Flights to Johannesburg wanted

Options
Friend of mine is going in April (kept telling him to book early but he was having none of it). Birmingham, Manchester, Heathrow or at a push Gatwick departing 7th -9th April returning 18-20th April, 2 adults + 2 children (8 + 10). Back in April he had a price of £1400, August £1550 but now they are looking at best part of £1700. Anyone got any ideas if there is anything cheaper?

Comments

• Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I usually find that www.expedia.co.uk can scout out the cheapest flights.....

try someone like trailfinders - they're usually quite good too....
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    best from expedia is £2,334.40 total...... isn't there a lo-cost airline taht flies to SA??
  • sydneybound
    Options
    Look for Nationwide (a 'lower' budget national carrier) or go with an airline like Kenya Airways (but be sure to check the connections... sometimes there are two stops in Kenya - Nairobi and somewhere else).

Good luck!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I generally put the same details in www.Expedia.co.uk, www.Ebookers.com, www.travelocity.co.uk, www.airfaresbasement.com and www.opodo.co.uk - there is sometimes a wide variation in prices as they don't all seem to cover all the same airlines. Once narrowed down, I reassure myself by checking the price on the airline's own site as they have sometimes beaten the fare (special offers etc). www.travelsupermarket.com now makes this easier as it searches most of the online sites (same stable as www.moneysupermarket.com). Once you have found the cheapest site, also check some of the cashback sites (Mutalpoints/Rpoints etc) to see if you can get any money back on the deal as well.

If you are prepared to have a stop then the cheaper fares kick in (Emirates, Gulf etc), but with the details you mention, it comes in around £1700. Remember that sometimes prices get cheaper as different offers come online (not always cheaper booking early, but fare looks reasonable at £1700 for 4 as a friend paid £900+ earlier this year for 1 person).

Anon
  • Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    KLM was the cheapest when we went. Worth checking and direct from Amsterdam.
  • NellieA
    NellieA Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    I've been looking for a flight to Joburg from London. They were starting at around 750 pounds but I've found one for 555 going in February for a month on S.African Airways. Can't go indirect as its my mother-in-law 71 travelling alone. That was through Airflights.co.uk mentioned on here. Don't know whether to book this now or wait for BA sale. Nationwide were roughly the same price but heard mixed views on them. Any ideas appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure