Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Home Insurance Discussion
    • 17th Jun 08, 11:35 AM
    Home Insurance Discussion 17th Jun 08 at 11:35 AM

This discussion relates to the

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

If you've reduced the amount of your home insurance with cashback please report your success to encourage others
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Page 28
    • MrCH
    • By MrCH 22nd Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    MrCH
    I've been quoted £300 by a company who I was referred to, who compares numerous insurance companies.
    £100 excess. That's for building and contents.

How does that sound?
    House under £150k. Don't own much contents wise. Bog standard3 bed house.
    Last edited by MrCH; 22-08-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 22nd Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    adindas
    As mentioned previously in many cases it is 2x the quotation listed by the comparison site.

Well that's never happened to me. I always get exactly the price quoted on the comparison site.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Do you mean the quotation price as listed on the comparison site or after going further by clicking the link from the comparison site to go to the insurance company.

If the latter then I also get the same quotation price. It is the same company anyway so either you come by typing insurance company URL directly, via comparison or via cashback site, it has got to be the same price. Otherwise there must be something wrong with their quotation system.

What I mean previously is the quotation price as listed on the comparison site, not the quotation I get by clicking the link from the comparison site which will direct me to the insurance company site.

When I ask for quotation from comparison site I will need to input the data of my home and they will produce the list of many companies with the quotation price on it. The quotation price from this list is so inaccurate compared to the real quotation I will get from the insurance company.

If it is so inaccurate I could not see any point of using comparison site for Home insurance quotation as when you want to apply you still need to click the company on the list and then still need to input all of your data again and they will produce you a different quotation which those you originally see from the comparison site. The quotation price from insurance company is the price you will need to pay if you want to go ahead, not indicative price shown on the list of comparison site.
    Last edited by adindas; 22-08-2017 at 5:56 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Aug 17, 1:09 PM
    • 6,287 Posts
    • 19,195 Thanks
    Doc N
    I've been quoted £300 by a company who I was referred to, who compares numerous insurance companies.
    £100 excess. That's for building and contents.

How does that sound?
    House under £150k. Don't own much contents wise. Bog standard3 bed house.
    Originally posted by MrCH
    Impossible to answer, I'm afraid. Very much depends on postcode, sums insured and claims record.
    • rosie irving
    • By rosie irving 25th Aug 17, 11:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rosie irving
    I'm buying a house to rent out for holiday/airbnb lets - having trouble finding insurance company
    Can anybody give me suggestions as to who to contact?
    Due to exchange contracts next week so need to organise now
    Thanks
    • Yellow Poppy
    • By Yellow Poppy 25th Aug 17, 11:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yellow Poppy
    Hi, I am really confused and am feeling very unsettled. I really hope for kind advices..

1) I have been searching online for quotes for Home Insurance. In the last website that I visited (a direct insurer), I wasn't given a quote and the page states to the likes of 'We are not able to insure you' - I can't remember the actual wording. I tried adjusting the answers, rework again to get the quote, etc but the same answer appears.

2) I can't understand why though especially when :
    - the Insurance company that I bought my policy from agreed to renew my policy.
    - no claims has been made for our home in the past.
    - we do not have any criminal conviction.
    * we have never had an insurance application being rejected for our house and am feeling very surprised with the answer page of the insurance company. There isn't any explanation on the regards. Just asking us to call their customer service.

3) My question is - is this a rejection from the company ?

4) How now am I to answer to the question if I have had any insurance declined / cancelled / rejected / voided etc ? I am very worried that this experience will effect my future insurance application.

5) This is such a terrible experience. I wished I have just accepted the renewal quote from my past insurance company and not go looking around for better prices ..

Would appreciate kind advices. Thank you.
    • nicmalauren
    • By nicmalauren 31st Aug 17, 10:27 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    nicmalauren
    You wont get anywhere with Tradedoubler, they are just an affiliate referral company. Your beef is with DirectLine.
    Originally posted by Chappers27
    So I had assumed, but DirectLine themselves took no responsibility, and they were the ones that referred me to TradeDoubler!

It has a happy ending though - in the end I just continually badgered them with emails until eventually someone responded. They even had the cheek to say that they hadn't seen any of my previous communications! However, they sorted me out with my voucher (possibly just to shut me up and get rid of me!) and I'm now a happy camper!
    "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
    • Al 73
    • By Al 73 10th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Al 73
    MoneySupermarket - watch out if you live in a flat!
    I live in the top floor flat of a flat-roofed building and wanted quotes for home contents insurance, but I ran into a couple of problems with MoneySupermarket.

Firstly, the roof. MoneySupermarket asks "Which floor is your flat on?". The only options are "Basement", "Ground floor", "First floor" and "Second floor or above" so I chose the last one. I linked to the quote from Sunlife and checked that all my details had been correctly copied across. The answer showing for "Type of property" was "Flat - Other Floor". Nothing on the page mentioned roof construction. By chance, I spotted that there was also an option for "Flat - Top Floor" and changed it to that. Only then did the question about "Main Roof Construction" even appear. When I filled that in to say it was a flat roof, the quote jumped from £65 to £106. It would have been so easy to miss and I could have ended up with insurance that wasn't valid. The website for Budget did the same thing. The websites for Swiftcover and AXA also had this problem, except when I updated the roof details their websites said they were unable to offer me insurance. When I phoned customer services, I was told they don't do home contents insurance for flat roofed buildings and shouldn't even have appeared in the list of quotes.

I had a similar problem with my windows. I have old double glazing without locks but I'm 5 floors up with no balconies, so I'm pretty secure. MoneySupermarket asks "Do your windows have key-operated locks on them?" The info box adds "Wondering which windows we mean? Insurers want to know if accessible windows have locks. This means those on the ground floor or basement level. It also means those within easy reach of the ground that could be reached without a ladder." So I put "Yes" because I don't have any accessible windows, with or without locks. This answer was copied across to the RAC website, which asks you to confirm "Key operated locks on all accessible opening windows". However, they regard ALL windows as accessible, even those on the 5th floor, and added 25% to the quote. I only found out because I asked the call centre, the website doesn't say anything. This is a totally different definition of the question to MoneySupermarket - why does the RAC even use the word "accessible" in their question? This could have been another excuse to invalidate a policy.

Both of these are examples of bad data mapping. If the data input by customers is going to be copied from one website to another, then the questions and answers need to accurately match up and these simply don't. Always check your answers on the insurer's site and don't trust that the info has been correctly copied over from MoneySupermarket!

cheers, Al
    • Richmc
    • By Richmc 23rd Sep 17, 10:11 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Richmc
    Policy Expert a word of warning

My policy expert home insurance is due for renewal next month for this reason. They have just taken £2 from my current account to make sure it's still active, common practice they say as they were going to do an automatic renewal. I expressly told them I didn't want automatic renewal when I took out the policy last year, also I didn't give them permission to retain my card details, they replied that the details were stored by a third party company and were safely encrypted, WE'VE ALL HEARD THAT BEFORE!
    Further to this it came up on my bank statement as "card not present", that means not only had they stored my card name and number but must have stored the 3 digit CVC security code that's on the back of the card, THIS IS ILLEGAL.

According to the PCI SSC who govern data storage.....

"Do not store sensitive authentication data
    contained in a payment card’s chip or magnetic
    stripe, including the 3-4 digit card verification
    code or value printed on the front or back of the
    payment card, after authorization."

So beware any details stored on line however well encrypted can be hacked, and for a major insurance company to be doing so without your express permission, and holding data that they shouldn't keep utterly stinks!

Needless to say I won't be touching Policy Expert ever again with a 10 foot pole.
    • Richmc
    • By Richmc 23rd Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Richmc
    Hi Poppy,
    It could be something like there have been a number of break ins around your post code or house fires (or similar). You haven't had insurance declined, you have been refused a quotation, I your current providers quote is reasonable I'd go with them this year and start afresh next year if you need to. If they have hiked your premium try around for other quotes then go back to then to get a price match.
    • Richmc
    • By Richmc 23rd Sep 17, 10:31 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Richmc
    I'm buying a house to rent out for holiday/airbnb lets - having trouble finding insurance company
    Can anybody give me suggestions as to who to contact?
    Due to exchange contracts next week so need to organise now
    Thanks
    Originally posted by rosie irving
    Landlord insurance companies will usually insure holiday lets, but none that I know will touch airbnb or the like, too many horror stories of houses being rented and used as pop up brothels and drug dens.
    Try asking a letting agent about insurance, even if you don't use an agent they will give you information on the basis you might use them.
    • tg99
    • By tg99 23rd Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    tg99
    In terms of the usual question when applying for home contents insurance that asks if you have had any claims in the last 5 years, does anyone know whether it is expected that I should disclose building insurance claims where the buildings policy is not in my own name but is in the name of the residents management company and thus covers all the flats in our block. Have spoken to a couple of different insurers who have said different things, one saying I do have to report these (including for another flat I let out) and that these count when assessing my claims history, and another saying these are not relevant because it is the management company policy not my own (even if it is a claim relating specifically to my flat). Any idea how such claims would be recorded in the Claims and Underwriting Exchange database? Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin