Barclays - £5 overdrawn = £30 fine?!

My gf just received a letter today saying as she was £5 overdrawn they have charged her £30 for the privilege.
Her account is just a basic Barclays account with a Visa Electron and no overdraft.
Is this the kind of situation where you can claim the money back?
Most of the info I've seen is relating to bank charges from years ago on overdrafts etc which is rather confusing.

If so, what do we do now? Pay the £30 fine then send off the letters and wait?

Thanks

Comments

• seikothrill
    seikothrill Posts: 138
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    nadnerb wrote: »
    My gf just received a letter today saying as she was £5 overdrawn they have charged her £30 for the privilege.
    Her account is just a basic Barclays account with a Visa Electron and no overdraft.
    Is this the kind of situation where you can claim the money back?
    Most of the info I've seen is relating to bank charges from years ago on overdrafts etc which is rather confusing.

If so, what do we do now? Pay the £30 fine then send off the letters and wait?

Thanks

This may sound like a dig so I apologise in advance.

I cannot see the problem with being charged £30 for going over any agreed overdraft limit. We are all aware of the rules and charges banks make so it the fault of your g/f for breaking the rules. The simple solution is not to go over your overdraft limit.

I have never gone overdrawn as I am aware of charges I will incur so it is frustrating to hear people winging about these charges.

It is about time I received something from the banks for being an A1 account holder etc.

If you know the cost of any default DO NOT default - simple really
  • shooter
    shooter Posts: 153 Forumite
    Hi
    If thiswas the 1st time this has happened yout GF could try contacting the bank and explaining that this is her 1st charge and the circumstances surrounding the reason for the charge and asking that they refund it on this occaision. Most banks will if its the 1st ever time.
    remember to stay calm when calling as if you get shirt they won't help at all

good luck

shooter
    :rotfl: Surely life can't get any worse it has to only get better from hear on out :j
    January NSD aim 15days
  • nadnerb_2
    nadnerb_2 Posts: 572
    Forumite
    This may sound like a dig so I apologise in advance.

I cannot see the problem with being charged £30 for going over any agreed overdraft limit. We are all aware of the rules and charges banks make so it the fault of your g/f for breaking the rules. The simple solution is not to go over your overdraft limit.

I have never gone overdrawn as I am aware of charges I will incur so it is frustrating to hear people winging about these charges.

It is about time I received something from the banks for being an A1 account holder etc.

If you know the cost of any default DO NOT default - simple really
    I know, I've never been overdrawn, and I've never used my £500 overdraft but my gf made a simple mistake.
    She transferred money to this card and assumed 3 days later it was there. When the transaction went through in the shop she assumed it was all ok - apparently not though.

And about being an A1 account holder, that reminds me, Lloyds owe me the £50 they promise to their student account holders who don't use their overdraft in the first year! kerching!
  • nadnerb_2
    Forumite
    shooter wrote: »
    Hi
    If thiswas the 1st time this has happened yout GF could try contacting the bank and explaining that this is her 1st charge and the circumstances surrounding the reason for the charge and asking that they refund it on this occaision. Most banks will if its the 1st ever time.
    remember to stay calm when calling as if you get shirt they won't help at all

good luck

shooter
    Thanks, that may be worth a try.
    However, we think we've found the solution.
    Apparently if you don't go overdrawn again within the next year they will refund the fine. We're just gonna do that.
    Thanks
  • stratty
    stratty Posts: 143
    Forumite
    Barclays are a joke in this respect.

I have a £10 overdraft and they allow you to go £10 over this before they start refusing to honour payments.

Now the first £5 of this additional £10 they allow you does not incur any additional charge but as soon as you exceed this they charge £30.

I spoke to the bank and asked them if they can remove the ability to go over my overdraft and they said this is the way the system is setup.

Purely to generate charges imo.
  • nadnerb_2
    Forumite
    Exactly, it's totally unfair, she never asked for a £10 overdraft (although it's in the T&C's no doubt)
    My girlfriend is from Germany and she was under the impression that if there's no money on the card the transaction would be declined. And that's the way it should be!
    Oh well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport