buying from private seller

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
7 replies 643 views
cottonsocks_2cottonsocks_2 Forumite
11 Posts
My daughter has seen a wedding dress on a website called the dressmarket.net. The person selling the dress says she will accept 900 pounds and won't send the dress to her until she has received payment. Fair enough I wouldn't want to part with it either before getting the money, on the other hand my daughter could send her 900 pounds and get nothing in return. The person selling the dress lives 400 miles away so can't really travel that far, checked out the train fair and it was a lot of money. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks.
:kisses2:

Replies

• frivolous_fayfrivolous_fay Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Have you checked for cheap train tickets, in advance?

Think you can book up to 3 months in advance of the trainline.

Or megatrain.com may have something?

I'd be a bit twitch about money like that in advance. Unless they will take a credit card?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • kevinyorkkevinyork Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Its a risk and I cant think of any way you could protect yourself. Paypal only cover eBay payments so you are left with a finger in the air 'do I trust this person' decision.
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the website no longer appears to be live (it's just a holding page forwarding to another site advertising yet more links), you're probably best off not sending any money ;)

Get you daughter to visit a local bridal wear shop, try on the dress, make sure it fits perfectly (or has any alterations done as necessary) and pay once she is perfectly happy and takes the item away.

That way, she won't be left panicing over whether or not she'll have anything to wear on her big day! :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Bromley86Bromley86 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    No way. If she can't afford the £2,300 locally (what a waste, but that's a different point), then she can't afford the £3,200 it'll cost to order this dress and then pick up the local one when it goes tits-up.

If you had more time then it might be worth a punt, although only if she paid directly on credit card (i.e. not PayPal, which would give her no cover).
  • WHOIS information for: dressmarket.net:

Registrant:
    Navigation Catalyst Systems, Inc
    2141 Rosecrans Ave.
    Suite 2020
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 3106471592
    Fax: 3106476001

Domain Name: DRESSMARKET.NET

I'm thinking a big scam!:eek:
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She has already tried the dress on in a shop (it fitted perfectly) and it was for sale @ 2300 pounds, hence the dilemma. Should she take a risk or not. It's a lot of money to save but on the other hand it's a lot of money to lose.
    Since when did all wedding dresses come in the same size? With something this price and special, you need to try on the actual item being purchased, not a different one in the same style. (even if it claims to be the same size)

And remember, if an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • have sorted it out now, thanks
    :kisses2:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs