Another rise .... potential 15% rise in rates

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
8 replies 906 views
declanmccdeclanmcc Forumite
412 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4373574.stm

And this is on top of the eventual water rates as well!!

Replies

• MMCG_2MMCG_2 Forumite
    280 Posts
    Just another form of taxes only the men/women making the decisions must think we are so thick we don't realise this!
    2p or not 2p? That is the question!
  • not much we can do about it ! We cant vote the labour government out and they know it !
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have posted several times on this site that this is only the thin end of the wedge ... people have to start getting accustomed to the thought that their rates are going to probably double in the next 5 years or so. Part of the problem is that every NI political party is pandering to various groups that label themselves as poor, and therefore claim they can not pay, meaning that a smaller and smaller number of people will be footing the entire bill for NI.

On top of this we have water rates coming in 2007 and again every political party is pandering to various groups claiming poverty. Well I am sorry .. but some people need to learn that if they can afford alchohol, cigarettes and tattoos then they can afford to pay for water.

We also need to sort out our civil service. At the minute in NI approximately 75% of the working population either works directly or indirectly for the civil service. This is unsustainable ... if the government needs more money then it needs to prune out the abundance of deadwood within its own ranks before coming back to the tax payer.

We hear that this money is going to fund the health service and other education projects. I actually believe that all this 'extra' money will probably get absorbed into our cash zapping civil service never to be seen again ... loads of new paper pushing non-jobs. We have already pumped millions into the health service with absolutaly no improvement (if anything it has got worse).

Education is not that much different either ... however much of the issue is with parents demanding more and more services and expecting the schools and education authorities to pick up the tab ... while all these services are nice-to-haves parents have to consider funding several of them themselves.

A fundamental overhaul is required ... our services are NOT cash strapped they are just very very wasteful. Other countries get better services for less money.

Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • SimpsonSimpson Forumite
    148 Posts
    100 Posts
    When did you last hear of someone being taken to court for not paying their rates?

Do you think thats because everyone is paying?

I am told that the reason is that they cannot prosecute someone if they are attempting to pay. In other words all of us who have set up dd's with the bank to pay our rates or who pay up front to get the small discount are actually subsidising for a large number in our society who pay a small token amount each month claiming it's all they can afford.

Something is very wrong here. This is not sustainable.

A friend of mine discovered last year that if he wasn't working and claimed all benefits he would be intitled to he would only be £9 per week worse off. If he left his wife and kids, she would actually be better off. how does that work?

So who are the clever ones then?
    Plenty of mistakes, but no regrets. :)
  • MMCG_2MMCG_2 Forumite
    280 Posts
    Point taken Ivanopinion, but what about those of us who don't consume alcohol, smoke or have tatoos. I don't mind paying for my water, but what I do mind is subsidising those who genuinely don't deserve it, ie- those who are doing the double and earning more than me.

I'm in the situation today where I've just heard that neither mine nor my spouses job is stable after next year. So do I just sit back and take these hikes and try to get another job, or do we sit and plead poverty and ask the tax payers to hand out to us. Being on the bread line is no joke. I'm paying astronomical nursery fees each month, (not begrudged - I pay my way, ) but see the others swing in with the children and have them cared for for nothing because the state pays.

My point being that there is too much of honest tax payers money wasted. I agree that overhaul is needed in civil service and NHS From personal experience I now that education is strapped for cash, but it is the schools moreso than anywhere else. The boards wasted so much money. Money that was put into education was used to decorate board offices etc. Only a small percentage of it actually reaches the schools. The situation is going to be further dureto the debt the boards are currently in.

Have you been to a hospital recently? How many staff are wandering about aimlessly, and not in any great rush to help? I had this experience a few weeks ago too. A family member anted to return to nursing after having her family. She tried to return part time but couldn't be accomodated. Any who says the system needs nurses?

I know I'm of on a rant again but maybe if the decision makers came down from their white castles they would see that their decisions aren't always the best for contributing members of society!
    2p or not 2p? That is the question!
  • leftieMleftieM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    The main way I see public money wasted is through consultancies and those useless wasters who fall under the general heading of 'politician'. No public body seems to be able to make a decision without some consultancy having it's palm well and truly greased in the process. What is the point of having hugely paid top civil servants if they hand all major decisions to some faceless consultant who may well not have any experience or qualifications? I've seen consultants in action where I work - they ring us up to get the information they need, then produce it in a report for 10G.
    There isn't enough accountability. If someone makes a stupid decision that costs the tax payers millions they should be sacked.
    Stercus accidit
  • wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Do you think thats because everyone is paying?

I am told that the reason is that they cannot prosecute someone if they are attempting to pay. In other words all of us who have set up dd's with the bank to pay our rates or who pay up front to get the small discount are actually subsidising for a large number in our society who pay a small token amount each month claiming it's all they can afford."

I work in rates, the percentage rise is going to be closer to 20%, also we do take people to court for not paying their rates! I had over 400 people on my court list twice a month for one council area for 4 months there, regardless if they where paying a small amount. The deal is you pay the monthly installments and if you don't pay that amount, you get legal action. The only acception is wasters on benefits, can't nail them! I've worked in many civil service departments and I have to stick up for rates at least, the staff in those offices earn their money, the little it is. They are slaughtered! They'd be well to get rid of land registry, child support agency and a few others. Oh and also all the big fat cats sitting at the top drinking coffee, the civil service has always been top heavy!
  • "I had over 400 people on my court list twice a month for one council area for 4 months "

Cathy

Where are we talking ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals