IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Complete Electric Rewiring 3 bedroom house
Closed Thread
Views: 130,172
# 1
bauk
Old 17-06-2008, 9:15 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Complete Electric Rewiring 3 bedroom house

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of getting some major building work done for my house and I have found out that my electrics are old. I'm in the process of getting some quotes to find out how much it will cost but would like to also find out here how much it will cost. Currently the house is pretty much gutted and all plastering will be done after the electrical work. All floorboards are currently exposed as well so running cables should be much easier I would imagine.

I would like to get my 3 bedroom house completely rewired. However the kitchen extension will be excluded because this was part of the main building work.

To summarise then the following is required:
21 Double Sockets (Inc double socket for immersion heater)
1 Single Socket (1st floor Hallway)
4 TV/HDMI Socket (Reception 1/2, Large Bedroom 1/2)
6 Spotlights (Reception 2)
7 Single Lights
6 1way Light Switch
2 2way Light Switch
1 Bathroom Light circuit including shaving socket provisioning
1 Consumer Unit
1 Certificate

Options:
1 Armored Cable approx 20m to the back of the garden.

I live in South London... Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to get this work done for 1) standard fittings 2) chrome fittings 3) no fittings - supplied by customer?

Currently I am being quoted 2600-2800 and 3800! for standard fittings exc the armored cable in the garden.

Many Thanks,
BAUK
# 2
katiecoodle
Old 17-06-2008, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I reckon that does sound OK to be honest. I've just had an empty house fully wired (no plaster, so no chasing through walls - quite an easy job relatively) for £1500 inc labour & materials. And yes that included armoured cable externally too - it's a 3 bed but a high spec - 65 spots in total, plus 6 pendant light fittings, 3 TV points (HD) and 5 outside lights. And the alarm was included too. I struck the deal by saying I'd pay cash & wouldn't press him on a timeframe - I think the guy fitted it in by doing 1.5 hours at the end of each day for a couple of weeks.
# 3
bauk
Old 17-06-2008, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Katie,

That sounds like a good quote. The plastering is not part of the £2600+ quote as this is part of the main work that will be done afterwards.

The quote you had was it based in London? and did you have any wall sockets installed as well?

Thanks
# 4
baldelectrician
Old 18-06-2008, 1:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiecoodle View Post
I reckon that does sound OK to be honest. I've just had an empty house fully wired (no plaster, so no chasing through walls - quite an easy job relatively) for 1500 inc labour & materials. And yes that included armoured cable externally too - it's a 3 bed but a high spec - 65 spots in total, plus 6 pendant light fittings, 3 TV points (HD) and 5 outside lights. And the alarm was included too. I struck the deal by saying I'd pay cash & wouldn't press him on a timeframe - I think the guy fitted it in by doing 1.5 hours at the end of each day for a couple of weeks.
I hope you got paperwork.
This works about
Armour cable 30
65 spots (inc 65 choc boxes) 325
Alarm 150
Other materials 450
Outside lights 100
Total materials (minimum, assuming cheap / poor quality screwfix) 1055

Total labour hours (assuming done right) 55 hours
total hourly rate (profit) < 8.10 per hour

Seems too good to be true.

My guess, no choc boxes on the spots, corners cut, no Part P (or more importantly BS7671, wiring regs paperwork)
I am guessing GU10 (mains spots) and it will be kits froim Homebase / B&Q.
You may get problems with the job in time.

I am not deliberatly trying to condem you, but where would you stand if something bad were to happen. Your insurance company may ask questions regarding competency- how would you prove this?

BAUK
Re original post, the 2 quotes seem OK. Make sure the work is specified to the 17th Edition of BS7671 (IEE Wiring Regs)

You should use a competent person for the work, links below
In Scotland:
Individuals regitered;
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
Companies
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/Sear...struction&ID=2
In England and Wales:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk
baldly going on...
The Following User Says Thank You to baldelectrician For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
darkstar157
Old 18-06-2008, 9:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi bauk
If the work is certified to 17th edition then i think that 2800 is very reasonable especially considering your location.
good look
# 6
bauk
Old 18-06-2008, 11:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Firstly thank you to everyone that has replied. You have been extremely helpful!

On the website of one of the companies it says compliant with UK Laws and 16th edition regulations? Is this not good enough? They have a government endorsed standards trust mark.
# 7
ebbs
Old 19-06-2008, 12:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I paid 2100 for a full rewire of a 3 bed house including spotlights in kitchen and bathroom and smoke alarms
# 8
onlyroz
Old 25-06-2008, 5:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You might find that you don't need a full rewire because some of the existing wiring might be fine. Our electrician quoted a full require cost of about 3000-4000 but in the end only parts of it needed doing and we paid about 1400. We're in a 3-bed. Ask for an inspection first.
# 9
Sharonda
Old 15-07-2008, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Are people allowed to say who they have used to do the work? (I'm new to this site). We've just bought a house together and it needs a new fusebox for sure, but I'm not sure it needs a full rewire as some work was done shortly before we moved in. We've been quote 5,000! Looking at some of the threads here, I think that's way over the top. I live in Farnborough in Hampshire and if anyone is able to put me onto a good electrician in the area (or surrounding area) who won't rip us off, I'd be grateful. (Sorry also if it seems I'm highjacking this thread...)
# 10
baldelectrician
Old 16-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You should use a competent person for the work, links below
In Scotland:
Individuals regitered;
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
Companies
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/Sear...struction&ID=2
In England and Wales:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk

These companies have been vetted, some sites have a contractor search facility.
baldly going on...
# 11
Guy honest best electrics
Old 24-10-2008, 9:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Guy honest best electrics
Default for electrical works

i would say for a good price you will be looking at the 3000 mark complete with niceic from my firm would definately not go over 3100 it would be less but the hdmi stuff is not something i can give a for sure price on without them i know you would be looking at 2600 so i just added 400 to be sure to cover the hdmi part
# 12
Old 24-10-2008, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

firstly how big is your house . the firm i work for are usualy 3000 for a 3 bed house rewire with everything brand new inc fuse board and a full niceic. what to look for in a good electrician is that they usualy only give one price after seeing what you want and will stick to it aslong as you dont add things after and they will usualy work 9 hours a day with only a 20 min break that size house will take 4 to 5 days max and the best way to act aslong as they work like this is to just leave them alone only see what the job is like 3 hours before completion to then ask about anything you would like done better and remember to not complement or show how greatfull for how well the job is done untill the very end and when you pay them, lastly and most imprtant teh best electricians will not ask for any money untill the work is finished, in my experience only workers on a very tight budget or bad workers will ask for money before or durein the works unless teh job is quoted over 6000 if its a masive house
# 13
Old 24-10-2008, 9:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

just to add the quotes i gave will only need you to have a basic decorator in afterwards that means everything will be plasterd back in so only light sanding and painting will be needed after
# 14
Londonelectrician
Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default house rewire cost

Hi Bauk...

I would say the quote is about right, slightly on the high price as my company carried out the same work but also with a camera security system for 2700....

Just make sure you check they are part p registered to 17th edition standards, that way they cant take any shortcuts and you should receive a good standard of work.

Last edited by Londonelectrician; 07-07-2010 at 12:19 PM.
# 15
Londonelectrician
Old 07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi sharonda, my girlfriends mum lived in farnborough and has just had a part rewire done before she moved house, i know she got a reasonable price as im an electrician myself...im not sure if im allowed to give out the company name but it cant do any harm, right? ''patman electrical''

please can someone inform me before repoting me if i have broken any rules...apologies if so!
The Following User Says Thank You to Londonelectrician For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Yooj
Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It is frowned upon mate...

Also, do you realise that you are replying to a thread that is 2 years old?

Yooj
# 17
Londonelectrician
Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

i did not notice that no lol...thanks yooj!
# 18
KillerWatt
Old 08-07-2010, 9:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonelectrician View Post
i did not notice that no lol...thanks yooj!
Nice try
# 19
ChristianV
Old 25-02-2012, 3:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ChristianV
Default 3 bed house rewire

that is what i would charge as well for that kind of work. (2400) without kitchen

Last edited by ChristianV; 26-02-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Wrote too much
Closed Thread