How long before a PayPal payment will be rejected.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
9 replies 763 views
ArmchairTycoonArmchairTycoon Forumite
104 Posts
I recently sold something on eBay and after the sale discovered that the PayPal payment was pending, on further investigation I discovered that I had neglected to update the email address on the listing before I relisted it, the email address on the auction listing is no longer valid as I gave the domain up.

Now stupidly, I admit, I thought this will inconvenience the buyer and delay sending the item out, ever cautious of getting a bad mark for poor communication and slow delivery, I sent it out anyway, the buyer has 19 feedback all positive so I took a chance.

I emailed the buyer and explained the situation and asked if they could cancel the payment and resubmit it at the correct email address, the buyer so far after 6 days has not responded to my email or payment reminder, and the paymnt is still pending, how long before this payment will be declined by PayPal and can I make a claim for non payment?

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't bounce back to the buyer for 30 days and if the email address was a valid one it is not even posisble for them to cancel it meanwhile.

You also can't do an NPB on them even if they don't pay as they can prove they paid to the address on the auction and you declined to accept it.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Thanks Soolin for your help, now I know I can write this on off an not bother chasing it any further.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Soolin for your help, now I know I can write this on off an not bother chasing it any further.

You might find the buyer will just pay up as soon as he gets his original money back..most of us on here would and I'm sure we can't be more honest than others..can we?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you know the original payment sent by the buyer is still pending? :confused:

If the payment sent by the buyer is sitting unclaimed, the buyer can cancel the payment
    Here's how: pixel.gif
    1. Log in to your PayPal account
    2. Click the History subtab
    3. Click Cancel in the Action column of the transaction in question
    4. Click Cancel Payment
    5. You have successfully cancelled the payment

else it will bounce back after 30 days
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier as I explained in my first post I had relisted an item and after the auction finished I discovered that I had not changed the paypal payment email address from my old one, which used a domain I no longer have registered.

The payment does not show in my paypal account, only the buyer has any control over the transaction.

Payment shows as pending in my eBay account.
    15.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Premier as I explained in my first post I had relisted an item and after the auction finished I discovered that I had not changed the paypal payment email address from my old one, which used a domain I no longer have registered.

The payment does not show in my paypal account, only the buyer has any control over the transaction.

Payment shows as pending in my eBay account.
    Ah, by payment pending, you mean the buyer hasn't paid you (because of your error in the email address), rather than the payment hasn't been made at all - I understand that now, thanks.

I understand the buyer is in control - the instructions above are for the buyer. Perhaps the buyer is unaware of how to do this, hence why I posted the details. If the buyer is saying he won't send the money again until he gets the money back that was already sent to the address given to him when he won the item, him following the above instructions will mean he can get his money returned sooner than the 30 days he'll otherwise have to wait.

If you make a claim for non-payment, can't/won't the buyer simply defend that by posting the paypal transaction id proving he has sent the money to the address as provided by paypal? I think you need to work with the buyer on this issue, rather than against him, as it was your initial error that is now causing you the problem. :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • I emailed the buyer explaining and apologising for my error and asked them to cancel the payment and resubmit payment to the correct email address, I was fully aware the seller might be skeptical about my intentions and I didn't want to inconvenience them by delaying posting the items, I thought that once they had received the item they might have realised I wasn't trying to con them in any way.

A few days later I also sent them a payment reminder, to date they have not responded or taken any action, but they will no doubt have received the item, I can't work with someone to find a solution when they are uncommunicative.

If I hear nothing from them at the end of thirty days I will put them on my block list, it will be their loss, the item in question is something that no one else on eBay sells, once someone starts buying from me they come back for more, they simply cannot get them anywhere else for the price I charge.

Incidentally Premier you really should take the time to read my first post, it would have saved you raking over ground already covered, I never disputed that it was my error that caused the problem, but it appears the buyer is taking unfair advantage of this.
    15.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...talking of adding people to a blocked list :rolleyes:

I did bother to take the time to read your first post!

It said the buyer had sent the money to the wrong address because of an error by you. Despite requesting they re-send it you acknowledged it would be an inconvienience, and so presumably you realise they won't resend the money again until they get the original money sent back.

I took the trouble to clarify how the buyer could retrieve the money now.

You wanted to know how long it would take for the money to automatically revert to the buyer.

I took the trouble of advising you it would be 30 days (as also stated by soolin earlier)

You enquired as to the time you could raise a claim for this unpaid item.

I took the trouble to advise you it may not be as simple as that as the buyer has already paid.

...I wish I hadn't bothered now. :mad:
  • You shouldn't have bothered, Soolin answered the question, your input didn't generate any new information.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals