Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 16th Jun 08, 12:59 AM
    • 7,688Posts
    • 17,797Thanks
    chevalier
    HELLO From New Zealand
    • 16th Jun 08, 12:59 AM
    HELLO From New Zealand 16th Jun 08 at 12:59 AM
    Hi all
    Haven't got long on the old computer (in a camp site that has timed access). But I thought I would let you know that the Chevalier have made it to New Zealand.

Some interesting parts to it though. We new about the liquids in see through bags stuff, for hand baggage, but they were quibbling that DS1's allergy medicine was in a 150ml container even though it was only half full. It was only when we mentioned that it was for his allergy that is went though ok!!!

Then for some reason BOTH boys set the metal arch off in the security area so they both had to be hand searched ! Wasn't very impressed with that, but it had to be done. Does nothing for ones stress levels.

And THEN you still have to take your shoes off and have them x rayed! Now I where doc martens and they are a 5 minute job to take off and another 5 to put on, so guess who held up the queue.......:rolleyes:

Still we made it through to the departure area and the boys were very good considering. (Thank fully they had not been upset and tearful on departure from my parents in laws house, so that was a bit relief!).

But then for some reason when we went to go through to the departure lounge they wanted to search us AGAIN. I got asked why was I wearing my thick coat ? WTF! Er because it is winter in New Zealand and it can get chilly duh! Also it would pack anywhere else. But I guess they thought it was suspicious. Big sigh.

boys were really good on the plane and did sleep a bit, but I just couldn't - way too bright, so got into Los Angeles feeling like crap!

And what a stress that was, they make you get off the plane, get in a queue, finger print and iris scan, all so that you can sit in a transit lounge for an hour, and then get back on the plane! I mean I wouldn't mind but you can't even go and look at the rest of the air port, you just sit in the lounge. And it took AGES to process everyone as well. So being the suspicious type it seems a clever ruse, to get more biometric information about people.....

Anyway I hope all the debt busting is going well. It is raining up a storm here, but it is badly need apparently as the hydroelectric lakes are well done and there may be power cuts soon . So maybe we brought them some good English rain!!!!

cheers
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
Page 48
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 16th Apr 16, 12:56 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 29,985 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Onwards and upwards chev....you know what you need to do and the hospital work angle seems logical to me.

So there Mr Chev

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December xx/6
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 17th Apr 16, 7:18 AM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    So I didn't get an interview for the job I applied for, not really surprising when you leave a word out of the covering letter DOH! Still I have found some more jobs to apply for and will do those tomorrow.

Tonight is listing some stuff on the local selling site. I won't get much money but it is things gone I need to do now. Can't believe it though the local supermarket is giving away Disney stickers and cards at the moment and they are going for real money! So I have listed the 29 I have might as well they are no use to me!
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • Wol2
    • By Wol2 17th Apr 16, 9:15 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 9,726 Thanks
    Wol2
    Hi Chev

Sorry I've been a bit MIA!

Good to hear that you are getting there!

Once I get back up and running after the move - oh boy we're going to have a ball on your diary! You;re doing so well and making really good progress!!

Hugs and wheeks to you...and in the meantime - keep plodding!
    Much love
    xxx
    Flooded 20/07/07 .
    Normal service FINALLY RESUMED 31/07/10
    " It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." Douglas Adams...."or the FOS" Wol2
    Numptie groupie #2
    Mortgage offset drawdown £60861.... £60074 £59967 £65k 'ish 1/6/14

• chevalier
    • By chevalier 18th Apr 16, 10:49 AM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    Hi Chev

Sorry I've been a bit MIA! No kidding. You have been in my thoughts, especially when I was in the UK and there were all those floods. As I am not really sure where you are in the UK, I was keeping my fingers crossed that you were OK or at least safe behind your watertight doors.

Good to hear that you are getting there! Well yes sort of more of that below.

Once I get back up and running after the move - oh boy we're going to have a ball on your diary! You;re doing so well and making really good progress!!
    Move? Que? You must fill me in on that, or have you started up your diary again?

Hugs and wheeks to you...and in the meantime - keep plodding!
    Much love
    xxx
    Originally posted by Wol2
    Thanks for the wheeks, love the sound GPs make! Whiffles back from the bunny.

Well yesterday I did do the listing. Can't believe it but the Disney stickers have already got a $5 bid on them!.

Today I have had a bit of a mad moment.......and tidied and hoovered my half of the bedroom. This is not to imply that I won't do OH side, just that mine was such a mess that it took all evening to just to half a room. Even then the walls need cleaning!

The last tenants moved out in a hurry. Not their fault they had major family illness to deal with in another part of the country. BUT the house was pretty grubby when we moved in. About the only rooms I would say they had attempted to clean were the bathrooms. Everything else yuck. I had managed to clean the kitchen (well I couldn't have cooked in there before, it was too disgusting), but everywhere else got put on hold because of holiday and course.

Now I can't ignore it any more so will be trying to do a bit of wall each day this week. Even if I just get the worst of it off. Not sure how I am going to do the ceiling though.....

Right must go and sort through the jobs and apply for some.

ttfn Wol et al
    chev
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 18th Apr 16, 10:02 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 6,419 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Your thread had fallen down tot he bottom of my subscribed lists after months of not posting so good to see your updates
    Good luck with the job applicatiions.

Sorry to hear what you went through last summer. What a awful thing to happen and such a tragic loss.

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>24/02/15 £71,730>> 17/02/16 £71073>>01/06/16 £68166>19/07/16 £68004=6.23%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300Jan16 £190,800 May16£187900
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 24th Apr 16, 2:26 AM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    Hi NOA
    thanks for that. Yes it is still hard to believe. Each time there is an event it reminds us he isn't here. For example this will be the first Anzac day parade we have been to where he won't be present. Hard on us, but worse for his fellow Venturers.

On a happier note. I have the luxury of being...... BORED! I have nothing I HAVE to do. I am just waiting to go and do an night shift, and am not feeling awake enough to concentrate on job applications. So not really doing anything. The highlight of my day might be going and getting some milk in a minute lol.

I have applied for another job. Doing medical transcription. It doesn't close for another week though. I always worry about sumitting more than one job application at once in case I get them mixed up. How do others handle it?

chev
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 24th Apr 16, 9:13 AM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 29,985 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Nice to see the regular posts chev..

Multiple applications. I just try and not have too many on the go, but 2-3 seems fine. Just try and have a clear head when you write them and get into the zone. Then wait a while, preferably overnight, read though again for improvements and typos spellchecks etc and then send.

The point is often you need several attempts before one comes off and if you just do the applications in a 'linear' fashion then that statistically takes much longer. I think a limited number of applications all being processed at the same time makes better sense if you are determined to move.

X
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December xx/6
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 25th Apr 16, 10:07 AM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 6,419 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Having the time to be bored Is a luxury - enjoy while you can before you get your job

I have one room to clean that I can never get round to doing - the utility room - not used for anything other than storage now but has got so bad that it will take a few days to sift through - needs a totally empty, redecorate and only put back what's actually needed Had planned to do it last summer and the summer before.... perhaps this summer.

Re- job applications - I haven't done many applications but the most I have ever applied to at a time is 2, mainly because I was very selective as they have to fit with other commitments? My sister on the other hand sent off about a dozen applications when she changed a couple of years ago - all similar - but she ended up with 3 interviews in one week, so had a lot of research to do on the different companies before each, and had a very stressful week. I would suggest several at a time, you can always turn down an interview/rearrange if possible if clashes occur?
    x
    NOA
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>24/02/15 £71,730>> 17/02/16 £71073>>01/06/16 £68166>19/07/16 £68004=6.23%PAID
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 29th Jun 16, 9:59 AM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    Well it has been interesting
    So I am now the proud owner of a job! I got the medical transcription job. It is pretty interesting, though some of the authors talk way too fast lol. Or maybe my ears are slow yet! Pay is pretty good for sitting on your chuff and listening for 8 hours a day. I seem to be getting towards the target for the amount of words done in a day, so that is a relief too.

So just about to catch a break and the brexit happens. In the last 72 hours the GBP V NZD has gone from 2.10 NZD to the pound to 1.89 to the pound, so now we have even less chance of selling our house and bringing the money over to buy over here.Sigh.

Oh and to top it off having just got a new job, I had some routine blood tests done which have thrown up something not routine. No one panic, it isn't cancer. but i need to tell family first, which is going to be tricky enough as it is. NOA I can now empathise completely with you. My mum is going to be beside herself and I may not tell her just yet. However as it is genetic I do have to tell siblings sigh........

So I might as well bite the bullet and do that now.
    Night all
    chev
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 29th Jun 16, 2:42 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 10,314 Thanks
    scubaangel
    Glad to hear about the job Chev.

Sorry about the blood tests, hope it isnt something too serious but am sure if your siblings know it will be good for them to be aware of it.

I think we're all hanging on waiting to see what happens as a result of the referendum, I just hope the numbers get back to something useful for you fairly quickly.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 29th Jun 16, 3:01 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 6,419 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Congratulations on the your new job Chev we knew you'd get it

Sorry to hear about your blood test results. I really hope it isn't too serious and that it is something that can be managed/controlled/treated. It is hard isn't it, telling something to someone you love that will cause them anxiety that you know they could well do without.

Hopefully things post referendum will start to settle down, though not much sign of that yet

x
    NOA
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Jul 16, 3:39 PM
    • 7,165 Posts
    • 19,473 Thanks
    jwil
    Congratulations on the new job!

Sorry to hear about the blood tests, hope it's nothing serious.
    Pay off £10k in 2016 - £8300/£10,000

The Great Declutter 2016: 3330 items

"If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 11th Jul 16, 12:09 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 6,419 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Hope all OK Chev.
    x
    NOA
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 26th Aug 16, 6:48 AM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    Talk about ups and downs!
    So the medical issue I mentioned earlier is in the watch and wait phase. I have made best efforts to tell affected family, which included cousins, so that was a bit hard. But I am fine in myself. Just another treat potentially for later life. Sigh
    Work oh my life. So I am pleased to say I am up to speed that they want now, so that is good, means I am not being audited every five minutes. The standards are very very strict. Like leaving a comma in the address field is a big no no. And I am like seriously who the heck is looking but still I am doing it so there you go.

You know when you go to an interview and you think, yeah nah. Well I had this vibe about the boss of this place, but I thought I was being paranoid. But turns out I wasn't. I have to say he is fine to me so far but for people who have been there for 30 or 40 years he has been a recent and decidedly unpleasant shock. I attended a union meeting and bearing in mind these are mainly ladies in their late 50's and over I have never heard so much vitriol and bitterness about a work place, pretty much ever. And bear in mind I worked for Royal Mail for nearly 10 years.

The irony was that the day before I had gone to the health board welcome day, and it was all inclusiveness and working together. like what it should be. And then this meeting the next day. Like wow! So a real dichotomy there.

On a lighter note I had someone whos given first name was CJ the other day. No not initials their given name! Like wow. And one of my colleagues had some called - yep. How on earth that got past the naming people here is beyond all of us!

The work itself remains interesting and yet I am looking for another job. I can see this one going very wrong in terms of the politics before Christmas. Oh yeah that was the other thing. My OH and the boys are at jamboree over new year and I thought great I will take my mum away. But nope not allowed the time off. Really peed off about that. I now have to go in the ballot with everyone else which is a pain.

right must go
    chev
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 26th Aug 16, 10:42 AM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 11,881 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hello Chev,

Sorry to hear the new job may not be long-term.. But maybe the boss won't last himself, as all the very long-established employees have taken against him? Keeping all digits crossed that it all works out in the end - and you get lucky in the holiday ballot!

Re health issue.. Hope it's one of those where it is helpful to know in advance so any potential catastrophe can be avoided. Forewarned and all that.
    Last edited by *Robin*; 26-08-2016 at 10:46 AM.
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 14th Sep 16, 11:53 PM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    ranting post please ignore
    so a bit of a rant about not getting on and doing things and ending up feeling very guilty about it.

so DS1 when he was 12 I noticed that he couldn't get his arm to go up the side of his head. This was particularly noticeable when he was swimming back stroke in swimming lessons. To be honest it was just when he was starting to not want to go to lessons and generally be hormonal for the first time so I thought he was swinging the chain. Those swimming lessons were really the last time I got to have a good look at his back/shoulders as pretty much after that, it was not cool to be seen unclothed in front of mum, and OH wouldn't notice things like that if it had a big sign painted on it.

so years rolled round, and we finally go and lo, he hasn't got a problem with his shoulder he has curvature of his spine. the first thing the GP said was that his shoulder (the one he has a problem for) has a droop, classic curve spine sign. I am absolutely gutted and really quite upset with myself that I let this slide for so long.

The service I transcribe is paediatric orthopaedics and adult orthpaedics, so I hear about this type of thing every day. It is going to be a tough few years, and we could have started down this track three years ago. DAMN
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Sep 16, 6:22 AM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 18,129 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    (((chevalier)))

I just wanted to say that you are not alone and to send some hugs.
    It's so hard to know whether to bother the health system with things or not - I didn't want to be one of those parents who was always taking their child to the GP for no good reason.

You did what you thought was best at the time and remember DS was a teenager so he could have mentioned his shoulder again at some point although I find boys particularly like to hide their symptoms.

Hope the treatment for DS goes well. (((Chev's DS)))
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 23 for December
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 1/12/16)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 17th Sep 16, 6:54 AM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    Thanks EE. I guess there has just been a whole load of things that have been piling up for a few years.
    When I was working nights it left no brain power for thinking about it and OH couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery without loads of nagging, so I might as well do it myself. Which is why we are doing stuff now.

I am very thankful that the health service have at least acccepted the referral so now we are just waiting for the appointment. Sods law dictates that it will be when the boys are on camp this year but hey ho we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

on top of the physical we are getting both boys tested again educationally. At $950 a time, it is a VERY expensive assessment, but I have always been told that there is no way of getting this on the local system. So if we want them to have help in school (particularly important for DS1 as he has the equivalent of GCSEs next year) then they need the assessment. I have no idea how poor people get the help that they need. And even so it will put a dent in our savings to say the least.

Anyway I hope that whatever the answer is for DS1 the prognosis is good.
    chev
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 13th Oct 16, 1:40 AM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    Talk about a roller coaster.
    So money is flooding out as quickly as my additional flows in. Sigh. All I want is my own house, I sodding hate renting. Don't get me wrong my landlord is fine in a lacksadaisical way, but the whole house is painted dark cream and it just looks dirty. Yuck. And of course each week we are paying him $550 that we could be paying for a mortgage.

Now they want a 40% deposit, so on an average $600,000 nothing house that is $240,000 who the heck has that sitting in their bank account, oh that is right speculators. So then we come to selling our UK house. Which would be a no brainer. But the exchange rate has gone from $2.40 to the pound to $1.72 to the pound since brexit! So we would lose even more money in the exchange rate that previously when we said it was a no go.

You know what I am really scared about the future at the moment. I just can't see a way of getting out own place here. I turn shhh 50 next year and I worry that we will be still renting when we retire and the where would we be.

My brother is a financial adviser and he was suggesting we went interest only on our house in the UK or even sell it and get a couple or rental properties in a less expensive part of the country for some income. But then I worry about leaving any assets in the UK as I think it is all going to go down the toilet, probably for years when section 51 is triggered.

Oh stuff it I don't know boo hiss.

chev
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 13th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 17,797 Thanks
    chevalier
    anyone got any ideas?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,911Users online

Martin's Twitter