Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    • 4,824Posts
    • 4,162Thanks
    CHR15
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??
    • 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension?? 25th Jun 08 at 3:15 PM
    A few years ago I helped out the FIL who was a Veteran of the RN.

He had left the RN in 1978 but didn't realise that when he reached 60yrs old he was entitled to claim a Forces Pension. They won't come looking for you, if you don't claim it, you won't get it.

He is no speedy bullet, but isn't without his faculties either. If he didn't realise, there must be others out there who are unaware of their entitlement too.

I doubt there are too many people reading this but if you have a relative who served in the forces after 1975 and he is 60yrs old he/she is entitled claim a pension

Have you served in the military since 1975?
    It is possible that you have earned a preserved pension payable at age 60 for AFPS 75 or 65 if in AFPS 05. Read the following to see if you qualify and follow the links for the application forms if you do.

Pensions

There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05.
    1. AFPS 75 pension benefits are based on rank and length of Service. All personnel serving between 6 April 1975 and 6 April 2005 will have served under the AFPS 75 scheme.
    2. AFPS 05 pension benefits are based on length of Service and final salary and personnel who joined after 6 April 2005 will be serving under the AFPS 05 scheme. However, personnel serving between July 2005 and March 2006 were given the option to move to the AFPS 05 as part of the Offer to Transfer process.
    There are some fundamental differences between the schemes that cover both retired benefits and dependents benefits. To find out what benefits personnel are entitled to, click on the link below and download the booklets that are applicable to the AFPS that you/your spouse are/were serving under.

Service Preserved Pensions

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 (or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006). However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

Contact

Service pensions are administered by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA). Pension payments are made by Xafinity Paymaster (1836) Ltd, the paying authority for the Armed Forces pension Schemes (AFPS).
    Contact Details:
    JPAC Enquiry Centre,
    Mail Point 403,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    GLASGOW,
    G2 8EX

Freephone 0800 085 3600
    email: JPAC@spva.mod.uk
    Last edited by CHR15; 26-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Page 5
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 2,520 Thanks
    unforeseen
    APFS75

Served 74 - 05
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 20th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    APFS75

Served 74 - 05
    Mr S and I left in 2000, so before the introduction of LOS30. I can only only guess that your pre-18 service was included as part of those changes.

I won't tell Mr S - he still says that he did 'a year for the Queen'!
    • Tedlooney
    • By Tedlooney 21st Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tedlooney
    Well done Ted ! Sadly, there are a lot of ex forces (and their widows) out there who have missed out on a pension because they believed the 'barrack room lawyers'.

I've personally come across 2 x ex Forces bods who whined that 'it's ok for you - you did your 22'. On further investigation, it turned out that both had done 12 years and mistakenly thought that the lump sum (resettlement grant) they received on leaving was in lieu of all pension rights. It wasn't - they still had 12 years worth of preserved pension benefits to claim.

Please let us know how you get on - it's nice to have some goods news for a change!
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    I thought I wasn't entitled a to a pension because when I joined in 1976 I wouldn't have qualified due to being under 26 when my contract was set to end. It was only when I looked at this thread that I found out that the age 26 rule had been dropped in 1978. No-one informed me of the rule change at the time and I don't recall anyone ever discussing it even amongst my colleagues, so it was a pleasant surprise when I checked out the information on here. Like I said, I don't think I'll get much but as I wasn't expecting anything it's a bonus!

When I phoned Veterans UK the person I spoke to was very helpful. I asked how much I would get but she said by the time they'd worked it out I'd be receiving the pension straight after as my birthday is imminent, she added that most people applied for their pension three months before. I explained that I had just found this thread and had believed that I wasn't entitled to anything previously. The lady said that Veterans UK realised that this was a problem for many ex-service people and that they planned to make an effort to make people aware of their entitlement. I very much hope that they work out a plan to make it happen.
    Last edited by Tedlooney; 21-10-2017 at 5:43 PM.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 21st Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    6 years Ted? If so, I think you'll be in for a nice surprise.

I do hope that Veterans UK do something about this - as I said before, there are a lot of ex forces (and their widows) out there who are due benefits but don't realise it.
    • Tedlooney
    • By Tedlooney 22nd Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tedlooney
    Yes Silvertab, it was six years. I tried looking for information to do a calculation but failed miserably :-( a nice surprise sounds encouraging though :-)

I echo your comments about those due benefits, I'm a bit annoyed that the government haven't done more to help people claim what's theirs. I feel lucky to have found this thread but there will be many who will continue to believe that they are not due anything. The lady at Veterans UK seemed positive that something will happen, let's hope so.
    • Tedlooney
    • By Tedlooney 5th Dec 17, 10:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tedlooney
    Silvertabby you were correct, I got a nice surprise indeed. I was really lucky to find this thread an I really hope others are made aware of their entitlement.
    • LeglessLiam
    • By LeglessLiam 6th Dec 17, 8:29 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    LeglessLiam
    Just so folks here are aware, the following is from a briefing I was present at a short while ago:

Veterans UK (formerly the Service Personnel & Veterans Agency) estimate there are some 26,000 unclaimed Preserved Pensions under the various Armed Forces Pension Schemes (mostly AFPS75) for people who have passed state pension age but not claimed their preserved pension.

Obviously, some of those who haven’t claimed may sadly be deceased, or have no known address or contact details.

Equiniti Paymaster have carried out a tracing exercise to try to locate some of these and Veterans UK have started to send letters and application forms, starting with those members whose address details are most up to date. This has resulted in some 2,600 ‘new’ Preserved Pensions being put into payment.

However if you know someone who maybe entitled to a Preserved Pension and has not yet claimed it, please ask them to contact Veterans UK via any of the following means:

Veterans UK helpline – 0808 1914 218

Veterans UK
    Ministry of Defence
    Norcross
    Thornton Cleveleys
    FY5 3WP

Email veterans-uk@mod.uk

Freephone (UK only): 0808 1914 2 18

Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043

Liam
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Silvertabby you were correct, I got a nice surprise indeed. I was really lucky to find this thread an I really hope others are made aware of their entitlement. Posted by Tedlooney
    Well done Ted - have a lovely Christmas!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Just so folks here are aware, the following is from a briefing I was present at a short while ago:

Veterans UK (formerly the Service Personnel & Veterans Agency) estimate there are some 26,000 unclaimed Preserved Pensions under the various Armed Forces Pension Schemes (mostly AFPS75) for people who have passed state pension age but not claimed their preserved pension.

Obviously, some of those who haven’t claimed may sadly be deceased, or have no known address or contact details.

Equiniti Paymaster have carried out a tracing exercise to try to locate some of these and Veterans UK have started to send letters and application forms, starting with those members whose address details are most up to date. This has resulted in some 2,600 ‘new’ Preserved Pensions being put into payment.

However if you know someone who maybe entitled to a Preserved Pension and has not yet claimed it, please ask them to contact Veterans UK via any of the following means:

Veterans UK helpline – 0808 1914 218

Veterans UK
    Ministry of Defence
    Norcross
    Thornton Cleveleys
    FY5 3WP

Email veterans-uk@mod.uk

Freephone (UK only): 0808 1914 2 18

Telephone (overseas): +44 1253 866 043

Posted by LeglessLiam
    Thanks Liam - this is long overdue.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin