Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving > Best Credit Card Machine Deals - Advice Please! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best Credit Card Machine Deals - Advice Please!
Closed Thread
Views: 44,520
# 1
fitorbust
Old 02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Best Credit Card Machine Deals - Advice Please!

Hi - I have decided after 16 years in business to start taking credit cards and switch etc.
I have had a look around at deals, and wondered what sort of deals other people have got recently.
I bank with Alliance and Leicester, but will use any bank that offers the best deal for the card machine.
I would be grateful for any input, % for credit cards, price per switch and monthly rate for the machine.
Thanks in advance!
Lesley

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 30-11-2005 at 1:52 PM.
# 2
Mark7799
Old 03-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Best advice is to shop around - prices can vary considerably.

Are you a member of the FSB - they offer discounted deals for merchant services for their members (www.fsb.org,uk) .
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark7799 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
grumpyoldgit
Old 04-10-2005, 1:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7799
Best advice is to shop around - prices can vary considerably.

Are you a member of the FSB - they offer discounted deals for merchant services for their members (www.fsb.org,uk) .
Just sold my retail business - Federation of Small Businesses offer a VERY good deal - well worth the annual fee to be a member - much cheaper than just signing up with a bank. If you want re-assurance and a chance to discuss the reality FSB will get a Rep to call and talk you through the implications and costs etc.

We reckoned to do 60%+ of our business through machine - well worth the cost (if you get the right deal). You will not believe the number of impulse sales accepting cards can generate - sad really if you start to think about the customers.

Also do set and display a minimum amount to accept on cards as you will pay charges on each transaction so don't lose out in the desire to make a sale. Amazing how many customers will put trivial amounts on a card.

Good Luck
GoG
K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid!!
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpyoldgit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
creditcardking
Old 04-10-2005, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I once purchased a screw on my CC for 10p. I had no cash and was left with no choice but to use my CC. I think it would have been cheaper for the store to have just given it to me for free since there would have been a transaction charge. Usually there is a minimum transaction amount of 5 to 10 pounds.
# 5
buglawton
Old 05-10-2005, 1:46 PM

Default Cheap mobile Credit Card Processing for Market Traders, Taxis

Market traders, taxi drivers , new small businesses might be interested in this:

I have found a little known company, http://www.adelantesoftware.com that offers credit card processing for POS (Point of Sale) via a WAP browser on your phone. Standing charges look to be a quarter of having say, a gprs mobile credit card processing terminal. This co does not blow it's trumpet much on the Website but call them and you can have a demo on your wap phone. There is even an SMS interface.

They offer a bundled deal for setup if you do not have a Merchant Account, with A&L or Bank of Ireland Merchant Services (your biz acct does not need to be with these to connect).

This looks OK for lower value items (no chip & PIN) and you also seem to get a Virtual Terminal for Customer Not Present (CNP) transactions.

I am going to give this system a try.

Nigel

** Own Link removed - Edited by AbCon **
Confucius he say: Can of worms never been known to open by itself

Last edited by MSE Abuse Controller; 07-10-2005 at 3:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to buglawton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Lazy_Ike
Old 05-10-2005, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldgit
Federation of Small Businesses offer a VERY good deal - well worth the annual fee to be a member - much cheaper than just signing up with a bank. If you want re-assurance and a chance to discuss the reality FSB will get a Rep to call and talk you through the implications and costs etc.
GoG
Have been accepting CC and Debit cards since start up 3 years ago. As a direct result of the posts here regarding FSB I registered interest online Monday. Rep visited Wednesday. I have joined FSB. Keep current CC system as it is the same one FSB allied with. Charges for my turnover reduced by 36% per transaction for CC and 64% for debit cards. Monthly rental also reduced almost 25%. Merchant banking at no charge. Lots of other benefits, direct and indirect.
Very pleased. Thanks to GoG and Mark. OP do check them out, the rep who visited was low key, and no high pressure selling.
Have also looked at the Adelante deal, which has its merits, but decided to stick with 'standard' system.
si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis
# 7
grumpyoldgit
Old 05-10-2005, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Ike
Have been accepting CC and Debit cards since start up 3 years ago. As a direct result of the posts here regarding FSB I registered interest online Monday. Rep visited Wednesday. I have joined FSB. Keep current CC system as it is the same one FSB allied with. Charges for my turnover reduced by 36% per transaction for CC and 64% for debit cards. Monthly rental also reduced almost 25%. Merchant banking at no charge. Lots of other benefits, direct and indirect.
Very pleased. Thanks to GoG and Mark. OP do check them out, the rep who visited was low key, and no high pressure selling.
Have also looked at the Adelante deal, which has its merits, but decided to stick with 'standard' system.
Glad to help - my experience of saving was the same PLUS all the other membership benefits of joining FSB
GoG
K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid!!
# 8
fitorbust
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all the replies so far. I am checking out the FSB and will see what they have to offer.
Rates on card services vary amazingly so I am sad to see that no-one has done a comparison of charges - Martin??
Lesley
The Following User Says Thank You to fitorbust For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
grumpyoldgit
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If I remember correctly the FSB will give you a handout with comprative rates which makes a very compelling case for going with them. The card service companies base their charges on likely volume of transaction - they obviously want to make money and go for low charges for high volumes and vice versa.

Whoever you sign with will provide a terminal for you - rental on those varies enormously, they will also try and sell you printer rolls for them at inflated prices - you can buy consumables for most machines (much cheaper) from a range of suppliers and on eBay. I think they rely on new people to simply shop with them out of ignorance they certainly don't tell you about alternatives.

Choice is the real strength of something like the FSB - rather like MSE they have picked the brains of members and sought a deal that capitalises on collective buying power from which each member benefits by saving on transaction and rental fees. As far as I could discern there were no catches and I only ever experienced low key, up front, honest information from which I could make my own decision when it suited me.

Hope this helps
GoG
K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid!!
# 10
fitorbust
Old 06-10-2005, 6:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks again.
Streamline contacted me today with a better offer than the one I turned down the other day. They beat the deal I would get with the FSB by a long way so I am going along with them. I started off at 200 set up, 30p per switch/delta, 2.2% for visa etc.
19.95 rental. I now have free set up. 19.95.rental, 18p for switch, 1.5% for visa etc so that makes a big saving. The FSB deal was more with them - the rental was cheaper (14.95) but the charges were more so I am happy - I think...
Thanks for all your input in this matter.
Lesley
# 11
buglawton
Old 27-10-2005, 1:18 PM

http://www.adelantesoftware.com quoted me 25/month fpr a proper chip and pin gprs mobile credit card terminal, flat rate, no call charges just the usual few percent fee in processing the payment. You would need to call them to check if this is too good to be true. I have visted their office a few miles from me & they are a repectable co!
# 12
Sam_26
Old 28-10-2005, 5:38 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile Credit Cards

We have just had Alliance & Leicester (new company offering) offer us 1.2% of credit card, 10 per month terminal rental and 13p on switch. It seems better than our current HSBC deal, although terminal rental is higher

SAM
# 13
buglawton
Old 23-11-2005, 11:50 AM

That sounds too good to be true but warrants a call from me to A&L to check! You did not mention if the Terminal is a mobile one or a fixed phone line one. If the latter, then this is no more use than a 'Virtual' terminal thru a PC Web Browser such as I get bundled in with the WAP phone processing deal at 6/month.

If they offered you a GSM chip'n'pin terminal at that price, let me know more details of the product name so I can refer to it - thanks.

But I like that 1.2% - is this an intro period only?

Last edited by buglawton; 23-11-2005 at 11:53 AM.
# 14
Sam_26
Old 30-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

It seems to be a new offering, the terminal is a boring fixed terminal, but does the job. Speak to new business section at A&L as they are trying to break in merchant services
Official Company Representative
I am the official company representative of Chemist-4-u. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
# 15
ukbill69
Old 01-12-2005, 8:23 PM

try: www.protx.com

never tryed them, but many people Ive delt with have used them.
Kind Regards
Bill
# 16
buglawton
Old 03-12-2005, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_26
It seems to be a new offering, the terminal is a boring fixed terminal, but does the job. Speak to new business section at A&L as they are trying to break in merchant services
Sound ideal if you need a robust fixed chip'n'pin terminal in a shop. If you work from various locations like we do the Adelante deal is cheaper at 6/month and allows Customer Not Present Transactions online via Web Browser, plus mobile Customer Present Transactions.

I am waiting for much cheaper mobile chip'n'pin devices to become available before I go for one of those. Perhaps I should check A&L out about that.
# 17
Nomi
Old 09-01-2006, 9:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

how much does it cost to join the FSB?

Last edited by Nomi; 09-04-2006 at 4:56 PM.
# 18
skippy64
Old 10-01-2006, 10:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Wink Online Sales

I currently have a standard Merchant account with Streamline using a standard terminal, but now I don't have a shop and all my transactions are 'Mail Order', where the card holder is not present plus I also wish to do online sales so I have been trying to come to the same answers over which 'gateway' provider to use. I have looked at Secpay and now Protx and like the previous poster I'm getting bogged down with all the costs involved. From what I can figure out so far if I integrate sales within my online site I will get a virtual terminal to use for my existing mail order sales so I figure at this stage I can get rid of my terminal, therby saving 19.95 a month. Just received through the post this morning the standard sales bumph from streamline about applying for an Internet Merchant account, costs are 75+vat arrangement fee, 10 per month minimum service charge, which includes your card charges so if your sales for one month are low and the relevant % card charges don't come to more than 10, your charged 10 anyway. The upside of that from what I can figure out is that if you have a lot of transactions you'll only be paying standard % rates that you have negotiated with them already ( I'm refering to Streamline as my own personal findings so far.)
From what I can now figure out from my own ramblings is that if I go with Protx I'll basically be replacing a monthly payment of 19.95 to Streamline with that of 20 a month to Protx, plus my normal card fees but be getting the extra facility of being able to do secure online sales.
My own conclusion is I've now got to see if I can talk them out of the arrangement fee !!!!
# 19
buglawton
Old 10-01-2006, 12:31 PM

Thiis is the route I took - result is 6/month standing fee including Merchant Service, Virtual Terminal (for Customer not Present transactions) + mobile terminal via WAP Browser for fairs & markets. Transaction fees are reasonable:

- Join the NMTF http://www.nmtf.co.uk/
- Apply to Adelante via their deal thru the NMTF, who in turn does a deal with Bank of Ireland for you to give you the Merchant Service.

I am using this Merchant service and can vouch that your Credit Card receipts clear into your Bank account in 4-5 working days (which is better than what I have heard about others).

NMTF gives a discount on Adelante setup, Adelante gives a discount on BOI setup. The accrued discounts pay for your NMTF membership and you get permanent discounts on transactions plus NMTF membership = proper traders insurance for occasional fairs, exhibitions etc (legal requirement anyway).
# 20
Colin2511
Old 25-01-2006, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

costs are 75+vat arrangement fee, 10 per month minimum service charge, which includes your card charges so if your sales for one month are low and the relevant % card charges don't come to more than 10, your charged 10 anyway. [/QUOTE]

you are lucky I need the online bit only as I am all internet- and I was quoted 250 set up fee yesterday - same 10.00 per month min charges

Does the FSM offer extend to online terminals? as I have heard that it only extends to off line terminals
Closed Thread