Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > I wanna buy-it or do-it > Why don't I want a JML Halogen Oven (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Why don't I want a JML Halogen Oven
Closed Thread
Views: 55,970
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Mrs P Pincher
Old 23-06-2008, 3:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Why don't I want a JML Halogen Oven

I'm being severely tempted by adverts for these in the paper and I am obviously keen on something that would stop me from needing to use my big oven on a daily basis, but equally I don't need any more kitchen gadgets gathering dust.

Does anyone have one or have any experiences to relate? Should I get one or should I look the other way? What do you think?

Thanks

Mrs P P
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs P Pincher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
McKneff
Old 24-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

look the other way. i have one, the food doesnt look the same
doesnt taste the same. you'll use it for a month and then it
wil be in the back of a cupboard for life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
consumermonkey
Old 24-06-2008, 7:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Location: West Wales (where men are men and sheep are worried!)

Rather than get that, save up some more and get a good combi micro. NOT the grill micro combi, I mean the convection oven micro combi. Will save you loads of cash in the long run as it will use part microwave for speed and the convection oven to get the oven baked feel to your food too.
The Following User Says Thank You to consumermonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
HappyMedium
Old 16-08-2008, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Love my halogen oven, its cooks beautifully. Have been using it for a month now and would not go back to my old oven.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyMedium For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
larmy16
Old 24-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Halogen Oven query!

OK I admit it - I have fallen for the hype and in the hope of saving electricity costs (ds uses oven for a few chips etc nearly every day) have purchased the JML halogen oven.

I am so darned excited its pathetic. It should arrive this week. I understand that you can make casseroles, cakes etc. What I don't understand is the complete roast dinner. Do you just start the chicken off, then add the carrots, potatoes, yorkies etc as you would in a conventional oven?

Can you cook say oven chips on the bottom and then put a pizza in on the top rack??
Also when you put things in at different times does the oven have to get back up to the heat it was??

Any stories of (positive please!) halogen ovens and what kinds of meals you do in them.

Thanks
Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larmy16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
ailuro2
Old 24-08-2008, 2:36 PM

I think you need to head over to the old style board - they have another little oven they all rave about- can't remember what it's called, but they'll be happy to help you , I 'm sure!!
Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
Balance 19th April '07 = minus 27,640
Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with 1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
The Following User Says Thank You to ailuro2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
drofmab
Old 03-05-2009, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Roast Chicken in JML Halogen Oven

I have noted in the TV ads views of chicken being roasted up-side down. This idea seems sensible to me as it offers a means of self basting as in a rotisserie. None of the cook books describe this technique.Do you start roasting in this mode and turn breast up for final browning or finish roast in the breast down mode. Any comments, experience and/or advice?

Last edited by drofmab; 03-05-2009 at 4:42 PM. Reason: spelling omission
# 8
irishwexford
Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I bought my JML oven to save on electricity as my fan oven is very expensive to run. The oven is very big and you have to fiddle around a bit to get used to it. I cook a chicken in oven bag, 30 mins upside down and 30 mins other way and this turns out ok, nice and moist but have not tried cooking whole meal in it. Have cooked pizzas, oven chips and chops and roast potatoes ok. My electricity charges have come down so much I will continue to use it even though it would be much easier to use my fan oven. Its not all its made out to be but it does save cash. I try and batch cook roast potatoes and then freeze, try are a bit dry but ok when cooked for a small time in oil in fan oven.
The Following User Says Thank You to irishwexford For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
larmy16
Old 11-05-2009, 1:28 PM

I have never regretted buying my JML. In fact it's nice to have not made a mistake for a change!!

I use it all the time, but for things like home made wedges, veggie sausages, pizzas, heating up the occasional ready meal for my DS etc.

Our large oven is rarely on.
Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

# 10
brownfrog
Old 11-05-2009, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Long thread about halogen ovens here - some other makes mentioned, and also what does/doesn't cook well in it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...hlight=wattage
The Following User Says Thank You to brownfrog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
pushypat
Old 25-04-2010, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cooking chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofmab View Post
I have noted in the TV ads views of chicken being roasted up-side down. This idea seems sensible to me as it offers a means of self basting as in a rotisserie. None of the cook books describe this technique.Do you start roasting in this mode and turn breast up for final browning or finish roast in the breast down mode. Any comments, experience and/or advice?
Yes, place chicken upside down for first hour, then turn over, cutting through legs near breast to allow heat to cook thoroughly, then cook for
further 45 mins. Chicken will then be crispy and succulent. Place partly
cooked veg & potatoes around bird when turning over. - success.
# 12
alaninmanchester
Old 18-05-2010, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Great oven

I got one for Christmas, takes some getting used to but once with trial and error I love it, most things far better and quicker, casseroles were the least successful, roast chicken dinner is great, warm oven a little oil in the base, peel potatoes, throw in the bottom (no need to part cook) coat in oil, season, chicken in breast down, for 3o min, then I put chicken breast up, with potatoes around chicken, with some carrots/parsnips/peppers etc what ever you like then finish for another 20-30 min, I have done chicken in 25 min and tested temp was cooked through so dont over cook it, take chicken out and mix spuds/veg to finish off, a perfect meal in an hour.
Cleaning setting is a waste of time was bowel in sink far quicker.
Best for doing crispy bacon, J/Pots, cheese on toast, fish etc would rec to anyone,
The Following User Says Thank You to alaninmanchester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
johnnyshuttle
Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

30.00 + 5.00 delivery at the moment on the JML site.
http://www.jmldirect.com/The-Origina...n-Oven-PH1501/
The Best Currant Cutter known To Man!!
# 14
PasturesNew
Old 10-06-2010, 1:08 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

There are some Halogen oven recipes here: Halogen Oven Recipes and Instructions

The main issues with them seem to be weight of the bowl and whether the lid has a stand or not (having picked up the hot lid, where do you put it down safely while stirring/serving). I'd want to use one for a couple of weeks before I bought one.

Last edited by PasturesNew; 10-06-2010 at 1:12 AM.
# 15
CHRISSYG
Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM

is it true once the halogen lamp needs replacing it needs an electrician to do it ?
CHRISTMAS..............Complete

YORK 2015...............paid
# 16
Noentrobcap
Old 23-08-2010, 5:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Large forum thread in Spain

Hi everyone, I've just registered here. I live in Spain and have owned a halogen oven for many years. There is a website in Spain with a really huge amount of information about these ovens and also a great deal of recipes, all posted by users. Quite a nice community there. Of course it's in Spanish, but anyway I'll place some links here. I'm ready to help with recipes translations or any advice... Please check it, the thread has already 65 pages, growing every day.

(I'll edit leaving links out, didn't know it was not allowed)

This is page 1 with links to recipes and advice:

------------------

Page 65:

---------------------

Some of the participants in the forum have also halogen oven recipes in their blogs:

--------------------------
mery is no doubt one of the best, she has some terrific videos there.

--------------------------

I hope this will help to increase the reputation of these ovens...they certainly deserve it.

Last edited by Noentrobcap; 23-08-2010 at 5:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noentrobcap For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
murphy306
Old 04-12-2010, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I bought one yesterday 29.99 in Argos until 24 Dec 10, really good job I am really impressed with it
# 18
mark03r
Old 12-03-2011, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have a halogen oven I went for a more expensive Andrew James, Although I think that its not worth all the extra money as all the halogen cookers seem to like the same but I am happy with it the best part is not having to clean the oven its much quicker just cleaning a glass bowl.
The Following User Says Thank You to mark03r For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
cliffjudith
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Halogen Cooker

I bought mine 2 years ago and found it brilliant. Roast chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions, swedes and parsnips all in together and cooked ready for the plate. Cleans so easily it's a treat.

If mine breaks I'm straight off to the shops for a new one.

Highly recomment it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cliffjudith For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
SallyForth
Old 06-12-2011, 12:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, I have two. They are ideal for families of less than four people for a Roast. I typically do a chicken in one with the extender ring (it burns on top if you don't use one) and the roast spuds in the other which needs to be hotter. They are great for anything which needs grilling, roasting or baking where things don't need to "rise". I would say they don't work so well for cakes as they tend to cook too quickly on top, and not in the middle. Having said that, I have had marginal sucess with a ring shaped cake tin.

You will have issues finding tins,trays and dishes to fit inside, so keep you eye peeled. I haven't tried just cooking using the bowl. The self washing feature is a bit of an exaggeration - it does of sorts, but things can splatter above the waterline and the lid and it can be quite a faff to keep clean. The bowl it huge, and does fit in the dishwasher just about.

I have had a bulb go on one, JML just asked me to send it back, and I was sent a new one. This one doesn't appear to be as hot as the other, so there is some inconsistancy with the temperature.

I still love these ovens though, and both of mine still get used regularly for all sorts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SallyForth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread