banks in NI

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
18 replies 1.4K views
aidsyaidsy Forumite
70 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
iam very suprised that iam to start this.....So who do we use online banks ??? or do we all like that personal touch of the banks..

i use NI banking every time ive always had good experence ....MAYBE THATS COS ive never gone minus...

Aidsy...
Filiss

Replies

• I stopped using NI banks about 4 years ago - fed up with being ripped off with their charges. I do go over drawn tho, but getting charged *3* different charges for going over drawn a couple of quid is just taking the aherm, mick. I notice on BBC News line the other day that Which has raise the issue of extreme charges by NI banks.

I decided recently to give the Big Local 4 another go recently - making a perfectly reasonable enquiry, I was passed to 3 different branches and then told that I would have to go to an organisation outside the bank to have the query resolved. I find them arcaic (sp?) .

I have found my online bank to be fantastic and changing over to them really painless (incidently my NI bank wanted to charge me £10 for each direct debit I wanted to cancel!). Since being with them any problems I have have they have resolved and it has been done with minimum fuss of implication that I am an idiot.

I say No Way to NI Banks, they treat us like fools and we are so complacent we let them away with it by staying with them. But that is my experience.
  • I have had a mortgage with the Nationwide since 1983,
    during which time I have never missed a payment. Last year I tried to open a current account, only to be told I did'nt meet their criteria---I would have changed my mortgage immeadiately but for the fact that I hope to gain a windfall when they demutalise.
    Banks in Northern Ireland really suck--especially Ulster Bank.
  • D.A.D.A. Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Your post is very confusing. Did you try to open the current account with a local bank or the Nationwide?
  • I HAVE HAD NORTHERN IRELAND BANK ACCOUNTS FOR FORTY YEARS AND HAVE RECENTLY CHANGED TO ALLIANCE AND LEICESTER INTERNET BANK.I NOW GET 50 TIMES MORE INTEREST ON MY CURRENT ACCOUNT,FREE TRAVEL INS WORTH £80.00 PER YEAR AND THEY GAVE ME £25.00 FOR JOINING.THEY DO NOT CHARGE FOR SETTING UP DIRECT DEBITS OR CHARGE FOR CLOSING THEM.I AM SAVING A FORTUNE.I MUST HAVE BEEN MAD FOR NOT CHANGING SOONER.TROUBLE IS MOST PEOPLE LIKE ME DO NOT LIKE THE IDEA OF THE HASTLE OF CHANGING.BUT BELIEVE ME ITS WORTH IT.THE NORTHERN IRELAND BANKS DEPEND ON OUR LOYALTY AND THEY DO NOT DESERVE IT. RAM.
  • I was overdrawn for the very first time in my life this month.

According to my online banking ive just been charged £13.00 per day that i was over ... surely this is robbery?

They know my wages are going to be deposited in a couple of days.

I am niaive to these things... Can someone please advise.??

I am thinking of changing to Alliance and L as previously mentioned
  • HI NISHER_M,ALL BANKS WILL CHARGE YOU IF YOU ARE OVERDRAWN A&L INCLUDED UNLESS YOU HAVE AN AGREED OVERDRAFT FACILITY. RAM.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was overdrawn for the very first time in my life this month.

According to my online banking ive just been charged £13.00 per day that i was over ... surely this is robbery?

They know my wages are going to be deposited in a couple of days.
    Nisher
    Nowadays most transactions are carried out automatically by computers that do not take anything into account except the rules they are given (e.g. 'Are you over drawn' .... 'Yes' ... then add charges and interest) ... no emotion, no understanding of human nature....its not personal.

Don't accept these charges.  If I were you I would phone the bank and explain  that you have been with them for many years with a perfect record, that money goes in at the same time every month and that you are very disappointed that they put such a large charge against your account for such a short period of time.  A bit of a sob story coming up to christmas and Tiny Tim needed a new crutch ... you know the sort of thing.

I would be very surprised if you could not get at least 50% of any charges back ... preferably all of them.  Let us know how you got on

Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • >:(
    It makes me furious the charges the NI banks apply.

I have personal and buisness accounts and also use the internet facility. Fees are posted automatically and can be very confusing when your told it is 24 hr banking.
    When does the banking day begin???
    Recently a DD was forgotton about and the funds where low. I transfered money around 8pm on the day it was due only to find a fee already thru the account. Next day received a letter - another fee and by the end of the month another fee for going into debt. In total the fees were £42 - and I had only been short £35.
    Then the bank made a complete mess by returning the payment and next thing I know the payees are threatening to take action to get the car back..... anyhow

Go and complain about any fee and most times they will be returned in full or at least halved. NEVER just accept banking fee - always moan and give them a sob story as previous mentioned in this thread.......If you dont ask!!
  • I have never used the local banks.I used Abbey National for 14 years and more recently moved to Nationwide .I found one way to avoid the charges for going overdrawn was to have an authorised over draught . I only pay interest if I am over drawn.I dont know if the local banks charge for setting this up it may be worth a look .
  • frepolfrepol Forumite
    202 Posts
    I found one way to avoid the charges for going overdrawn was to have an authorised over draught

Problem is they clobber you with charges for using the cash machine, writing cheques etc.

In July, I had £50 in charges for using a £100 authorised overdraft!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals