flushed. Yes I know often a power flush isn't needed but in my case it made a superb difference. I also have the boiler turned on less, lower temperatures on the thermostats etc. Greatly reduced my bills. Anyway, I would suggest looking at what you can do with your current system as well as paying £X,000's for a new boiler.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    shilts wrote: »
    Hi , please excuse me if i have posted this in the wrong place , but here we go .
    With the price of gas currently going through the roof i was wondering whether to renew my 12 year old boiler. The trouble is that i really don't know how efficient my current boiler is . Does anyone know where i can find out the efficiency of my boiler or ideed tell me it's efficiecy . The boiler is an 'IDEAL MEXICO SUPER 2 - CF50' . Any help will be very much appreciated , thanks .
    If you look on the sedbuk site,sedbuk.com, it lists the efficiency of most boilers, however the nearest to your boiler is the mexico super cf40 or cf65 both of which list at 65%.
    Last year I changed my boiler from a 65% efficient one to a modern condensing version (95%??). I am saving about 3500 kwh of gas per year, at 2.5p per kwh that's £87 a year. I will be 91 when I have recouped the installation costs, that is assuming that both the boiler and I last that long.
  • Colin_London
    Options
    Just had our 12 year old boiler serviced (it was in the house when we bought it - i'm estimating 12 years by the date on the boiler manual!).

The plumber (Corgi registered) wrote the following figures on the invoice:

Gas Consumption:

20.67kW Gross
    18.67kW Nett

Does this mean that the boiler is 90% efficient, or am I simplifying it too much? The boiler model appears to be too old for the SEDBUK website database.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure