Euro money transfers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
3 replies 1.4K views
CottongrassCottongrass Forumite
6 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
My girlfriend and I are looking to buy a house in Belfast, and we've been saving for a while to get a deposit together. The thing is that she works in the south and her savings are in a euro AIB account in Dublin. Is there a way of getting this money into my current account up here without paying the fees associated with a euro cheque if she were to write it out to me? (Not to mention the notoriously long clearing period for foreign currency cheques)

Replies

• Almost exactly the same Question I have, except I need to find a way to transfer from a UK (Sterling) bank account to an Irish Euro Account. The problem is I'll need to make *regular* payments to an irresponsible daughter, so making a single payment and expecting her to budget is not really an option.

The aim is to reduce bank transfer charges.

I'm prepared to consider any legal option, from buying Euros in the UK and posting them (sounds too risky) to asking a relative to open an account in Dublin and doling out the money for me. Maybe even getting an internet account, over there, and transferring to her account as and when.

Does anybody have any experience of this / bright ideas?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Thanks,

Chris
  • Read the way I do it - http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=8604448

Hope this helps, I know its saving me a fortune.

Okanem
  • kah22kah22 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I send money on a regular basis to Spain i.e. sterling to euro.

My bank the BoI will let me do that via telegraphic transfer and free of charge if.
    a. the amount is under a certain amount,
    b. I don't need the transfer done immediately-it generally takes about two/three days. and
    c. I have to have the IBAN and Swift code of the bank I'm sending the money to.

The cost normally would be £25 and that is quite a saving.

Kevin
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals