Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > What does any permitted route mean? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What does any permitted route mean?
Closed Thread
Views: 19,090
# 1
jono-gmail
Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What does any permitted route mean?

Ive just bought a standard return ticket from birmingham new street to aberystwyth
I was wondering that if on the return journey id be able to call in to cardiff for a couple of nights then use the same ticket to get back to new street

Cardiff isnt on the list of stations i stop at on the first leg of the journey by the way

thanks

jon
# 2
dzug1
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

No Cardiff is not on the route to or from Aberystwyth. It's miles away in the wrong direction.

You'll need a separate ticket.

Any permitted route means any route between the start and destination stations that is defined in the routing guide. AFAIK the only alternative routes for you would be between Birmingham and Wolverhampton. From there there is only one route - Telford Shrewsbury Newtown - to Aber.
# 3
jono-gmail
Old 12-06-2008, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks for that dzug, stopped me getting carried away, would of been off on the channel tunnel to france next!! ,lol
# 4
ticketcollector
Old 13-06-2008, 10:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ah yes the "any permitted" argument.

As a previous poster has stated "any permitted" means that you can go via any valid route between the start and finish on your tickets.
a valid route is defined as any acceptable route on the routing guide.

http://www.atoc.org/rsp/Routeing_Guide.asp
If you need help decrypting the jargon PM me.
Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
Ticket routing and rules expert.
Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
# 5
ticketcollector
Old 13-06-2008, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Birmingham N St part of Birmingham Routing Group
Aberystwyth part of Machynlleth Routing Group

Only vaild route between Birmingham RG and Machynlleth RG is map CA
(http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/R...s/Map%20CA.jpg) which is via Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury.
Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
The Following User Says Thank You to ticketcollector For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
DailyClicker
Old 13-06-2008, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello Jon!

I have had the exact same confusion problem but travelling in London.

It's not nice being stopped and 'verbally abused' by RPIs when they accuse you of travelling on an 'invalid route' but the ticket says 'Any Route Permitted'

How on earth does that make sense =P

It's not as if we are trying to travel in the opposite direction and back, I was only 15 mins away from my destination.

Why do they not say,

'Any Permitted Route' or 'Valid Routes Only'

instead of 'Any Route Permitted'

Would make much more sense and make more people question it, but there where can we find out what routes are permitted if ticketcollector on here wasnt as kind to post that link.

But even using that link confuses me greatly.

Ohhh well, I suppose it's UK rail travel =)
# 7
ticketcollector
Old 14-06-2008, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You need a degree in Rocket Science to understand the routing guide (even then it hasn't been updated since 2007)
# 8
tiggert
Old 09-11-2011, 4:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Stopping en route

Reading the atoc document, it mentions that if the route is the shortest distance between departure and destination, then it is a permitted route.
It doesn't mention if a stop and a change of train, as long as on that same route, would be valid. Does anyone know?
E.g: The shortest route between A and B passes through station C. Would I be allowed to get off the train at C, and get another train from there (not coming from A) that follows the same remainder of the route to B?

Thanks,
T.
# 9
HappyMJ
Old 09-11-2011, 4:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggert View Post
Reading the atoc document, it mentions that if the route is the shortest distance between departure and destination, then it is a permitted route.
It doesn't mention if a stop and a change of train, as long as on that same route, would be valid. Does anyone know?
E.g: The shortest route between A and B passes through station C. Would I be allowed to get off the train at C, and get another train from there (not coming from A) that follows the same remainder of the route to B?

Thanks,
T.
It's not always the shortest distance either. A high speed train might be longer distance but get there quicker.

You can usually get off and on the train on your way to the destination.

I went once to Dublin via Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stafford, Crewe, Chester and Holyhead jumping off the train at each point wandering around having a pint and then continued on the next train. All that for 30.
# 10
Voyager2002
Old 09-11-2011, 4:40 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggert View Post

Thanks,
T.
Almost certainly yes (unless your ticket is restricted to specific trains).
Closed Thread