Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > British Gas Essentials Tariff - advice please rea... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
British Gas Essentials Tariff - advice please really worried
Closed Thread
Views: 5,697
# 1
gregrichards
Old 25-06-2008, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy British Gas Essentials Tariff - advice please really worried

Hi everyone

I'm really worried like a lot of people about the price of my gas and electricity. I have been on British Gas Click Energy 5 but have just found out about the Essentials Tariff.

I am 24 and in receipt of DLA, IB & IS because I genuinely cannot work as I've been left registered disabled with permanent nerve damage after two negligent discectomy operations and just wondered if the tariff is a lot cheaper and how anybody else found it.

Just now I'm only putting the central heating on for warm water and use the bare minimum of electricity, the thought of a 50% rise is really worrying me.

Any advice or information would be grately appreciated.
# 2
SwanJon
Old 25-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Pricewise Essentials is the same as the standard DD tariff, so Click is cheaper. You can register for their Priority Services Register (EnergyCare) and see what else they can do to help you out.

You shouldn't need your central heating on for your hot water - have you had the system checked recently?

Last edited by SwanJon; 25-06-2008 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwanJon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
shammyjack
Old 26-06-2008, 10:09 AM

Wink

Have look at a previous post I made regarding Southern Electrics careline tarrif.

You must spend 10% of your income on gas and electric to qualify .

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...thern+electric

shammy
The Following User Says Thank You to shammyjack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
monoxideuk
Old 26-06-2008, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Ive been tryin to find out info about the bg essentials tariff, but as of yet not found anything, Even tried to call bg to find out the tariff info and after beeing in a que for 40 mins to get through and put on hold for 20 mins to be told that i need to ring back when there systems come up,

So if anyone could link the tariff info plus discount etc and how the tariff works it would be greatly appricated
The Following User Says Thank You to monoxideuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
gregrichards
Old 26-06-2008, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanJon View Post
Pricewise Essentials is the same as the standard DD tariff, so Click is cheaper. You can register for their Priority Services Register (EnergyCare) and see what else they can do to help you out.

You shouldn't need your central heating on for your hot water - have you had the system checked recently?
Thanks, I havent been able to work out what tariff is cheaper yet. I have central heating but I can put the HW on seperately from the CH. My CH is off all the time just now, so I'm just puting the HW on an hour a day for my hot water all day.

Hopefully my bills will be cheap till September.
# 6
gregrichards
Old 26-06-2008, 11:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxideuk View Post
Ive been tryin to find out info about the bg essentials tariff, but as of yet not found anything, Even tried to call bg to find out the tariff info and after beeing in a que for 40 mins to get through and put on hold for 20 mins to be told that i need to ring back when there systems come up,

So if anyone could link the tariff info plus discount etc and how the tariff works it would be greatly appricated
Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll be prepared for this when I contact them.

Its so confusing, but I will definately be checking out Ebico sounds like the answer to my prayers. Hopefully its not too good to be true, the tariffs are cheap.
# 7
makfai
Old 30-07-2008, 12:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

One thing to note about British Gas Essentials Tariff is that (certainly for pre-payment meters) it takes SIX WEEKS to change to it. There is no work needed on the pre-payment meters it is done electronically at their offices. Why 6 weeks? No idea!
# 8
makfai
Old 30-07-2008, 12:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This is worth reading
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Pages/MoreIn...Media/PressRel
SOCIAL TARIFFS MUST EQUAL SUPPLIERS’ CHEAPEST DEALS
# 9
jenhug
Old 30-07-2008, 9:12 PM

hello there, i have recently signed up for this tariff myself. the BG team told me the rates are as follows
Gas 10.4% cheaper than their standard tariff
Elec 4.8% " "

the number to call is 0845 850 2207 that will take you straight through to the essentials tariff team.
# 10
wornoutmumoftwo
Old 30-07-2008, 9:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am on BG essentials for electric (all electric house on Economy 7/white meter)

My day time rate is 14p
My night rate is 5p

Exactely the same price as their standard tarif if I paid via dd (I'm on a PPM).

If you are phoning BG then check out saynoto0870.com and get the landline number as it will save on the old phone bill

This is the page leading to the prices for both gas and electric; toohttp://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...es-glance.html

Edited to say: prices above were before today's price increase
Payment a day challenge: £236.69
Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
# 11
jenhug
Old 30-07-2008, 9:29 PM

If you are in receipt of:
Child Tax Credit and salary is below £14,600
Working Tax Credit and salary lower than £14,600
Disability Living Allowance
Pension Credit
Attendance Allowance
War Disablement Pension
Disablement Pension
Child Tax Benefit
Income Support
Income Based Job Seeker Allowance
Carers Allowance
Severe Disablement Allowance
then you can apply for essentials
# 12
kjsmith7
Old 31-07-2008, 12:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's well worth switching now to the Essentials tariff if you can as the prices are fixed until April 2009. Therefore, you would now be paying LESS than when the prices went up. Click Energy 5 is likely to go up any time soon (probably after the other big suppliers have finished hiking THEIR prices up).
# 13
penypincher
Old 31-07-2008, 7:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsmith7 View Post
It's well worth switching now to the Essentials tariff if you can as the prices are fixed until April 2009. Therefore, you would now be paying LESS than when the prices went up. Click Energy 5 is likely to go up any time soon (probably after the other big suppliers have finished hiking THEIR prices up).

when i spoke with BG they said the Essentials Tariff rose when the prices did, so i would be better off capping as a 35% price rise would mean the capped rate was less expensive than the Essentials Tarrif (10% less than least expensive).

can anyone help? Is the Essentials Tarrif capped until april 2009?
# 14
Pete268
Old 31-07-2008, 8:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

I have been on the Essential Tariff for a year or so now (well, since they stopped the winter rebates anyway). I qualify because of my War Disablement Pension.

Basically it is the same price as their monthly Direct Debit tariff regardless of how you pay for your gas (ie Pre Payment, quarterly billing etc - everyone on Essentials pays the same as if on the monthly DD plan).

Pete

Last edited by Pete268; 31-07-2008 at 8:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete268 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
chrism_scotland
Old 31-07-2008, 9:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornoutmumoftwo View Post
I am on BG essentials for electric (all electric house on Economy 7/white meter)

My day time rate is 14p
My night rate is 5p

Exactely the same price as their standard tarif if I paid via dd (I'm on a PPM).

If you are phoning BG then check out saynoto0870.com and get the landline number as it will save on the old phone bill

This is the page leading to the prices for both gas and electric; toohttp://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...es-glance.html

Edited to say: prices above were before today's price increase
British Gas has actually launched freephone numbers as of yesterday which should be on all bills/letters over the next few weeks which will save calling 0845 numbers,
The Following User Says Thank You to chrism_scotland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
chrism_scotland
Old 31-07-2008, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete268 View Post
Hi,

I have been on the Essential Tariff for a year or so now (well, since they stopped the winter rebates anyway). I qualify because of my War Disablement Pension.

Basically it is the same price as their monthly Direct Debit tariff regardless of how you pay for your gas (ie Pre Payment, quarterly billing etc - everyone on Essentials pays the same as if on the monthly DD plan).

Pete
Yes, it used to be done as a rebate on PP meters but now there are new tariffs that are applied to KBD Key meters or Gas PP meters that charge the Essentials tariff everyday rather than a rebate payment each quarter.
On billing meters it has always been a seperate tariff.
# 17
Kevin Blackstone
Old 31-07-2008, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi there this is my first post but just had to reply to let everyone know what i have just found out.

Just got off the phone from British Gas and the gentlemen on the the phone confirmed that PRICE INCREASES WILL NOT AFFECTED PEPOLE WHO ARE ON THE ESSENTIALS TARRIFF AND RATES ARE FIXED TILL 2009. however will affect other tarrifs unless of course the rate is fixed on that tarrif.
# 18
elektra
Old 31-07-2008, 2:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Gas price
For standard Gas registers, 4.192 pence per kilowatt for the first 12.526 kilowatts used a day, and 2.314 pence per kilowatt for the rest. Excluding VAT
# 19
john539
Old 04-08-2008, 1:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete268 View Post
I don't understand this.

As far as I can tell Britsh Gas payment by Direct Debit & Cash rates are the same:

BG Gas Rates
http://www.britishgas.co.uk/pdf/Stan...s%20prices.pdf

You don't get a lower rate when paying by DD, probably after outcry while back when people said they were being penalised for paying by cash on time.

Last edited by john539; 04-08-2008 at 1:06 PM.
# 20
TotallyBroke
Old 04-08-2008, 1:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You don't get a lower rate when paying by dd. You pay the same for the kilowatt but you do get a discount off the total bill when paying a monthly amount for a quarterly bill.
Closed Thread