IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Table-top halogen ovens
Views: 344,281
# 41
lizzyb1812
Old 02-11-2008, 8:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Is the Nu-Wav the one with the "plastic" dome that is attached to the heating element and that you lift off a base? If so, then I gather that some users have found that the plastic suffers because of the infra-red. Think I read this on an Amazon review.
"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzyb1812 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
Olliebeak
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Many thanks, kittykat and lizzieb - I'll keep your comments in mind .
The Following User Says Thank You to Olliebeak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
jennyjelly
Old 03-11-2008, 1:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Like a lot of people on this thread I'm searching for recipes to make in my newJML and I cam across this which might be useful to others:

http://www.morningware.com/oven.html

There are recipe links at the bottom of the page.

Anybody seen any others?
Oh dear, here we go again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jennyjelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
alltrustgone
Old 03-11-2008, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Infrared cooking

Hello all

My first post, hopefully a useful one. Theres a Yahoo group for infrared ovens called the Flavorwave-Hearthware-Oven-Users group, with recipe links and useful reference files as well as general discussion. It covers various brands, not just Flavorwave. HTH.

ATG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alltrustgone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
PasturesNew
Old 03-11-2008, 6:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Recipes here too: http://cherrymay.com/thehalogencookbook/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
wayne
Old 04-11-2008, 6:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default jml halogene oven

hi,i cant stop myself watching the half hour ad for jml halogene oven now my wife has come home from work(t j hughes)and said they are selling them.very tempting lol.does anyone have one?are they any good?what do you think of them?
or should i move on to something else?my rottiserie?the ceramic plate thingy that goes in the microwave?oh choices choices.lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
Mrembo
Old 04-11-2008, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Check this one out
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&highlight=jml
# 48
jennyjelly
Old 06-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you are thinking of ordering the JML one read this first and save yourself 9.50.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1267649

JJ
Oh dear, here we go again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jennyjelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
Arrogantcat
Old 20-11-2008, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Halogen Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
hi,i cant stop myself watching the half hour ad for jml halogene oven now my wife has come home from work(t j hughes)and said they are selling them.very tempting lol.does anyone have one?are they any good?what do you think of them?
or should i move on to something else?my rottiserie?the ceramic plate thingy that goes in the microwave?oh choices choices.lol
Have read a number of posts regarding Halogen ovens,have had both Nuwave and JML-had Nuwave for 3 years,gave it to my daughter when I purchased my JML wished I hadnt nothing but problems,had refund eventually.Was then going to re-purchase Nuwave,but watching Bid-tv shopping channel one evening saw a halogen for sale,was a bit dubious but arrived 2 weeks ago-absolutely brilliant!!The bowl is made from stainless steel so no cracking unlike JML and cooks even quicker than other 2 previously owned,also comes complete with extender ring,tongs,low and high racks. It is made by Elitech and only available via the auction channels, best part-only paid 11.99 for said item,obviously as it is an auction channel the price does vary,but have never seen it sell for more than 15.99,slight downside-rubbish manual and cost 8.99 p&p but arrived within 3 days,highly recommend,especially if just want to try halogen cooking.While Im on here,just a message for people looking for recipes.Recipezaar.com an American site has a number,just type in nuwave/flavorwave in search and if you go to nuwaveoven.net/recipes there are quite a few on there,you can also download the user manual which is a great guideline if you have no comprehensive instruction book .P.S.Also go to thanedirect.co.uk-user manual available to download on the flavorwave turbo also very handy. Work between the 2 manuals and you will find a happy medium-hope this helps!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrogantcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
larmy16
Old 20-11-2008, 11:31 PM

Touch wood - no problems with our JML. We love it. I don't think I have used the oven since we got it and my oven takes eons to heat up. I would deffo buy another if something happened to this one (touch wood it wont)!
Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

The Following User Says Thank You to larmy16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
bohma2000
Old 12-12-2008, 9:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile Elitech Halogen Oven

ArrogantCat, are you sure the Elitech is halogen? I have just looked at the Bid TV site for this oven and there is no mention of the word Halogen in the description of the oven. I am only concerned that it is as cheap to run as the JML ovens. If it is as cheap to run and as quick, even if it is not halogen then no problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bohma2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
knitter
Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well think I am the Tabletop Oven Queen.

About 8 years ago our separately housed electric double oven broke
At the time we could not afford a new one so to tide us over until we saved up we brought our first Halogen Oven for 60 of QVC not sure what make it was.. not JML though
It came with an extender ring and was used constantly, 3 of our 4 children still lived at home at that time Did Sunday Roast, Toad in Holes, cottage pies along with fast food sausages, pies etc. It saved on the electric at that time I was on a prepay meter so really noticed a difference
I was converted ...The Table top Oven along with My Slow cooker, and Hob. We never got around to buy a proper new Oven
The Halagen Oven broke after Daily use about 3 years later .. I then brought a JML one for about 80 as at that time (they have come down in price.) That Oven still going strong.
2 and half years ago we decorated and updated our kitchen Replaced the kitchen cupboard doors and threw out the broken double oven and it surrounding cupboards and made way for a table and chairs
At about the same time brought a second JML oven in a sale at robert dyas for 30. It was nice having 2 ovens for cake making.

Last year brought the Nuwave oven (having giving one of my Jml to daughter when she went to uni.) On the plus side the nuwave has a wider diameter and has a lip to put the hot lid on while out get food out (which was always tricky with JML version) But The quaility is poor.... the dome which is plastic has splilt twice and the control panel also broke. All of which have been replaced free of charge but the guarantee is up now and don't think it will last long ..So when i replace it I will go back to my faithfully JML

Last Christmas with the help of 2 extender rings One of my halogen ovens cooked a 16lb turkey stood upright! (Even got the photo to prove it ) all the juices and fats drained to the bottom to make lovely gravy
Roast potates sausages wrapped in bacon in the others
My now grownup kids laugh at me saying stay out kitchen "Mums busy with her mini spaceships"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
furndire
Old 20-12-2008, 11:08 AM

I've just had a halogen oven delivered from Ideal World, and there isn't an instruction book with it (they've said they'll send one out in a couple of days........) but I want to start using it NOW. Can anyone who has one tell me where to start, or pm me basic instructions pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase.

Last edited by furndire; 03-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to furndire For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
geordie joe
Old 20-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furndire View Post
I've just had a JML oven delivered from Ideal World, and there isn't an instruction book with it (they've said they'll send one out in a couple of days........) but I want to start using it NOW. Can anyone who has one tell me where to start, or pm me basic instructions pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase.
Put your food in, put the lid on, set the temperature, set the time. The cooking will start when you press the handle down. The handle is used as a switch, down to start and lifting it up stops the oven.

Mine was delivered on Thursday, from Betterware, and I've used it twice and love it. I have no doubt the standard Remoska I bought a few months ago will end up on ebay. The halogen oven is twice as big (at least) and was half the price and is at least ten times better than the remoska.

And it saves me putting the kitchen light on too
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
larmy16
Old 20-12-2008, 11:52 AM

How lovely to know that one has made the right choice for a change in buying the halogen!
Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larmy16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
furndire
Old 20-12-2008, 8:51 PM

Thanks folks for replies
- I found the instruction book in between the two trays. Only thought there was one tray
The instructions are pretty sparse to say the least
Had a bit of a play this afternoon. Cooked some sausages (which I made yesterday) - they were ok. They took longer than I expected. Said on the instructions 6 minutes - no idea where that length of time came from.

Certainly less messy than normal oven, and extremely easy to clean. I had a piece of pork skin that I made into crackling which would have worked well if I hadn't put the time too long, and forgot about it I wish all non stick items were as good as the round tray which comes with it.

I think that I will be using the oven a lot. At least you are only heating the space you need, so I guess that is where the money saving will be coming from.
Its certainly going to be quite a bit of guess work on timing and temparatures etc, but I tend to be a bit like that anyway with cooking of any description.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to furndire For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
jenster
Old 21-12-2008, 7:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i have one too and again like others hardly use the big oven now

it cooks so much quicker and instantly

only thing i find is the lid gets dirty/messy and of course u cant imerse it in anything to clean it really well

so if anyone has any sugestions on that id be greatful
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
Ann1984
Old 23-12-2008, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

HIya

My JML halogen oven came today and ilm already in love!!

I got it through betterware (was cheaper than from JML due to free postage), we ordered on friday and it came first thing today.

I was too worried about how to use it to be adventerous just yet but we have just had the loveliest jacket potatoes!!

I cant wait do cook my xmas dinner now!!

Ann
x
The Following User Says Thank You to Ann1984 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
furndire
Old 23-12-2008, 4:27 PM

Further to my post on Halogen oven. It makes great yorkshire puddings. Had no problems with the small ones rising, but I have never had any success with making large yorkies before, but this did it great. I cooked large yorkie till brown on top, took it quickly out, and turned over and did the other side just as brown. I couldn't have done that in normal oven, but as the heat is instant on halogen oven, it worked ok.
Roast Veg were very good as well - I think they took about 10 mins less time to cook than usual. I love the way that I can see the food cooking.

Last edited by furndire; 24-12-2008 at 1:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to furndire For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
linda2
Old 23-12-2008, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, I live in Belgium and also ordered a JML in Germany, I have to wait more than a month but with everything i read here im very curious about it.