Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    • 4,821Posts
    • 4,161Thanks
    CHR15
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??
    • 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension?? 25th Jun 08 at 3:15 PM
    A few years ago I helped out the FIL who was a Veteran of the RN.

He had left the RN in 1978 but didn't realise that when he reached 60yrs old he was entitled to claim a Forces Pension. They won't come looking for you, if you don't claim it, you won't get it.

He is no speedy bullet, but isn't without his faculties either. If he didn't realise, there must be others out there who are unaware of their entitlement too.

I doubt there are too many people reading this but if you have a relative who served in the forces after 1975 and he is 60yrs old he/she is entitled claim a pension

Have you served in the military since 1975?
    It is possible that you have earned a preserved pension payable at age 60 for AFPS 75 or 65 if in AFPS 05. Read the following to see if you qualify and follow the links for the application forms if you do.

Pensions

There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05.
    1. AFPS 75 pension benefits are based on rank and length of Service. All personnel serving between 6 April 1975 and 6 April 2005 will have served under the AFPS 75 scheme.
    2. AFPS 05 pension benefits are based on length of Service and final salary and personnel who joined after 6 April 2005 will be serving under the AFPS 05 scheme. However, personnel serving between July 2005 and March 2006 were given the option to move to the AFPS 05 as part of the Offer to Transfer process.
    There are some fundamental differences between the schemes that cover both retired benefits and dependents benefits. To find out what benefits personnel are entitled to, click on the link below and download the booklets that are applicable to the AFPS that you/your spouse are/were serving under.

Service Preserved Pensions

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 (or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006). However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

Contact

Service pensions are administered by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA). Pension payments are made by Xafinity Paymaster (1836) Ltd, the paying authority for the Armed Forces pension Schemes (AFPS).
    Contact Details:
    JPAC Enquiry Centre,
    Mail Point 403,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    GLASGOW,
    G2 8EX

Freephone 0800 085 3600
    email: JPAC@spva.mod.uk
    Last edited by CHR15; 26-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Page 4
    • molerat
    • By molerat 18th Aug 16, 5:31 PM
    • 17,098 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    molerat
    I joined the army aged 17yrs in 1976,I was in for 4yrs and left after my 3yr service was up.I enquirer last year to see when I would get my pension and was told I wasn't entitled to one.I don't understand why not as according to the literature I've read I should be.Could anybody shed any light on this for me,thanks neil
    Originally posted by Neilvoellner
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60.
    So your service was 1976 - 79, 3 years. The requirement to receive a deferred pension at that time was 5 years adult service.
    Last edited by molerat; 18-08-2016 at 5:37 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Tafflad
    • By Tafflad 13th Sep 16, 7:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tafflad
    Hi there
    This all seems a bit over my head at this stage.
    I have read and re-read the thread but was hoping someone could help me calculate what (if anything) I'm entitled to.
    I joined the Army in 1973 and served until 1986.
    I reached the dizzy heights of full corporal.
    I am now 60 years of age.

Hoping someone could help me with this..?

Many thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,,
    Steve.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    • 17,098 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    molerat
    This all seems a bit over my head at this stage.
    I have read and re-read the thread but was hoping someone could help me calculate what (if anything) I'm entitled to.
    I joined the Army in 1973 and served until 1986.
    I reached the dizzy heights of full corporal.
    I am now 60 years of age.

Hoping someone could help me with this..?

Many thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,,
    Steve.
    Originally posted by Tafflad
    You left pre 1988 so 5 years service needed to get a pension, you served around 12 (adult) - box ticked.

So contact :

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

0800 085 3600

to claim your pension.
    Last edited by molerat; 13-09-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    • butler54
    • By butler54 27th Apr 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    butler54
    Afps75
    I have just applied for my army pension again, the first time I enquired was 41/2 years ago I was told then that I had opted out of the system. I later found out that this was untrue,
    This time I went to see my local MP for help and he wrote to the minister of defence on my behalf. I have just received a reply stating the reason I was refused is due to me not being 26 years old when I left the forces.
    When I was carrying out my duties for queen and country in the bomb disposal etc. I can not recall being told by the ministry of defence not to do that job because your not over 26. So you can serve and die for your country but you can't get a pension.
    Is it worth it?
    Is there anybody out there with the same experience because I personally think that the ministry of defence should be ashamed of themselves in the way they treat some of the veterans that are penalised because of their age.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 27th Apr 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    “ Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60.
    You must have left between 6 April 1975 and 30 March 1978 to have missed out on a pension by being under 26. There are other people out there in a similar situation, and there have been numerous protest groups set up. Sadly, none have been successful.
    • griffster2
    • By griffster2 28th May 17, 3:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    griffster2
    army pension
    hi everyone, i am new and only this last 10 mins joined the forum. its when i spotted old boys pension!!!. my husband enlisted the royal engineers in 1964.he was dischared in 1985. he had a total service of 21years and 112days. also they was reserve in that. i have this information from his RED BOOK he will be 70 on the 16 dec this year, so could someone kindly give me some idea if he qualifys for this pension? many thanks. lynn
    • molerat
    • By molerat 28th May 17, 4:30 PM
    • 17,098 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    molerat
    If he did regular full time service after April 1975 completing in excess of 5 years adult service then he should have been entitled to a preserved pension from age 60. It is only the full time service that counts, reserve generally does not, so when was his discharge from the regulars ?

Veterans UK will have all the records.

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

0800 085 3600
    Last edited by molerat; 28-05-2017 at 4:43 PM.
    • griffster2
    • By griffster2 28th May 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    griffster2
    pension
    hi many thanks for your reply. he signed up in 1964 and discharged from the regulars in 1974 as a corperal, so in his red book it says army service 10 years 112 days and reserve service 11 years. thanks. lynn
    • molerat
    • By molerat 28th May 17, 5:33 PM
    • 17,098 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    molerat
    Then I doubt he is entitled to any pension as, before April 1975, 22 years service was required to get a pension. There may be some hope if his reserve service was mobilised but I doubt that likely in the 70s. You could contact Veterans UK for a definite answer.
    Last edited by molerat; 28-05-2017 at 7:57 PM.
    • griffster2
    • By griffster2 28th May 17, 8:57 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    griffster2
    pension
    h
    thanks for that. i am going to ring up after the bank holiday. they can either say yes or no!!.lynn
    • David Howieson
    • By David Howieson 10th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    David Howieson
    Pension

Do I have a claim? I enlisted in the Army May 75, 3 months before my 18th birthday (7/8/75) and served until 6/8/81 the day before my 24th birthday. As I'm approaching 60 this year thought I'd best look into this. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Jul 17, 2:53 PM
    • 17,098 Posts
    • 11,250 Thanks
    molerat
    Pension

Do I have a claim? I enlisted in the Army May 75, 3 months before my 18th birthday (7/8/75) and served until 6/8/81 the day before my 24th birthday. As I'm approaching 60 this year thought I'd best look into this. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Originally posted by David Howieson
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service.
    On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped
    and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60.
    You served more than 5 years adult service leaving after the March 1978 changes so according to the AFPS timeline you are be due a pension.

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

0800 085 3600
    Last edited by molerat; 10-07-2017 at 2:59 PM.
    • David Howieson
    • By David Howieson 10th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    David Howieson
    Thanks for your reply will contact Veterans UK and take it from there... Nothing ventured.. Nothing gained..

Thanks again
    • fedupwith everything
    • By fedupwith everything 15th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fedupwith everything
    LOL. I joined JLR in 1977 and left the Army after a PVR due to being accused of several things I didn't do including arson! I was told the whole way through you had to serve 12 years to get any pension. However last year I looked at this in depth and discovered I had been misinformed. However in a somewhat ironic turn of events I was 6 months short of receiving anything. When I questioned the junior service I was told that it was counted as "further education" and did not count towards the pension.

Certainly worth asking though as it appears many of us had been misinformed. The people in Glasgow very helpful I must say.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 15th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I was told the whole way through you had to serve 12 years to get any pension
    Never heard that one before - although 12 years is the minimum for the one-off resettlement grant. However, I've come across more than one ex service bod who thought that their 12 year grant was in lieu of a pension!

Under AFPS75 only service from age 18 counts as pensionable service.
    • Luke Layton
    • By Luke Layton 8th Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luke Layton
    'The 1973 Act brought about changes by requiring all pension schemes to preserve pension rights for those who left service after 6 April 1975 and had completed at least five years' qualifying service and attained the age of 26. Subsequent Social Security Acts reduced the qualifying period from five years to two years and removed the age qualification requirement. The armed forces pension scheme incorporated those changes from the operative date of 6 April 1975.' Adam Ingram Minister of State (Armed Forces), Ministry of Defence 2007. Came across this parliamentary debate whilst looking for further information. It would appear the changes are retrospective to 6 April 1975. Hope this helps.
    • Tedlooney
    • By Tedlooney 19th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tedlooney
    Thanks!
    Thanks very much for creating this thread. I was always told during my service that I didn't qualify for a forces pension. I came across this thread last night which indicated that I did qualify so I contacted Veterans UK today and they confirmed that I am entitled. I guess it won't be much but every little helps So, thanks again!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Oct 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Thanks very much for creating this thread. I was always told during my service that I didn't qualify for a forces pension. I came across this thread last night which indicated that I did qualify so I contacted Veterans UK today and they confirmed that I am entitled. I guess it won't be much but every little helps So, thanks again! Posted by Tedlooney
    Well done Ted ! Sadly, there are a lot of ex forces (and their widows) out there who have missed out on a pension because they believed the 'barrack room lawyers'.

I've personally come across 2 x ex Forces bods who whined that 'it's ok for you - you did your 22'. On further investigation, it turned out that both had done 12 years and mistakenly thought that the lump sum (resettlement grant) they received on leaving was in lieu of all pension rights. It wasn't - they still had 12 years worth of preserved pension benefits to claim.

Please let us know how you get on - it's nice to have some goods news for a change!
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 19-10-2017 at 6:28 PM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th Oct 17, 7:52 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Never heard that one before - although 12 years is the minimum for the one-off resettlement grant. However, I've come across more than one ex service bod who thought that their 12 year grant was in lieu of a pension!

Under AFPS75 only service from age 18 counts as pensionable service.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    I thought that but when they calculated mine it was from 17. I was RAF and on LOS30 so service was counted as 30 years from 18, with my retirement the day before my 48th birthday. However my pension was calculated as 31 years. I joined at 16 3/4.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 19th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 1,669 Posts
    • 2,006 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I thought that but when they calculated mine it was from 17. I was RAF and on LOS30 so service was counted as 30 years from 18, with my retirement the day before my 48th birthday. However my pension was calculated as 31 years. I joined at 16 3/4. Posted by unforeseen
    Did you retire under AFPS05? That counts pre age 18 service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,931Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin