Abbey charges

Hi ,I was just wondering if it was possible to reclaim bank charges that have been passed over to debt collection agencies????As i recieved a letter on mon saying that i owe the abbey £375 it was the first letter like this i have recieved , when i contacted d l c they said that letters have been posted in the past , but they have all went to my old address, as i moved house 4 years ago!! the account in question has not been used in 4 years so i would presume that this amount is made up of charges..any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• MegaBucks
    MegaBucks Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hey, As far as I am aware of yes you can claim from a DCA

PS, i know...sometimes it takes a VERY long time to get a response on this board!
  • leelfc05
    leelfc05 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Cheers megabucks , its my first post so all the advice is apprieciated!!
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    first step, you need to write to the dca and tell them you dispute the amount owing, and are disputing the amount with the original creditor. write to the bank with a subject access request to find out what the amounts made up of, and in the same letter telll them you believe it to be made of unfair charges and dispute any balance owing. This should get the account passed back to the bank and you can proceed with your bank charges reclaim.
    LegalBeagles
  • Thanks esmerellda for the info , but when i recieved the letter i sort of paniced and paid £100 of the outstanding balance , is it still possible to reclaim or have i shot myself in the foot !!!:confused:
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    you're fine....write to abbey and westcot about the charges making up the debt and you wold like a refund. Westcot are just noise makers anyway so don't be too concerned.
    LegalBeagles
  • leelfc05
    leelfc05 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks a lot esmerelda , i will give it a go, after all its better in my pocket !!!:D
  • After contacting the abbey i was informed that this amount owed did indeed come from bank charges and that these charges started in july 2006 , i have asked them for more info about this matter only to be told that they(the girl i was speaking to in collections) cannot go back to give me an exact date as to when my account (the one i haven't used for four years) went overdrawn.I had explained that all payments to be made from that account had been switched to my new account but she continued to inform me that the account was overdrawn and the reason these charges had occured was because they had put a stop to my arranged overdraft due to account inactivity. So when i asked how much i was overdrawn she said £66.91 to which i replied i would pay in full but i was informed that this has been passed to dlc and i would have to pay the full amount of £373.59 of which i have paid £300 to date , i was wondering is it still possible to try and get my money back?????? if so i take it i just send a letter as mentioned in the post above , and cross my fingers !!, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure