Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Email address for Job Centre Plus complaints Depa... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Email address for Job Centre Plus complaints Department please.
Closed Thread
Views: 42,163
# 1
cazziej
Old 24-06-2008, 5:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Email address for Job Centre Plus complaints Department please.

Hi

Does anybody happen to have the email address for the complaints department at Job Centre Plus/DWP please?

I have googled until I am blue in the face but keep ending up at the same place, without an email address!!

I want to complain on my daughters behalf with regard to the way she has been treated/spoken to during the whole process of trying to claim benefit. It seems to me that because she is only 19, she is being treated as if she is an imbecile and made to go round in circles, getting nowhere fast.:confused: .

Thank god she has only had cause to have dealings with this service for the past 6 weeks or so, and thank god even more that she has a job to start in 3 weeks, I don't think we could have coped with any more condescending people, acting as if they were giving her their own money out of their own pocket. I appreciate that there must be many nice and decent people working for the service, but unfortunately, over the past 2 weeks we have both spoken to around 5 different people, and out of these 5, I can honestly say only 1 gentleman managed to speak in a civil manner and tried to help her. I understand that all these calls are recorded; I sincerely hope the one where my daughter, when enquiring as to when she was likely to receive any money was asked "well what do you expect me to do about it??", still exists.

I can feel my blood starting to boil again, so will leave my rant for now.

Thanks, Carol.

Last edited by cazziej; 24-06-2008 at 6:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cazziej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
chickmug
Old 24-06-2008, 5:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sorry I can't help with an email address but why not record them when you call and then why not go and see your MP so you can play the calls to him/her?

Good luck though!
The Following User Says Thank You to chickmug For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
barnabee
Old 24-06-2008, 6:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There is a formal complaints procedure. The details are listed here, giving several options. You can also download the leaflet here.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to barnabee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cazziej
Old 24-06-2008, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks Chickmug and Barnabee for your help.

Best wishes

Carol
# 5
glossgal
Old 24-06-2008, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

complaining on behalf of your adult daughter is quite condescending in itself isn't it? Apologies if she has special needs or a disability but if not she should be making her own complaints!

I agree that standards at DWP have slipped and can well believe you got shoddy service. BUT i also know from experience that people can be unreasonable where benefits are concerned. I'm not trying to be arguementative here but if your daughter caused someone to actually say "what do you expect me to do about it" then I'm inclined to think she wasn't being sweetness and light herself?

Anyway, i would write to the contact centre for local area and address it to the dept team leader of whatever benefit she was claiming.
"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself" -Oscar Wilde
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to glossgal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
alison999
Old 24-06-2008, 9:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossgal View Post
complaining on behalf of your adult daughter is quite condescending in itself isn't it? Apologies if she has special needs or a disability but if not she should be making her own complaints!

I agree that standards at DWP have slipped and can well believe you got shoddy service. BUT i also know from experience that people can be unreasonable where benefits are concerned. I'm not trying to be arguementative here but if your daughter caused someone to actually say "what do you expect me to do about it" then I'm inclined to think she wasn't being sweetness and light herself?

Anyway, i would write to the contact centre for local area and address it to the dept team leader of whatever benefit she was claiming.
i agree. i think they will have a lot more respect for her if she complains herself. shes a adult and needs to be treated as such. you can still help her though, it doesnt mean she has to go it alone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alison999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
cazziej
Old 24-06-2008, 10:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Alison999 and Glossgal - this is what I love about this site, you come on and ask for information (departing a little information regarding the problem on the way) and it becomes a free for all for people wanting to have a little dig and telling you what you should and shouldn't do, how you should behave etc.

If I want to make a complaint and my daughter is happy for me to do so - which she is - so be it, I was not asking for permission from anybody on here, merely an email address!!

She does not have special needs. However, she is not quite as vocal as me and obviously does not have as much life experience; when I was her age I would not have felt able to make a complaint to anybody seen to be "in authority". As my daughter commented, she is lucky that she has me to help her try and sort things out and to guide her. If she had been alone in this matter, after all the trouble she has had, she would have given up. I suspect that there are many teenagers out there without support who find it difficult in similar situations.

I appreciate you are not trying to be argumentative, but with regard to my daughter perhaps saying something to "cause" somebody to say "what do you expect me to do about it", I would expect somebody working in such a department to behave and speak in a professional manner, and this response was given to my daughter when informing them that she had not had any money for in excess of 3 weeks!

I am under no illusion that my daughter is all sweetness and light - far from it at times, typical to most teenage girls, but I was in the room when she had the conversation and at all times she was polite, I would not expect anything less of her. In any case, if the recording of the conversation still exists, this will be proved.

Glossgal, if I were to complain on my daughters behalf without informing her and obtaining her consent, then I agree, this would be condescending and I would never presume to do this, but as I have her full agreement, I fail to see that this can be condescending.

Thanks anyway for your replies.

Carol
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cazziej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
alison999
Old 24-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazziej View Post
Alison999 and Glossgal - this is what I love about this site, you come on and ask for information (departing a little information regarding the problem on the way) and it becomes a free for all for people wanting to have a little dig and telling you what you should and shouldn't do, how you should behave etc.
i wasnt saying how you should/shouldn't behave. but i know at my work, a complaint would be taken more seriously if it came direct from the person involved. we were only trying to help, despite what you may think. just b/c you dont like the answers doesn't mean that we are having a dig.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alison999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
cazziej
Old 24-06-2008, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison999 View Post
i wasnt saying how you should/shouldn't behave. but i know at my work, a complaint would be taken more seriously if it came direct from the person involved. we were only trying to help, despite what you may think. just b/c you dont like the answers doesn't mean that we are having a dig.
Alison, as far as I am concerned, if a complaint is valid, and is made with the complainants consent, it SHOULD be taken seriously. Do you pick and choose the different levels of "seriousness" with which to treat a complaint?

And it is not that I don't like the answers, it is just that they were answers to questions I didn't ask!! :confused:

I DID ask for a email address, and I was given good advice and information, I liked these answers very much and was very grateful!!

Anyway, goodnight.

Carol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cazziej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
alison999
Old 24-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazziej View Post
Alison, as far as I am concerned, if a complaint is valid, and is made with the complainants consent, it SHOULD be taken seriously. Do you pick and choose the different levels of "seriousness" with which to treat a complaint?

And it is not that I don't like the answers, it is just that they were answers to questions I didn't ask!! :confused:

I DID ask for a email address, and I was given good advice and information, I liked these answers very much and was very grateful!!

Anyway, goodnight.

Carol
That might be the only question you asked but you posted much more than that, and i think it would be quite naive to expect other posters not to comment on that. also, i dont deal with complaints where i work (thank god!) but she is 19 and a adult. i dont see the problem with you writing the letter and her signing it etc. I think its good that youre supporting your daughter, but guiding her is one thin, it doesnt mean you have to do it for her. but there i go again, telling you how to behave tut tut :confused:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alison999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
dmg24
Old 25-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The DWP will not speak with you about your daughter's claim without her express permission.

I agree with the other posters, your daughter is old enough to vote, have a family, have a mortgage. Would you be complaining on her behalf if she had a problem with one of them?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Oldernotwiser
Old 25-06-2008, 8:54 AM
PPR

From the information in your first post I would say that your daughter would have a reason to complain at the fact that JCP staff have discussed her case with her mother. As with banking, these dealings should be confidential.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
cazziej
Old 25-06-2008, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I thought I had made it clear, but obviously not to the last few posters, I was speaking to the JCP WITH MY DAUGHTERS FULL PERMISSION. I would not for one minute have expected them to deal with me without her express consent and on each occasion she has spoken to them first and given them permission to speak to me.

I reiterate, I was NOT asking for any opinions as to whether I SHOULD or SHOULD NOT complain, or if my daughter is an adult or not, I was merely asking for information with regard to an email address!!

I am finding more and more on these forums that people seem to take great delight in picking other people to pieces for one reason or another. I could understand if I had gone in all guns blazing WITHOUT MY DAUGHTERS PERMISSION, but I have it!! I thought this was a forum for helping people,:confused: I was obviously mistaken!!

Carol
# 14
devorguila
Old 25-06-2008, 9:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just a quick point re chickmug's post suggesting that you record the calls - not everybody knows this, but it's illegal to record a call without the other party's permission if you intend anyone else to hear it. (There are a very few limited exceptions, such as crime prevention by certain authorities, of course - phone tapping would be a bit pointless otherwise!) This would mean that it wouldn't be valid evidence in any complaint, and could land you in legal trouble if either the DWP, or the advisor being recorded, decided to take it further. (It can and does happen!)

If you get their permission to record first, that's not a problem - it's becoming quite a common request at govt offices and most people will be fine with it if you ask politely!

Unfortunately, if DWP's anything like the department I'm in, then there's probably no email address you can use: external email is viewed with absolute terror by the upper echelons...

Good luck with getting it sorted!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devorguila For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
cazziej
Old 25-06-2008, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you for your reply Devorguila.

Good point re the recording of telephone conversations. I know when you ring the DWP/JCA it does inform you that they MAY record the call - I am hoping that they do!!

Best wishes

Carol
# 16
ALIBOBSY
Old 26-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm on maternity leave at the mo, but the office I was working at state calls may be recorded and do not have facillities to record anything (or didn't when I left). However as I understand it they were aiming to bring this in, so you may be lucky and the calls may have been recorded.

I can assure you there are some good staff out there, but out of so many staff and offices some are good, some are average and some are rubbish.

I can concure with the advice that to complain you need to put it in writing, Digital complaining is not available yet lol. They only installed internal email in the last couple of years rofl.

Putting the complaint to one side did you daughter get her claim sorted out?

ali x
"Overthinking every little thing
Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Earn 10 a day challenge FEB 0/260
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ALIBOBSY For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
cazziej
Old 26-06-2008, 5:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIBOBSY View Post
I'm on maternity leave at the mo, but the office I was working at state calls may be recorded and do not have facillities to record anything (or didn't when I left). However as I understand it they were aiming to bring this in, so you may be lucky and the calls may have been recorded.

I can assure you there are some good staff out there, but out of so many staff and offices some are good, some are average and some are rubbish.

I can concure with the advice that to complain you need to put it in writing, Digital complaining is not available yet lol. They only installed internal email in the last couple of years rofl.

Putting the complaint to one side did you daughter get her claim sorted out?

ali x
Thank you for your reply Alibobsy and congratulations on the new arrival - hope everything went well.

I did actually come accross 1 member of staff who was very sympathetic and tried his best, but I have to say he was in the minority. I am drafting a complaint letter as we speak as after having a further run in with them today and asking for an email address to complain to I was told they don't have any!

My daughters benefit is still not completely sorted and to top it all the person I spoke to today, when generously telling her she had been awarded 20 crisis loan, seemed incredulous that she had already received 75 (this was for 3 weeks) and asked what she had done with it!! When I told him she had borrowed money prior to this to live on and obviously had to pay it back, commented that it was her fault if she had debt!! He then made the mistake of saying to me "its not my problem". This really got me going and on questioning exactly what he meant and how he could say such a thing, he backtracked and said "oh I didn't mean to say that, I meant its not my concern!" I SOOOO hope this call was recorded.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Best wishes

Carol
# 18
Oldernotwiser
Old 26-06-2008, 6:59 PM
PPR

Well, is it really his problem or concern that your daughter's got debt? If she lives at home and has a job to go to in 3 weeks she's not really going to be a top priority however much you think she should be.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oldernotwiser For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
cazziej
Old 26-06-2008, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldernotwiser View Post
Well, is it really his problem or concern that your daughter's got debt? If she lives at home and has a job to go to in 3 weeks she's not really going to be a top priority however much you think she should be.
I really am getting quite bored with all this nit picking now. Yes it is his problem, or at least his departments which he is supposed to be representing. The "debt" was not for flashy clothes or going out drinking and smoking etc, it was for day to day survival, including petrol money to attend for interviews etc, (you know, trying to get out of this situation as soon as possible - or are you going to tell me now she should be walking to interviews miles away?. And he obviously recognsed he was in the wrong by the way he rapidly backtracked and apologised. Would you like to be spoken to with this attitude?? How would you feel to be answered with "its not my problem" when you were trying to sort something out. Fair enough if he then went on to say "but I know whose problem it is and I will put you through", but not a stonewall "thats not my problem". I work for a GP and imagine the uproar if patients rang to make appointments because they were ill and I told them "well that nots my problem!".

I sincerely hope that you or your family are never in this position, but god forbid if you are, don't bother coming here for support. (Apologies to the decent and helpful people who have responded, both here and by PM, thank you, and this is in no way aimed at you!).

Yes she does live with her parents and yes she does have a job to go to IN 3 WEEKS, does this mean that for the next 7 weeks until she gets paid she can rot? How do you know that we as parents have the resources to be able to assist her for 2 months.

She herself has worked 3 years previous to this and therefore paid into the system via National Insurance, I pay into the system and have done for the past 27 years, and until very recently her father did, as did both sets of grandparents etc, etc. I would have hoped that when she NEEDS money, which incidentally the JCP staff member told me today is worked out for a single person at 6.95 per day, I would have hoped it would be available without what feels like a fight to the death. You try living on less than 7 per day, I don't expect it is much fun.

Carol
# 20
bestpud
Old 26-06-2008, 7:37 PM

The good thing is they will backdate it when they do eventually get it sorted, and your dd has a roof over her head and food to eat in the meantime.

I can't help thinking they must be rolling their eyes at a mother calling in behalf of her perfectly able 19 year old dd though! I know you don't want to hear this, but if I would not be bending over backwards to help in this situation.

If you persist with the complaint, you definitely need to write, not email, as already said. Emails are too easily ignored imo.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bestpud For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread