New consumer advocate ... sounds like all puff, no pastry to me blog discussion

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Does this mean if they asked you ,you'd say no then? It'll be interesting to see if they do ask you at all.
    I'm guessing you'd say no from your blog as it sounds like you'd spend more time talking to more people that won't listen and getting frustrated. You'd also probably be a lot more use to a lot more people being independent and saying what you think (which you seemto do now) rather than being restricted.
    It'd be interesting to hear your views.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Frankly, what we really need is some bloody government response on the issues. As you can probably tell, I read this announcement with a huge level of frustration that instead of solving the problems head on, this seems to be a policy focused on looking like something’s being done, rather than actually doing it.
    All governments do that and the one we have at the moment is very well practised at it (and spinning to make itself look good).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Gold_Man
    Gold_Man Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You mention no comment from Gordon Brown. I think these people see making statements about consumers being screwed with charges as being "nice" in a cut throat business environment. A sort of "if you can't take the heat in the kitchen then get out" attitude. That may be true to some extent when businesses don't have time to "hand hold" people when they have already published clear help and advice. But the situation has gone beyond these kind of issues. Now we are talking about unsustainable business practices that follow a top dollar, profit only approach that actually ends up destroying businesses and the economy. How long will it be until banks see the damage they are dong to themselves ? How long will it be until it is seen that the economy is part of the life of a country and society and not some kind of simplistic profit motive alone ?
  • Mercenary
    Mercenary Posts: 627 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It would probably be just another Government job scheme for the Civil Servants to form committees and suchlike, so that they can get paid to discuss what they should be doing, but never actually getting anything done.

The scene would be exactly like the People's Front of Judea from the film 'The Life of Brian' :rolleyes: All talk and no action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure