IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Postage to Northern Ireland???
Closed Thread
Views: 10,664
# 1
noonesperfect
Old 12-06-2008, 9:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Postage to Northern Ireland???

Don't suppose there are any kind souls on here who know whether Northern Ireland (specifically Newry) is classed as UK or Europe when sendng parcels.

I've just sold an item on ebay but the bidder is a newbie and didn't contact me first :rolleyes: .
# 2
miserly_mum
Old 12-06-2008, 9:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's classed as UK and costs the same (Royal Mail) as posting on the Main Land HTH
How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?

Last edited by miserly_mum; 12-06-2008 at 9:52 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miserly_mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Pink.
Old 12-06-2008, 9:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi noonesperfect,

As miserly_mum says Newry is part of Northern Ireland which is still part of the Uk and uses Royal Mail.

As this is an ebay question I'll move it over to the ebay board.

Pink
The Following User Says Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Marty J
Old 13-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I tried to buy a few boxes of blank CDs once, and the company wanted to charge me £15 for postage to Northern Ireland. I emailed them and asked why it was so expensive, and they said that couldn't use Royal Mail to send things to Northern Ireland so they had to use a courier. They kept insisting it was too expensive to use Royal Mail. Finally they said if I wanted to place an order they would "see what they could do". Needless to say I didn't bother. Very annoying. You really do feel like you're in a different country over here a lot of the time.

And sorry to rant, but what is up with the phrase "UK mainland only"? How is Northern Ireland not part of the mainland of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Surely they mean "Great Britain mainland only"?

*phew*

Sorry, I feel better now.

Last edited by Marty J; 13-06-2008 at 12:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty J For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ArmitageShanks
Old 13-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonesperfect View Post
Don't suppose there are any kind souls on here who know whether Northern Ireland (specifically Newry) is classed as UK or Europe when sendng parcels.

I've just sold an item on ebay but the bidder is a newbie and didn't contact me first :rolleyes: .
Courier No (apart from parcelforce, i think). RM yes.

Edit: totally wrong with parcelforce. The best you'll find for NI with a courier agent is around £11-12

Last edited by ArmitageShanks; 14-06-2008 at 4:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmitageShanks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
scbk
Old 13-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Royal Mail charge the same for anywhere within the United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
The Following User Says Thank You to scbk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
StaffsSW
Old 13-06-2008, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty J View Post
I tried to buy a few boxes of blank CDs once, and the company wanted to charge me 15 for postage to Northern Ireland. I emailed them and asked why it was so expensive, and they said that couldn't use Royal Mail to send things to Northern Ireland so they had to use a courier. They kept insisting it was too expensive to use Royal Mail. Finally they said if I wanted to place an order they would "see what they could do". Needless to say I didn't bother. Very annoying. You really do feel like you're in a different country over here a lot of the time.
Parcelforce, DHL and Fedex all surcharge parcels going to Northern ireland, the Scottish Highlands and the Channel Islands, even though Royal Mail do not.

Quote:
And sorry to rant, but what is up with the phrase "UK mainland only"? How is Northern Ireland not part of the mainland of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Surely they mean "Great Britain mainland only"?
I agree. Technically Great Britain consists of the land mass of England, Scotland & Wales. The United Kingdom is a generic definition of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as two separate entities, so there is no true place as "UK mainland". I was born in near Belfast, but now live in England although I still have a noticeable Northern Ireland accent. I am fed up with trying to explain to people that I am British, not Irish....

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
<--- Nothing to see here - move along --->

Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 10-12-2013 at 9:55 AM. Reason: Language
The Following User Says Thank You to StaffsSW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Marty J
Old 13-06-2008, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew8975 View Post
I agree. Technically Great Britain consists of the land mass of England, Scotland & Wales. The United Kingdom is a generic definition of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as two separate entities, so there is no true place as "UK mainland". I was born in near Belfast, but now live in England although I still have a noticeable Northern Ireland accent. I am fed up with trying to explain to people that I am British, not Irish....
Well, you can be Irish if you want. Or British. Or both. Or neither probably.

The wonders of coming from Northern Ireland! lol

Quote:
And another thing - why are so many Irish pubs called Pogue Mahone? There must be enough Gaelic speakers "on the mainland" who know what that actually means!!
Maybe they're trying to tell them something?
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty J For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
noonesperfect
Old 14-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As far as I'm concerned the whole of Ireland is part of the British Isles/Great Britain/United Kingdom, call it what you will. Apologies to those living in Ireland, but the borders mean nothing to me, sorry.

I got mixed up, as I had a buyer from Southern Ireland (now I think about it) last year and was very surprised to find out how much it cost to send a parcel there.
# 10
StaffsSW
Old 14-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned the whole of Ireland is part of the British Isles/Great Britain/United Kingdom, call it what you will. Apologies to those living in Ireland, but the borders mean nothing to me, sorry.
It's a completely different country - different laws, different road signs. different currency, different government, and even a different language in the west of the country.

It's exactly the same as France being separate from Germany, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and Spain. Come to think of it, that huge land mass to the east of the British isles, the one that starts at France, and ends at China - is that also one country? :rolleyes:
<--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
# 11
seashore321
Old 14-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have sent several things to Northern Ireland and they cost exactly the same as sending to the U.K. apart from really, really large items. Some of the smaller items I have sent have been received faster than ones I have sent 50 miles down the road!!?
# 12
jayok
Old 14-06-2008, 3:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
You are off your rocker
The Following User Says Thank You to jayok For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dundun
Old 16-06-2008, 8:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

most courrier company dhl city link etc class n ireland as an overseas package and cost ramps up loads

i find royal mail to be best option
Closed Thread